Thread: Intel CPU.

Intel CPU.

I am interested to know which would be considered the best Intel CPU to buy. I am NOT interested in any other brands. I will not even disguss AMD. There is several version of Intel now, It will be going in a high quality motherboard with an Intel chipset. I probably would buy an A-Bit motherboard to suit the CPU. It will be overclocked, it will be used for graphics and movies and the Internet but WON'T be used for Games. It would have a minimum of 1 GB of Ram.

Whilst I have my own ideas ir is good to get other peoples opinions as well. If you have suggestions for a mother board that would be helpful. I will probably put a Matrox video card in it unless somebody can suggest a better card. I want one that will support duel 21" Monitors at 2048 x 1536 85Hz

Thanks in advance for your input.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

Hi Doc,

I know they have the 3.8GHz Pentium 4 LGA775 (this is the new Pentium 4 with the pins on the motherboard instead of the chip) out, but I would wait a little bit because I believe Intel announced they don't plan to release a 4 GHz.

However, sometime very soon this Summer, Intel is supposed to be releasing the Pentium 4-D (I believe this is what it is called) which will be dual core. But each processor will be running independently. It will be probably at least 2006 until they release the Presler, in which the dual chips will be bridged (and run simultaneously- i.e. 2 x 3.8 GHz = like running double the 3.8 GHz's processing power.)

If you are just looking to build now and not in the near future, then go with something like a Pentium 3.4 Ghz LGA775 (this is what I'm using) or the 3.6Ghz. The price difference between the 3.4 and 3.6 VS the 3.8 is too huge to justify an upgrade for .2 or .4 GHz more.

I believe a 3.4 is around $275 (US), a 3.6 is $350, and a 3.8 is $600+. It will be your choice to get the 2MB cache version, in which you will be tacking on at least another $200 to each price listed above. Good luck!
    InterNich LLC
    Founder

Bringing you PicResize.com (More than 95 million pictures resized since 2005)

Originally posted by Nich
    Hi Doc,

I know they have the 3.8GHz Pentium 4 LGA775 (this is the new Pentium 4 with the pins on the motherboard instead of the chip) out, but I would wait a little bit because I believe Intel announced they don't plan to release a 4 GHz.

However, sometime very soon this Summer, Intel is supposed to be releasing the Pentium 4-D (I believe this is what it is called) which will be dual core. But each processor will be running independently. It will be probably at least 2006 until they release the Presler, in which the dual chips will be bridged (and run simultaneously- i.e. 2 x 3.8 GHz = like running double the 3.8 GHz's processing power.)

If you are just looking to build now and not in the near future, then go with something like a Pentium 3.4 Ghz LGA775 (this is what I'm using) or the 3.6Ghz. The price difference between the 3.4 and 3.6 VS the 3.8 is too huge to justify an upgrade for .2 or .4 GHz more.

I believe a 3.4 is around $275 (US), a 3.6 is $350, and a 3.8 is $600+. It will be your choice to get the 2MB cache version, in which you will be tacking on at least another $200 to each price listed above. Good luck!
    Thanks for the info. I take it I would be better going for the LGA775 than the 478 ??

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

Yes, go with LGA775. Socket 478 is being phased out now.

Also go with a 955 series chipset or better motherboard. That will ensure that you can upgrade to dual cores when the time comes.

IMO the best cpu out for Intel right now is the 660 running at 3.6Ghz. It has 2mb of cache and 64 bit extensions, so it more than makes up the 200mhz loss of the 3.8Ghz cpu.
    Repeat after me... ProSupport is the best... Prosupport is...
    ProSupport Host Support System - OUT NOW! Grab a copy yourself and see what the hype is about!
    VertiHost Inc. - We run a quality business. Do you?

Originally posted by Pheaton
    Yes, go with LGA775. Socket 478 is being phased out now.

Also go with a 955 series chipset or better motherboard. That will ensure that you can upgrade to dual cores when the time comes.

