* Flash video - help please

I was asked by my employer to add video to the company website. I was given a 400mb mpeg2 file and no software. My pc at work is a 733p3 128mb and not exactly video editing material. I also don't have a sound card!

Anyways, I decided on using flash video as it seems to compress pretty well with the free RIVA flv encoder. Does anyone else have any experience using flash video on a mainstream website (mostly farmers wil be looking at this). And does anyone know of any free video editing tools?

I am thinking about purchasing RIVA PRODUCER LITE($30) or SWISHVIDEO($50). Also I need a free tool to slice up the video. Any recomendations?

Or should I just stick with mpeg or avi or quicktime or real? My boss wants streaming ("I want to play the video directly from the site") but I'm not sure if thats very 56k friendly!

Cheers, and thanks in advance!

not really too sure, but i think its a good excuse to ask ur employer for a brand spanking new pc, "for video editing"

I think flash is perfect. You dont' need mpeg video on a website, load times are usually quite long. Flash can be a great way to get your point across. Do you have a link? As for the 56k part, there is a feature in Flash that allows you to monitor the data levels required while the movie is playing. You can monitor this and check to see if it will be too much for a 56k modem. Also, I would recommend a pre-loader for say 75% of the video prior to playing.
    [color=#666666]Ackoo Solutions, LLC

Wink

Thanks a lot for the tips. And yes I probably will try to get a new pc out of the deal! As for the link I will put it up in this thread as soon as I have a working demo.

I was worried that flash video might not be 'mature' enough for use on this site, but looking over the options it seems like the right choice.

Thanks again

Not at all. I think Flash is a very mature choice for streaming video. It makes sense on many levels:

1. It's the most universally accepted peripheral plug-in available (doesn't make it perfect, but it makes it a great choice).

2. Flash compression is actually pretty decent.

3. You can create your own Flash controls - it's much more versatile than other Plug-ins.

4. You can add effects right into Flash movies with needing expensive video editing software.

5. It's the easiest format to seamlessly integrate into a site's visual design - all visual elements are completely customizable, and they will take up exactly as much room as you specify.

6. Flash does have the ability to export to handheld devices. Though not many are suited to Flash yet, and it's tough to get a good streaming connection, in the future, these will be lesser obstacles and you'll be glad you went the Flash route.

Good choice sir!
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design