Thread: Advice Please?

Question Advice Please?

Hi Everyone,

I am sure you get these often but I am going to have to ask if someone......anyone...can please help me figure out which webhost service is the best. I have done nothing but research for days and everytime I think one looks sorta decent, I hear something terrible. The ones that seem to be most recommended like ipowerweb and ****** turn me off. I'm starting an information site and need ecommerce ability. I am not up on the technical aspects of building a site so I need a site-builder, but I don't want one that looks like crap either!

If someone could help me I would so appreciate it!

Thanks,
    Blue (Literally at the moment!

You will find bad things about virtually every host out there if you look long enough.

Best bet is to make your self a list of potentials and get some opinions about them here or at other forums.

Well a couple of questions.

Space, Bandwidth & budget? I don't think space & bandwidth would be a concern as your website may not need all that much (relatively speaking)

Budget is definitely a question that you'd need to ask your self. How much can you spend monthly?

In terms of e-commerce, what will you be selling? You can find shopping cart scripts like oscommerce with cpanel.

OK Guys, I have a confession to make...please don't kick me out!

I have no clue about the technical jargon....I'm still a pretty cool human being though!

The deal is this. The site will be content heavy as in lots of articles, treatment suggestions etc... I'm a medical journalist.

The store will sell my books as well as those of other authors whose methods I concur with.

To be honest, I'm not so concerned with the price. If it's straightforward, reliable, and not entirely complicated I'm interested.

In my line of work I definitely know you can find someone to complain about everything, but this has become completely frustrating.

Thanks!

Don't worry if you don't know much about the technical side of things--that's what we're here for.

I'm currently with http://hostnexus.com . They've been great so far, and have a forum if you need help with anything.

For your site, I would suggest hiring someone to work with you. If price isn't an issue, having someone to make your site will result in something MUCH nicer than one you make yourself. There's a forum here [towards the bottom] where you can post a request or look around for people to work with.

Just an FYI note--

Don't buy more than you need. A small hosting plan may be fine, and you can upgrade as needed.

It doesn't sound like the site would be too graphically heavy.
    Most hosts provide a shopping cart system that would work fine for your book sales.

I would consider that your resources needs would be reasonably low when you are doing your host search. Better to pay for what you need within your price range as opposed to going to the lowest offer with the most resources.

Any suggestions? I've looked at so many my eyes are crossing. Good point about spending the money on quality vs resources I don't need. Does anyone have an idea as far as how much space I should be looking for? and bandwidth?

I'll assume you know the difference between MB and GB and how much files use.

Say your entire site takes up 50MB. Figure that each person will view about 1MB of data. That means you can have 1000 visitors for every GB of bandwidth [being very general].

It's just basic math.

Have a look at http://www.ion-web.com

Their plans are reasonable and they have great service and uptime.

Got it.

Although I'm a writer...math is hardly my specialty.

Originally posted by bluenote
    Got it.

Although I'm a writer...math is hardly my specialty.
    My online store uses CubeCart (www.cubecart.com), and on average we use about 700-1000MB bandwidth/month, and last time i checked used about 100mb of disk space, so just about any host you go with will offer this for a few dollars a month.
    Rob G.
    ShopManager - Sales & Repair Business Management Software

Hi bluenote,

E-commerce sites may need specific resources. Space & bandwidth are not a major concern but uptime and support is.

You will need a SSL certificate to provide secure browsing for your clients and a payment processor to take credit card orders.

As a customer myself, I recommend Site5. Great support, uptime and features.
    ACcomunica