IMO the best cpu out for Intel right now is the 660 running at 3.6Ghz. It has 2mb of cache and 64 bit extensions, so it more than makes up the 200mhz loss of the 3.8Ghz cpu.
    If your talking about this one Intel Pentium 4 660 64bit(3.6Ghz/PRESCOTT/2MB/800 FSB/0.09u/LGA775/HT/Execute Disable Bit/EM64T/Intel

It costs $850 Thats a bit pricey in my opinion.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

Originally posted by IvialisJonathan
    The Pentium 4 640 3.2Ghz is still a good chip. The 660 chip is over double the price of the 640. It is not worth it in my opinion.
    I think I will have to go with the 630

Intel Pentium 4 630 64bit(3.0Ghz/PRESCOTT/2MB/800 FSB/0.09u/LGA775/HT/Execute Disable Bit/EM64T/Inte HW-CPU-P4-630 $343.00 AUD The 630 is another hundred dollars.

With the prices dropping so fast it is just bad ecomomics to pay anymore for a CPU and no matter what model you by it is out dated by the time you get it home anyway.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

Originally posted by TheDoctor
    I think I will have to go with the 630

Intel Pentium 4 630 64bit(3.0Ghz/PRESCOTT/2MB/800 FSB/0.09u/LGA775/HT/Execute Disable Bit/EM64T/Inte HW-CPU-P4-630 $343.00 AUD The 630 is another hundred dollars.

With the prices dropping so fast it is just bad ecomomics to pay anymore for a CPU and no matter what model you by it is out dated by the time you get it home anyway.

Doc
    thats v true doc.

as long as it works ok and lasts a long time and u get the most out of it who cares if its out of date anyway?

If your talking about this one Intel Pentium 4 660 64bit(3.6Ghz/PRESCOTT/2MB/800 FSB/0.09u/LGA775/HT/Execute Disable Bit/EM64T/Intel

It costs $850 Thats a bit pricey in my opinion.

Doc
    Well you did ask for the best Intel cpu to buy...

I wouldnt buy the 660 either. I currently have a 550, and if I were to replace it, I would replace it with a 640.
    ProSupport Host Support System - OUT NOW! Grab a copy yourself and see what the hype is about!

Thank you all for your help it is much appreciated. Now all I have to do is check a Motherboard and video card. I think the new mother boards used the new PCI video cards, I haven't actually tried one of them yet.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

the new PCI is PCI express, I take it you are more a 2d person to be using matrox(btw, I love my matrox cards!). Matrox has some PCI Express cards, but they are very expensive, if you want a good balanced card you may look at one of the lowerend ATI's using PCI Express. (But it won't be as bright or look as good as your current matrox)

Thanks for the info. I take it I would be better going for the LGA775 than the 478 ??

Doc
    Hi,
    Yes, the previous Pentium 4 478 has 478 pins. The LGA775 uses 775 pins and performs much better than it's 478 counterpart.

As far as the motherboards go....I've been an ASUS user for many many years now, and their boards are great. You might have an easier time if you visited different motherboard manufacturer's web sites, as you'll usually be able to see their "latest, best and greatest" boards. Then once you have written a few different ones down from different brands (ASUS, Gigabyte, etc.), search the price.

It's better than trying to compare features (which aren't always correctly listed) on Newegg and other online stores.

Good luck!
    InterNich LLC
    Founder

Hi, Doc
    Just out of curiosity (don't shoot ), but why no AMD?
    As far as the CPU, I'm actually doing a bit of shopping myself, Current AMD cpu is fine, but the board is weak as anything, so I'll convert that into a secondary pc.

What I've found, and it certainly may not be the "best", but the best that I'll look @ right now, for my budget is the Prescott 800MHz FSB 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 processor, which newegg has out for $232 right now. A 3g processor which has been overclocked to 3.8 with HT . Not a bad little deal there

As far as video :
    PCI is not the best choice in the world, AGP has always been, especially if you're into gaming, movies, etc on the PC. Most of those require a hell of a refresh rate which I've yet to see PCI achieve.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

AMD has some far Superior chips IMO and I am a die hard Intel fan. Since recently I had totally discredited AMD but I finally decided I should have a look in to there newer technology (not there old overheating crap which left a bad taste in my mouth). I was really impressed. Although expensive the AMD FX-55 Blows away my 640 in games and most programs. Also AMD boars will support SLI technology if you plan on needing some superior graphics. Just another point of view.

Jeff
    Xoopiter.com:: The new standard in Web Hosting

Originally posted by linux-tech
    Hi, Doc
    As far as the CPU, I'm actually doing a bit of shopping myself, Current AMD cpu is fine, but the board is weak as anything, so I'll convert that into a secondary pc.

