Thread: Is this spam??

Is this spam??

I consider this spam.
    I have been contacted from within my contact form through my linux forum you see in my sig. It is as follows,
    --------------------------------

I'm with a data center in St. Louis, which specializes in complex hosting.
    Who may I contact about the possibility of your company moving their server to a different data center?

Thanks, Brian
    Tel: 1-800-932-2354 ext. 3138
    1-314-621-9991 ext. 3138
    Email: [email protected]
    Cybercon.com
    Internet Datacenter Hosting and Managed Services

--------------------------------
    So not fully understanding what he meant I replied with
    Hello Brian,
    I am David. Owner of Linuxboards.org. I lease the server I am on from
    servermatrix.com and have total root access and control over it. Please
    reply with a more brief idea of what you want to pursue.
    Thank You
    Regards,
    David
    And his final reply as of now is:
    Hi David:

If you would like a competitive quote on a Dedicated Server, I'd be
    happy to do that for you. You of course would have complete admin access
    to it, in our secure, 7 x 24 x 365 manned data center. If you would be
    so kind as to provide me with your server specifications, I'd like to
    see if we can save you some money. (CPU, Operating System, RAM, Hard
    disk space, additional software, IP's, etc.)

Thanks, Brian
    Who would want to host with a data center that is going to be blacklisted everywhere? A datacenter that supports spam?
    Some might not consider this spam but I do as I didnt ask for this email. Is sending offers through a contact form when not asking for offers spam?
    Dave

Just tell him you are not interested in his services and to please not contact you at all in the future. IMO, there is no purpose in pursuing this further; it apparently was not mass-sent to many mailboxes with whom the salesperson had no connection or knowledge, and thus I don't think you'd have the strongest of cases. Also, he isn't really posing a threat to anybody by sending just you (or selected admins) sales pitches.

Originally posted by SniperDevil
    Just tell him you are not interested in his services and to please not contact you at all in the future. IMO, there is no purpose in pursuing this further; it apparently was not mass-sent to many mailboxes with whom the salesperson had no connection or knowledge.
    I had no intention to forward to abuse or anything and was in mind to tell him im am not interested. I just dont think its right to do is all. I can picture this being a bigger subject if ev1 or servermatrix did something like this. Its no big deal in my shoe, I get way more spam then that
    Thanks for your input.
    Dave

I would not have entered into a dialog with him, David. Since you have, if you don't want to receive more mailings you could politely request to be removed from his mailing list. Include a Bcc to yourself for documentation in case you need it later.

I wouldn't consider this to be spam at all. This is no more than a sales call, and a rather polite one at that. I would politely decline his offer in return, wish him luck and move on. These types of calls are a fact of life, and I wouldn't hold it against him or the company he represents.

Edit: Looking at it closer, he was extremely polite. He started off by saying who he was, who he represented and the nature of his call right up front. Heck, I was in your position, had any reason to be unhappy with my server provider and this guy could show a good business case for moving (and he checked out after a little research), I might be inclined to give him my business based on how elegantly he approached it all. Good for him!
    Last edited by the_pm; 05-05-2005 at 10:53 PM.
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Everybody has thier points. I politely declined his offer. I just wanted everybodies say in what this should be considered as. Moving on.
    Dave

If you apply the widely accepted definition of spam as 'Unsolicited Bulk Email", you'd have to agree that your example wouldn't qualify. What you received appears to be a legitimate 1-on-1 sales call. Although it may have been unsolicited, that single fact alone doesn't automatically make it spam.

-B

Originally posted by TMX
    If you apply the widely accepted definition of spam as 'Unsolicited Bulk Email", you'd have to agree that your example wouldn't qualify. What you received appears to be a legitimate 1-on-1 sales call. Although it may have been unsolicited, that single fact alone doesn't automatically make it spam.

-B
    True. Good point.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>