Thread: AWStats Issue

AWStats Issue

I installed AWStats on my server today, to replace webstats, and I have run into a problem. Whenever i try to run the script (via the web, its already installed), I get the following error:

[Thu May 05 16:13:09 2005] [crit] [client 64.38.194.13] (13)Permission denied: /usr/local/awstats/.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file, ensure it is readable

Now there is no .htaccess file in the directory nor should there be. Any ideas?

I think this is the wrong forum - should have this in technical support.

Originally posted by GIGANET
    I think this is the wrong forum - should have this in technical support.
    You mean technical and security issues

Cheers
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Re: AWStats Issue

Originally posted by jpowers
    I installed AWStats on my server today, to replace webstats, and I have run into a problem. Whenever i try to run the script (via the web, its already installed), I get the following error:

[Thu May 05 16:13:09 2005] [crit] [client 64.38.194.13] (13)Permission denied: /usr/local/awstats/.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file, ensure it is readable

Now there is no .htaccess file in the directory nor should there be. Any ideas?
    If it fits better there, the mods may move it. Regardless, anybody have any idea whats going on?

check to be sure the file is not in /usr/local/awstats

hidden files (file starting with a dot) probably don't show up automatically for you in ls.

try running ls with the -la switches:
    ls -la

The error you mention is telling you the .htaccess file is there, but it can't read it. Apache isn't going to tell you the file is there but unreadable if it really isn't there. I actually had this problem setting up a shopping cart for a customer. for whatever reason, the shopping cart installed a .htaccess file, but didn't set the proper permissions.
    Protollix - Sean Finkel
    Email
    Website
    Shared Hosting :: Cloud Hosting

I have already ran an ls -al on all directories in and below the awstats root. I have also run a find and a slocate, nothing....

[awstats]# ls -al
    total 28
    drwx------ 5 1007 jacobp 4096 May 5 10:12 .
    drwxr-xr-x 20 root root 4096 May 5 10:43 ..
    drwxrwxrwx 3 apache apache 4096 Feb 25 15:29 docs
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 apache apache 6721 Feb 5 12:21 README.TXT
    drwxrwxrwx 4 apache apache 4096 Feb 25 15:29 tools
    drwxrwxrwx 7 apache apache 4096 Feb 25 15:29 wwwroot

find ./ -name .htaccess

slocate .htaccess

nothing under the /usr/local/awstats directory.....

I know apache wouldnt complain unless there is something there or a misconfiguration.... I just cant find it! The odd thing is the acutal error:

[Fri May 06 11:01:43 2005] [crit] [client 64.38.194.13] (13)Permission denied: /usr/local/awstats/.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file, ensure it is readable

It clearly states the .htaccess file is in /usr/local/awstats but its not there!!!! Arg....

ls -al /usr/local/awstats/.htaccess
    ls: /usr/local/awstats/.htaccess: No such file or directory

Please help, my sanity is running thin....

do you have the awstats binary/script installed in the /usr/local/awstats root? Or do you copy it out to your websites cgi-bin or other directory?

try creating a empty .htaccess file there and make it world readable. do you still get the error?
    Protollix - Sean Finkel
    Email
    Website
    Shared Hosting :: Cloud Hosting

Originally posted by Protollix
    do you have the awstats binary/script installed in the /usr/local/awstats root? Or do you copy it out to your websites cgi-bin or other directory?

try creating a empty .htaccess file there and make it world readable. do you still get the error?
    The script is installed as defaulted, so its under the /usr/local/awstats directory. The Aliases are in the httpd.conf file and the directory is setup correctly, I think (I am not an apache or htaccess expert):

#
    # Directives to allow use of AWStats as a CGI
    #
    Alias /awstatsclasses "/usr/local/awstats/wwwroot/classes/"
    Alias /awstatscss "/usr/local/awstats/wwwroot/css/"
    Alias /awstatsicons "/usr/local/awstats/wwwroot/icon/"
    ScriptAlias /awstats/ "/usr/local/awstats/wwwroot/cgi-bin/"

#
    # This is to permit URL access to scripts/files in AWStats directory.
    #
    <Directory "/usr/local/awstats/wwwroot">
    Options None
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
    </Directory>

I copied an existing htaccess file that requires a valid username and password to the location in the error, no luck. Same error.....
    Blah...

wooooo guys im sorry but i have to say this
    im sure you all know that the webstat script made a big security mess!
    and i realy realy suggest not to use chmod 777 on your servers unless you realy realy have to (drwxrwxrwx)
    leme tel you somthing u mabe already know but then again mabe not :
    from the webstat.pl script wankers (that means hakers ;> ) was able to exploit the hole server that are runing that script, but more omprtent after you got ridd of all the pests and back doors root kits etc.. there is still 1 more back door that is very very hard to find and thats the cgi or php script (bag) they mey have planted on your apache zone (for all that dont know what it is its a script so small that can be planted on your index.php even or in any other file they want and its like a telnet or ssh access ..)
    look for small .cgi or .php files in funny dates and as users www or nobody etc..
    stay safe and 10x for your time