What I've found, and it certainly may not be the "best", but the best that I'll look @ right now, for my budget is the Prescott 800MHz FSB 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 processor, which newegg has out for $232 right now. A 3g processor which has been overclocked to 3.8 with HT . Not a bad little deal there

As far as video :
    PCI is not the best choice in the world, AGP has always been, especially if you're into gaming, movies, etc on the PC. Most of those require a hell of a refresh rate which I've yet to see PCI achieve.
    Well firstly I am not into gaming. I like the intel chipset I find the VIa very troublesome and have been told the SIS is even worst. Back in the days of the 386 the AMD 386 DX 40 was better than Intel however at that stage the rest of the board was the same. Here in Australia all the cheap nasty board are AMD with Via chipsets and I am always getting clients with this sort of configuration having compatabilty problems with hardware and software. I can honestly say the Intel CPU and Intel chipset have given me no trouble. I did have one incident where I thought the CPU was faulty I rang Intel and within a week they had sent a carrier to my place with a replacement and to take the old one. Not bad seeing it came from Taiwan or the States, not sure which. It turned out it was the video card not theCPU that was faulty. Intel didn't have an 850 so they gave me a 1000 Mhz .

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

Hi, Doc

As far as video :
    APG is only 4X/8X I believe where as PCI-E is X16. I read some where that none of the current graphics card use the PCI-E slots to there full potential but will in the future. Once they do take advantage of the speeds in the future the difference should be noticeable. I also heard they will be fazing out APG over the next 2-3 years but this may be inaccurate.

Jeff

Originally posted by Xoopiter-Jeff
    Although expensive the AMD FX-55 Blows away my 640 in games and most programs.
    I'm a hardcore Intel fan also, but I too am looking into the newer AMDs. I've heard and read about the performance and affordability of some new AMDs VS Intel.

However, comparing the AMD FX-55 to the Intel 640 is like comparing a BMW to a Toyota Corolla.

FX-55 = $800+
    640 = ~$250
    InterNich LLC
    Founder

I'm a hardcore Intel fan also, but I too am looking into the newer AMDs. I've heard and read about the performance and affordability of some new AMDs VS Intel.

However, comparing the AMD FX-55 to the Intel 640 is like comparing a BMW to a Toyota Corolla.

FX-55 = $800+
    640 = ~$250
    Well I have been told by MANY Intel fans the 640 should be better at processing data and multi tasking compared to the FX-55 but from my own personal experience the FX-55 rocks and the 57 will be amazing!

Jeff

APG is only 4X/8X I believe where as PCI-E is X16. I read some where that none of the current graphics card use the PCI-E slots to there full potential but will in the future. Once they do take advantage of the speeds in the future the difference should be noticeable. I also heard they will be fazing out APG over the next 2-3 years but this may be inaccurate.

Jeff
    That sound about right. I have only had a quick look at motherboards so far but all the ones I did look at seemed to have the PCI express not AGP. I wonder is the current problem with them related to the mother board or card or software. I also wonder if they are firmware upgradable. everything else seems to be these days.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

Well I have been told by MANY Intel fans the 640 should be better at processing data and multi tasking compared to the FX-55 but from my own personal experience the FX-55 rocks and the 57 will be amazing!

Jeff
    I will definitely look into FX series, or the higher end 64's. Anyway, this is Doc's thread about Intel CPUs
    InterNich LLC
    Founder

That sound about right. I have only had a quick look at motherboards so far but all the ones I did look at seemed to have the PCI express not AGP. I wonder is the current problem with them related to the mother board or card or software. I also wonder if they are firmware upgradable. everything else seems to be these days.

Doc
    You can definitely upgrade firmware / drivers for the graphics card in the future, but this probably won't make any drastic changes so that a full potential is used.

