Need Advice on the best dedicated for me

Here's the skinny:

I'm currently on a top end vps and never use but maybe 15 to 20% of bandwidth / space.

My application is a cgi-based script

If I set maximum connections much over 120 I get server errors

If i leave it at 120 i get the max reached

From time to time, maybe every 30 to 45 days ... apache will stall and I'm down until it's restarted. I now have a safeguard in place to monitor apache every 5 minutes and re-start if it goes down ... this should eliminate all day outages ... time will tell.

My traffic levels are off just now to where I'm not reaching max connections, but as soon as I grow more, I'll be back to the place where i have to look at a dedicated.

Can someone tell me what to look for in a managed dedicated? Please talk in elementary terms as I'm lame on the tech side.

My current tech estimates that a dedicated will allow about double the current max connections or perhaps a tad more if tweaked correctly.

240 max connections on a dedicated seems small to me. I'm not questioning my tech's competency ... I just mention it so you will know my application is cpu (or some resource) hungry. I know nothing about it.

Thanks
    I approve this message.

PM me and I'll get some discussion going between you and my current host, who offers FABULOUS deals on the type of machine that you would need. What exactly are you looking for, spec-wise?

that's the reason for the post

i don't have a clue and was hoping for advice along those lines

perhaps someone will happen along that recognizes these kind of circumstances

thanks
    I approve this message.