What do I need to know?

I've read a lot of webhostingtalk (especially the reseller forum), and I've noted many people lamenting the kiddie hosters who buy a reseller package and whmautopilot, and call it a day.

To be perfectly truthful that's about where I am right now. I am a web developer, and I can say that I'm competent in both graphic design, and web programming. I have a good overall knowledge of computer systems, and an understanding of how various software, hardware, and protocols come together to make our wonderful intarweb... but if you asked me to buy a box, configure it with the software it needed to run smoothly and securly as a web server, and then get it connected, I couldn't do it.

What I do isn't a serious business as such. On one hand, I host my personal sites and design clients, and on the other I run a sort of bargain community host for a demographic that doesn't have a whole lot of cash -- the hosting I do isn't to make loads of cash or to be the best. That having been said, I want to provide a service that has acceptable standards of quality.

So here's my question: as a reseller, what knowledge should I have that brings me out of the "kiddie host" category?

Hmmm knowledge-Well for a reseller you dont need much, "Kiddie Hosts" is more refererred to people who take your money and then dont provide support and things of that nature, Unless you get your own box your knowledge wont need to be as broad, You can work up to it by reading some of the tutorials at WHT and Searching google.

Re: What do I need to know?

Originally posted by PMichaud
    What I do isn't a serious business as such. On one hand, I host my personal sites and design clients, and on the other I run a sort of bargain community host for a demographic that doesn't have a whole lot of cash -- the hosting I do isn't to make loads of cash or to be the best. That having been said, I want to provide a service that has acceptable standards of quality.

So here's my question: as a reseller, what knowledge should I have that brings me out of the "kiddie host" category?
    I don't it's specific knowledge you seek. What you need is experience, and this will come in time.

Experience will show you how to communicate with customers effectively, how to manage a variety of problems, and basically what works and what doesn't. Only through your own unique experience will you learn how to achieve your desired 'acceptable standard of quality.'
    IceStorm.com - Top Provider of Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, and Cloud VPS Plans.
    Why IceStorm? Two Words: Proven Reliability.

Re: Re: What do I need to know?

Originally posted by icestorm
    Experience will show you how to communicate with customers effectively, how to manage a variety of problems, and basically what works and what doesn't. Only through your own unique experience will you learn how to achieve your desired 'acceptable standard of quality.'
    Learning from experience is good, I'll tell you that. However, make sure to be professional in all responses to customers and potential customers at all costs. Unless they tell you to lighten up and just 'chill', act professional. Heck, half of my client base wants me to be laid back now, I guess it's just my style You have to find a unique way to communicating with your customers, that is a good way to make sure they are comfortable.
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management Search Engine Optimization Pay Per Click Email Marketing

Thanks guys.

They'll be comfortable, I promise... I do branding for my work, and this site's brand is very bubbly and irreverent. A banner ad we have reads:

Online Tournaments. Web Hosting. MyDomain.com 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

What can I say, I have a teenage/young adult male demographic.

Thanks for the advice, and of course, rock on.

Originally posted by PMichaud
    Thanks guys.

They'll be comfortable, I promise... I do branding for my work, and this site's brand is very bubbly and irreverent. A banner ad we have reads:

Online Tournaments. Web Hosting. MyDomain.com 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

What can I say, I have a teenage/young adult male demographic.

Thanks for the advice, and of course, rock on.
    The fact that you care enough to ask these sort of questions takes you out of the kiddie host class.
    Dana aka Laci My Alter Ego
    Former WHT Moderator

Originally posted by Laci
    The fact that you care enough to ask these sort of questions takes you out of the kiddie host class.
    Certainly a good first step!
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management Search Engine Optimization Pay Per Click Email Marketing

as a reseller, what knowledge should I have that brings me out of the "kiddie host" category?
    The thought, consideration and responsibility to choose a reseller provider based on performance, stability and overall value vs price point - thereby enabling you to provide your clients with a ligitimate, reliable, sustainable business solution at reasonable prices vs a "whack" of space and bandwith at the lowest possible price....