However, I would definitely NOT recommend to get an AGP motherboard as there's absolutely no point to going backwards. You could use a new graphics card for a couple years, and upgrade as I still see PCI-X sticking around.
    InterNich LLC
    Founder

I also heard they will be fazing out APG over the next 2-3 years but this may be inaccurate.
    Agp is far from obsolete, and, like I said, I've yet (yet) to see a PCI card beat it in any frame.
    if agp were to be fazed out over the next few years,top providers (such as nvidia, ATI) would stop making agp products, and stop researching into more capabilities for these.
    I VERY highly doubt that agp will be fazed out over the next few years. it's possible they'll expand it, as they have continued to do over the past few years , but that's unlikely.
    In addition:
    Agp is dedicated directly to one thing, and one thing only, graphics. PCI is geared for a rather large assortment of things, and as such lacks the dedicated abilities that AGP offers.

As far as AMD v. Intel
    I haven't noticed a huge performance benefit from either, honestly. I went from a Xeon 2.0 to a AMD 3200, haven't noticed too much of a performance issue between either. The only reason I'm looking for better is , well, because the system (board) occasionally doesn't like to read my drives right. It'll be interesting to compare the 775 with the AMD 3200 if/when I get it (It's on my wishlist right now )

Agp is dedicated directly to one thing, and one thing only, graphics. PCI is geared for a rather large assortment of things, and as such lacks the dedicated abilities that AGP offers.
    "PCI" slots are used for many things although I was under the impression "PCI-Express" slots are used only for graphics cards and far superior to APG in any standards. I have post in OCforums because I am not 100% sure.

Jeff

Heres an extract about PCI V AGP

Why should I care about PCI-Express?
    There are two main reasons to care about PCI-Expres: 1) PCI is now an old standard dating back to the early 90's and no longer fits our needs in terms of speed/performance. 2) AGP also is in a similar position as PCI now, and chipset manufacturers are killing AGP motherboard support in favor of the much faster PCI Express interface. This means you are looking at a forced transition in the graphic sector, thus you really don't have a lot of choice in the coming years.

While we've spent plenty of time and energy improving the speed of processors, memory, and other parts of the PC we've gone virtually nothing with the main connection betweern many devices-PCI. As such we are stuck with a technology in our PCs and Servers that still runs at the speeds and bandwidth we were comfortable with in the 90's. PCI as we know it is holding us back - it is a bottle neck - a limitation to the maximum performance of our systems.

We all want the most from our PC. To get the most out of our PC we must remove all bottlenecks (obstacles to performance). To that end we must turn to the next best alternative: PCI Express.

Easing into It - All about the Why?
    If you have read my guide to the Front Side Bus then you are familar with the analogy of a PC as being like a city with many road (buses) in it that move cars (data) to any number of destinations. Let's quickly revisit my explanation of PCI from that article:

PCI Bus- The PCI bus connects your expansion cards and drives to your processor and other sub systems. On most systems the bus speed of the PCI bus is 33MHz. If you go higher than that, then cards, drives, and other devices can have problems. The exception to this is found in servers. In some servers you have a special 64-bit (extra wide) 66MHz PCI slots that can accept special high-speed cards. Think of this as a double sized passing lane on a major road that allows higher speed cars to go through.

Now in my previous article I mentioned a special type of PCI (64 bit). The reason 64 bit helps is that it improves the bandwidth of the PCI Bus. Bandwidth, normally expressed in MB per second, is basically a measure of the amount of data that can be pushed through something at one time.

If you ever have sat in your car looking at the back bumper of another car during rush hour then you probably have a good idea of what's going on in the modern PCI Bus. You've got too many cars (data) going through too narrow and too slow a road (pci bus) at one time.

Bandwidth
    PCI Express in all it's flavors: 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x and 32x all have much greater bandwidth than basic PCI.

Common Buses and their Max Bandwidth
    PCI 132 MB/s
    AGP 8X 2,100 MB/s
    PCI Express 1x 250 [500]* MB/s
    PCI Express 2x 500 [1000]* MB/s
    PCI Express 4x 1000 [2000]* MB/s
    PCI Express 8x 2000 [4000]* MB/s
    PCI Express 16x 4000 [8000]* MB/s
    PCI Express 32x 8000 [16000]* MB/s
    IDE (ATA100) 100 MB/s
    IDE (ATA133) 133 MB/s
    SATA 150 MB/s
    Gigabit Ethernet 125 MB/s
    IEEE1394B [firewire] 100 MB/s

* Note - Since PCI Express is a serial based technology, data can be sent over the bus in two direction. Normal PCI is Parallel, and as such all data goes in one direction around the loop. Each 1x lane in PCI Express can transmit in both directions. In the table the first number is the bandwidth in one direction and the second number is the combined bandwidth in both directions.

