Congress weighs 4 IDs for licenses

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/con...NlYwNsbjE2OTM-

I am not sure about you, but even for me it would be hard to get 4 IDs.

{Please remove this accidental post}
    TS-Host, A Tulip Company - Hosting since 1995! - AS7219
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Bargain Dedicated Servers and High performance Dedicated!
    http://www.ts-host.com/ -@- [email protected] -@- 1-800-977-TOWN

If they feel that is necessary, then so be it. I like same day renewals....
    TS-Host, A Tulip Company - Hosting since 1995! - AS7219
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Bargain Dedicated Servers and High performance Dedicated!
    http://www.ts-host.com/ -@- [email protected] -@- 1-800-977-TOWN

Re: Congress weighs 4 IDs for licenses

Originally posted by Torith
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/con...NlYwNsbjE2OTM-

I am not sure about you, but even for me it would be hard to get 4 IDs.
    That's a bit of an exaggeration. You have to verify 4 things, but some may overlap on a single piece of ID... a few lines down they then clarify:

Most who apply for new licenses - and presumably, those seeking renewals - would have to prove that they are in the USA legally, document their Social Security number and home address, and show a photo ID.
    Ask yourself a simple question: should the government be giving out "identification" if they haven't verified age, home address, and a picture ID? What good is the ID if you don't verify those three simple things?

You're probably saying: ok, but what about the SSN? The SSN is already used as the de facto national identifier, it helps link the state ID with a federal standard for identification, creating a 1:1 mapping of license->person, which is what you really NEED if you're using the ID for security purposes (such as screening people who are getting on airplanes). Without the SSN, you can't distinguish between two people in the same town (think big cities: LA, NYC, etc) with the same name.

I agree with this legislation. If you're not verifying the identity of the person, it makes no sense to produce a card that pretends to identify them.

my god, it was hell for me to get an ID with 2 types of proof. It was even harder for me to open up a checking account...
    Kerry Jones

New Jersey has like a "15 point proof" or 13 or 11 or something...and different things are worth different amounts of points, which basically amounts to 4 IDs, sometimes even more, not sure if you can pull ito ff with less but yeah, it is a pain in the @$SE

or i could be totally wrong and just have mae an @$$ out of myself
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

Originally posted by Lord
    New Jersey has like a "15 point proof" or 13 or 11 or something...and different things are worth different amounts of points, which basically amounts to 4 IDs, sometimes even more, not sure if you can pull ito ff with less but yeah, it is a pain in the @$SE

or i could be totally wrong and just have mae an @$$ out of myself
    It actually wasn't that hard. I think it was 12 points ( don't remember).

Basically just bring your passport, a bill (to verify address), Social security card, and your old driver's license (if it is not expired yet).

Oh. I think they also accept your health card.

They have a bunch of listed things(ids you can bring) in a nice easy to read brochere. I think it's something similar to the soon to be law discussed in this thread.
    remy