Life Without Internet.

Some of you may remember me mentioning a week long vacation away from the internet. In this post, I will let you know how the vacation was.

Day One
    Whenever you hear someone speak of giving up an addiction, they always tell you that the first day is the most difficult. For me, this saying couldn't be more true. I had previously planned to go outside and have a damn good time. I always travel on foot because i have no car. When i woke up Monday, it was 10:00AM, and while walking down the hallway, i looked outside to see that it was extremely gray. Soon after, a hard mix of snow and rain came falling down. This weather anomoly lasted for 5 minutes, and quit imediatelly after. Only to return about 5 times throughout the day. The rest of my time was spent listening to the 7 cds i had previously burned, and watching tv. About sixteen hours after initially waking up, i stepped out of a television induced blackout to realize i had been stairing at my wall for nearly a half hour. The internet did go through my mind sparadically throughout the day, for a few hours i took up the habbit of smacking myself in the face whenever i thought of it.

Day Two
    I woke up at 2:00PM that day. The internet went through my mind a few dozen times, but i fought off the urge to come back. The weather had improved a bit over night. It was still fairly cold. Around 6PM i felt like getting away from the family that was only worsening the stress, so i wandered out into an area of my town that is under construction, only to get lost out in the woods. One of the terrible things about getting lost in the woods is that 1) I've been afraid of being in the woods at night since i saw the blair witch project and 2) I'm super duper afraid of snakes, and I could hear a constant hissing noise through my entire trip out there. After about 2 hours of lostness, I made my way out onto some property that the gravel pit owns (they own about half of the property in my town) and i was able to navigate from there, to return to my house

Day Three
    Fairly decent day. I didn't go out, most of my time was spent listening to the radio, watching television, and watching some movies. The weather outside was great, but due to all the hiking i did the day before, my feet were very stiff, and i had a few blisters. Thankfully, due to all the tv watching i had previously done, my brain had a chance to adjust, and get used to extended tv-watching periods.

Day Four
    Overnight, i started worrying about the possibility that someone would do something to any of my websites while i was gone. Mistakinly, I hadn't previously picked someone to admin my sites while i was gone. So, I logged on to check up on everything, and make sure all my sites were running stable. I did find some abuse attempts, but there wasn't anything major. But, i have realized that because i logged on, I'm kinda stuck here.

The Moral of the Story
    While it is good to take a vacation every now and then, you shouldn't force yourself to do it. The ideal solution would be to balance internet and reality time, and to never over-do any activity.

...different.

Good Moral!

It is alllll about balance, not too much and neither too less.

Balance your lifestyle.

Whenever I am on vacation, I make it a habit to check my emails/websites atleast once a day from a cyber-cafe. It is nice checking it from a beach.

Re: Life Without Internet.

Originally posted by mikeylove
    . . . The ideal solution would be to balance internet and reality time, and to never over-do any activity.
    I don't see internet as non reality. It's just something I do, and it's part of my life. I've done very well from the net thus far, but I don't spend every waking moment online. There's a balance you find.

Good luck with you finding that balance for yourself.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Originally posted by mikeylove
    . . . and to never over-do any activity.
    I'm not sure I know what "over-doing an activity" is.

I do everything in excess.

It seems to balance out that way.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Don't you have a job? or go to school? How old are you again?

It says his age in his profile...
    December 13th, 1951

i'm 21.

i will walk up town today for the job.

out of school.

Oh sorry - got the wrong guy. haha.

Maybe he was talking about him...

we may never know.

Where do you work? If you don't mind sharing?

I am going to get a job.

Laundry Mat.

It'll be fun to tell people "I launder things".

Yes, i am a slack bitch. The forum doesn't really need another post-off where somebody tries to get me to feel bad about my life.

when i'm on vacations it turns on my radar to find internet cafes i spot them like water in the sahara .. i don't go but the temptation is BIG
    enjoy your flaming and hypocracy

research indicates that great insights and discoveries begin on the fifth day of self-imposed exiles.

I was right! I was right! I knew you wouldn't make it for 7 days .
    <?php include_once('signature'); ?>

Every year, I do this for 1-2 weeks. Not a "self-imposed" as in "You are not allowed to be online" exile, but a vacation. Usually I end up going back home for a couple of weeks and relaxing. While I have my laptop (or previously, had), I refuse to login for anything "minor", and I've got my client's phone #'s on my cell in case anything major does indeed come up (I think I've had to use them once or twice in the past couple of years, who knows this year).
    It is quite refreshing actually to take a step back from the online areas and commerce, especially when you're immersed in it 24/7 as some sort of a service provider. I remember spending the week in Kirkland last year, at a friend's house, and just waking up at the crack of 6am, going out on the deck and sitting there for 3 or 4 hours, watching all kinds of critters (bugs, birds, raccoons, etc). Was quite good!

Is there life offline? You better believe it!! It's incredibly nice to just get out every once in a while and hide from online stuff, even
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons