question about dedicated server features

For a dedicated server I am thinking of 1and1, godaddy, layeredtech. These seem pretty cheap. I would like to start off this way for now.

I require windows hosting, with plesk.

Please advise on any experiences with the above.

In my travels, I have noticed some features

1. what is the difference between the 10 and 100 mpbs uplink speed?
    2. what is the differnece between windows 2003 standard vs. the web edition?

Thanks in advance

Under The Floor Tiles
    Well, with the 10Mbps uplink, you'll usually find speeds that are unmetered, or, to put it simply, the host doesn't care about how much bandwidth you use or how much data you transfer, as long as it stays under 10Mbps (and it's probably capped, meaning there's a speed limit).

With the 100Mbps uplink, there's usually either a transfer allocation (1000GB of data transfer per month) or an unmetered connection with a cap (usually set at 10Mbps or below). 100Mbps uplinks are usually called burst ports, because you're not allowed to constantly use the entire connection, but you can, at times, transfer at higher speeds, which depends on how many other people are on that uplink.

If you're just setting up a few gameservers and a small website, you'll only need about 1000 to 2000GB of transfer per month. (My gameserver network AND the site transferred less than 100GB of data last month.) In this case, you should make sure that your server is on a 100Mbps uplink so the servers can burst to higher speeds as more users join.

However, one of my boxes is on a dedicated unmetered 10Mbps uplink, and I can run 5 Counterstrike Source servers, and the only thing that really limits me at that point is the amount of RAM.

EDIT: Oh, and for your question about Windows - I'm guessing that by web edition you mean Windows 2003 Server. The Windows 2003 Server family comes with IIS (The Windows Webserver, Internet Information Services) preinstalled. And I've never heard of "Standard Edition", because Windows 2003 only has a Server edition, and that has several versions in itself (Server 2003 Datacenter Edition, Small Business Server, etc.)
    Last edited by danclough; 05-04-2005 at 11:18 PM.

1. what is the difference between the 10 and 100 mpbs uplink speed?
    In theory if you fully utilized the port speed constantly throughout the month, a 10mbps should allow you to use up to 3,240gb of file transfers and a 100mbps should allow you up to 32,400gb of transfers per month. All these are in theory and all depends on what you are hosting and how your server can handle the traffic.

Of course if you are given some bandwidth a month free, you will have to pay a high price for anything beyond that.

For most standard web hosting, the 10mbps would be an overkill. If you are doing media streaming or massive file transfers, the 100mbps would be worth the while but be prepared to pay the excess charges.

2. what is the differnece between windows 2003 standard vs. the web edition?
    In short, for standard Web Hosting services, the Web Edition should suffice. If you need Windows Media Services or host MS SQL Servers then the Standard would needed. The Web Edition license is more restrictive than the Standard.

For a more detailed comparision, check out