Increased bandwidth can be equated into increased system performance. We've long known that to get the most out of your processor you need to get as much information into it as possible, as quickly as possible. Chipset designers have consistantly addressed this by increasing Front Side Bus speeds. The problem with this is that front side bus speed increases the speed of transfer between the memory and CPU but often you've got data that's coming from other sources that needs to get to the memory or CPU like drives, network traffic, video, etc. PCI Express addresses this problem head on by making it much faster and easier for data to get around the system.

source:- http://shop.store.yahoo.com/directron/expressguide.html

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

Jeff:
    If you're going to claim to know something about something, please, at least spell it right. It is AGP, it is not APG. AGP is defined as "Accelerated Graphics Port".

PCI-Express is a new and faster form of PCI, which is clearly set to replace AGP as the standard for graphics card slots.
    This about says it all right there, and every place that I've checked, double checked and triple checked verifies this (numerous tech forums, etc). PCI Express is just that, an updated version of PCI. Not that it wasn't needed, because the rates for PCI are a bit slow, but PCIE is not dedicated Graphics.

Currently, Yes, PCIE outshines AGP 8x, but AGP architecture will change, just as it has since it started, as all architecture will. PCI is one of the oldest out there, one of the most unchanging. It'll be refreshing to see the PCIE in use, but I don't think it'll ever replace AGP fully.

Of course, this is taking things way out of Doc's original question, and I apologize for that.

Re: Intel CPU.

I am interested to know which would be considered the best Intel CPU to buy. I am NOT interested in any other brands. I will not even disguss AMD. There is several version of Intel now, It will be going in a high quality motherboard with an Intel chipset. I probably would buy an A-Bit motherboard to suit the CPU. It will be overclocked, it will be used for graphics and movies and the Internet but WON'T be used for Games. It would have a minimum of 1 GB of Ram.

Whilst I have my own ideas ir is good to get other peoples opinions as well. If you have suggestions for a mother board that would be helpful. I will probably put a Matrox video card in it unless somebody can suggest a better card. I want one that will support duel 21" Monitors at 2048 x 1536 85Hz

Thanks in advance for your input.

Doc
    You should goto the nearest walmart or big named store and look for maximum pc mag. They just did a ranking on motherboards, chipsets, processors and a big thing on what intel is doing next.
    Robert Merrihue - President/CEO
    http://www.bethehost.com
    Where resellers become a host on servers we own and operate.
    Web Hosting Since 2000 *** 12+ Years in the hosting industry

Sorry about the typo I am partially distracted and I have never really used AGP. I do know PCI-E is a superior form of graphics port or will be for sure in the next year when manufactures utilize it. I would never invest in an AGP card again since most motherboard manufacturers are leaning toward PCI-E only. I don't think they make my card (ATI X850XTPE) in an AGP model (I have never seen one). Any ways sorry for dragging the thread off topic but thanks for the info Doc .

Re: Re: Intel CPU.

Originally posted by RobM
    You should goto the nearest walmart or big named store and look for maximum pc mag. They just did a ranking on motherboards, chipsets, processors and a big thing on what intel is doing next.
    We don't have Walmart but I will look for the magazine. Thanks for that.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

Re: Re: Intel CPU.

Originally posted by RobM
    We don't have Walmart but I will look for the magazine. Thanks for that.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

Hrrm, well I'll be damned. Just took a look at the only board newegg's got supporting the 775 and damn my luck, guess I'll have to give in and buy a PCIE video card too. This is startin to be a not so cheap purchase
    Comparatively though, the PCIE cards are cheaper (oddly enough) than the their AGP counterparts, or maybe it's just where I've been getting mine. I ended up paying $100'ish for my current (GeFORCE fx 5500 w/ 128(or 256, I dun remember) DDR, yet I can pick up a comparative PCIE card for $70. Damn my luck!

Hrrm, well I'll be damned. Just took a look at the only board newegg's got supporting the 775 and damn my luck, guess I'll have to give in and buy a PCIE video card too. This is startin to be a not so cheap purchase
    Comparatively though, the PCIE cards are cheaper (oddly enough) than the their AGP counterparts, or maybe it's just where I've been getting mine. I ended up paying $100'ish for my current (GeFORCE fx 5500 w/ 128(or 256, I dun remember) DDR, yet I can pick up a comparative PCIE card for $70. Damn my luck!
    There isn't only one board at Newegg that supports the 775. You have to look for "Socket T" LGA 775. There are dozens.

Also, if we're talking graphic cards (for games), a $70 PCIE card won't cut it...my point is, PCIE graphic cards are not necessarily cheaper than AGP cards what-so-ever. The top of the line gaming graphic cards will run you $250-350+ PCIE. These cards do not have an AGP counterpart.

Regardless of if AGP "will be" coming out with some new version or replacement, AGP is out for now, and PCIE is in. Almost all motherboards I've seen has stopped including AGP and replaced it with PCIE. It's like suggesting to Doc to wait for the Pentium 4 Dual Core CPUs... no one has any clue when AGP (if ever) will release a second generation.
    InterNich LLC
    Founder

I used to be an intel fan but I much prefer AMD at this stage. I love the asus motherboards. I haven't tried the new pci-express but it's probably not that great since it's new technology. I can only imagine they'll soon have it better refined so it works like a champ. Remember the old LCD monitors with that nasty ghosting? And cooling is never an issue for me because I over do it with fans because they are super cheap to purchase. I use anywhere from 2-5 fans per pc. Not Including the PSU fan and the graphics card fan.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Also, if we're talking graphic cards (for games), a $70 PCIE card won't cut it
    Actually, the one that I've been looking at does, it's an upgraded PCIE-16 card , ranging from $60-$75 (depending on the GPU/ram/etc).

And you're right about the board, last time I checked (a couple weeks ago), there weren't too many capable of the HT that they had, guess I was wrong on that one, thank god!

Where did you find a $60 PCI-Express video card? You wont find older and weaker video cards in PCI-Express.

PCI-Express is a new system just recently introduced. It has double the bandwidth of an AGP slot and will enable programmers to take advantage of it by creating more demanding programs.

I have a Intel 550 on a 925X chipset motherboard with PCI-Express.

PCI-Express is meant for the the higher end user right now. You'll notice that the PCI-Express cards are cheaper than AGP, and that is because the manufacturers are trying to encourage everyone to start buying them.

Also AMD boars will support SLI technology if you plan on needing some superior graphics.

Nvidia SLI technology supports Intel Chips now also.

The top of the line gaming graphic cards will run you $250-350+ PCIE. These cards do not have an AGP counterpart.

Almost all the new video cards have an AGP counterpart. They are usually cheaper then the PCI-E cards.[/b]

I probably would buy an A-Bit motherboard
    I have an Abit AA8XE and I have not had any problems with it at all. It is very stable. I don't play any games really but I have seen Counterstrike Source running with my PnY Nvidia 6600 GT PCI-E and it runs great. I would get the Fatal1ty board now if it was out when I bought this one for the additional cooling. I haven't had any cooling problems with this board.

I would recommend those two items. The last time I checked, the motherboard and video card ran 200-300 US Dollars a piece.

Actually, the one that I've been looking at does, it's an upgraded PCIE-16 card
    If we are taking about a video card for the newest games, a $60 dollar PCI-E card is not going to cut it if you are wanting high quality graphics.

Where did you find a $60 PCI-Express video card? You wont find older and weaker video cards in PCI-Express.
    Nvidia has a extremely weak (compared to newer cards) PCI-E card out.
    Last edited by IvialisJonathan; 05-05-2005 at 05:37 PM.

I wish my PCI-E card was cheap . The Saphire Radeon X850XTPE cost me $850 Canadian. Worth every penny though. The Radeon X800XL seems to be well priced at the bigger online stores. Worth taking a look

Jeff

Here ya go
    Minimum 256 DDR, though it looks like those are sharing the 256 with the system itself, starting with the Nvidia 6200s. Of course there's a couple of Radeons in there as well.
    All of those are PCIE-16 cards, and the lowest price (radeon x300SE) is going for $56, with the 6200s not that far behind it.
    Naturally, the farther up the chain you go, the more expensive you're going to see stuff. The 6800s are going as high as $356 right now, but for the 6200s, I'd say the price range isn't that shabby. of course, they're a couple of cycles old, but the best is always going to be overinflated