Google Web Accelerator Designed Only for Broadband

Google Web Accelerator works with your browser to help web pages show up in a snap.
    http://webaccelerator.google.com/
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog

Pretty neat. Only at 0.1 seconds saved.

I'd rather keep my browsing habits to myself, kthx.

Hmmm, after installing it, Firefox stopped working. After I uninstalled it, Firefox worked again.

Originally posted by JTY
    Hmmm, after installing it, Firefox stopped working. After I uninstalled it, Firefox worked again.
    The same thing happened to my friend. It works perfectly fine for me, keep in mind this is in BETA so expect problems associated with any BETA products.

From the time I posted that, I am up to 25.8 seconds.

I'd rather keep my browsing habits to myself, kthx.
    I don't want to know what kind of sites you go to!
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog

Doesn't seem like it really fits Google's business model. Maybe one of their employees was doing it for fun?

Downloading now

Originally posted by DanX
    Doesn't seem like it really fits Google's business model. Maybe one of their employees was doing it for fun?
    What do you mean? It is very good, WHT has never loaded this fast for me before. It is very nice, as Google always is.
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog

27.9 seconds saved after almost 500 webpages.

Pretty neat.

It doesn't make that much of a difference, but it is still in beta.

Did you konw their employees get what they call 20% time. Essentially one day a week to pursue whatever projects they like, even if it has nothing to do with they are currently working on Workign on a project for school, discovered that.
    josh

Something is fishy:
    http://digg.com/links/Google_Web_Acc..._for_Broadband

The IP and everything...
    *Immortal goes to uninstall*
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog

Josh, I did know--that's why I suggested it.

Chris, I'm guessing it's just some tricky caching?

I refuse to install it. [for the same reason you're uninstalling]

works like a charm with firefox, good find!

Originally posted by immortal9
    Something is fishy:
    http://digg.com/links/Google_Web_Acc..._for_Broadband

The IP and everything...
    *Immortal goes to uninstall*
    Big deal, you send all this info to your ISP anyways, And if you are doing something that warrents the police fbi etc.. To look into it, they will just go after your ISP for logs and what not..

Your just a customer to your ISP, however if Google gives the information, well now you could cause some very bad media exposure for Google..

Count on your ISP giving the info WAY before Google ever will..
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

Originally posted by Trifolic
    Big deal, you send all this info to your ISP anyways, And if you are doing something that warrents the police fbi etc.. To look into it, they will just go after your ISP for logs and what not..

Your just a customer to your ISP, however if Google gives the information, well now you could cause some very bad media exposure for Google..

Count on your ISP giving the info WAY before Google ever will..
    It's not just that fact. If you took a look at the digg link I gave you, that would explain a lot more. And now the entire Digg page is down, first time I've ever seen.

All this is just a fancy caching method through their proxies. I love on the east coast, this is in the west coast, I don't see how it will be quicker for me at all, in fact I believe it may be slower. I've never seen any real results yet.

Then you must factor in things like WHT. What if every single member starts to use this? Then the Leaders would never know people's IPs to ban if needed to be. Or stop new registrations...All I'm seeing so far is trouble...
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog

Originally posted by immortal9
    It's not just that fact. If you took a look at the digg link I gave you, that would explain a lot more. And now the entire Digg page is down, first time I've ever seen.

All this is just a fancy caching method through their proxies. I love on the east coast, this is in the west coast, I don't see how it will be quicker for me at all, in fact I believe it may be slower. I've never seen any real results yet.

Then you must factor in things like WHT. What if every single member starts to use this? Then the Leaders would never know people's IPs to ban if needed to be. Or stop new registrations...All I'm seeing so far is trouble...
    That link you posted on Diggs or whatever is just full of worthless people throwing out their 2 cents and dupe posting 1000x worth of junk, all that they are doing is repeating everything thats written on the Google Broadband Accelerator FAQ and Privacy Policy page, I am failing to see what point you are trying to educate me on..

Please tell me I am quite curious on what I am missing..
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

interesting i downloaded and installed it, but im gnona read thruogh that page before i put a final input and decision in

edit:

hmm it seems to help me out a lot; some pages that used to take REALLY long to load fully (like minutes+) now take a few seconds, although google calculates as only saving a few seconds, but whatever
    Last edited by Wulex; 05-04-2005 at 11:44 PM.
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

damn ran out of 15 minutes; this probably isnt the funniest thing but if you google
    "google web accelerator" this thing doesnt even come up :-p

edit: WTF?! I clearly have DO NOT ACCELERATE THIS WEBSITE checkmarked

but it keeps doing so anyway...
    Last edited by Wulex; 05-05-2005 at 12:06 AM.
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

What next will Google produce?

Well after surfing the web for about 2 hours (200 pages according to the performance data sheet), I have saved 3.9 minutes. Not really worth it if I am saving only 2 minutes a hour.

Guys and gals, I must say whoever thought this up at google is a genuis. Think about what this thing does, caches webpages and tracks them. So basically anyone who installs this just became a spider for google.

The one bad thing about this is that everything that gets typed in unencrypted pages gets sent to Google to help its cache. I'm not terribly paranoid but I don't always want to have to think about when I should enable and when disable the GWA if I was filling out some web form or something. To me, saving a few seconds every 30 pages or so is not worth it. Browsing is snappy enough for me right now and I usually work with a couple of windows and do something else while I'm waiting for pages to load.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

d*** "accelerador" it marks me all the boards as error 404, goodbye
    enjoy your flaming and hypocracy

works fine with me.. but really never feel the difference hmm... :/
    www.DefyStudios.com ___Interactive Design

google

it works with xp but it is facing problem with firefox.

By installing this on our computer is our privacy is protected or not?
    Is google will monitor our activities of our work>

Works fine here on FireFox 1.0.3. The program seems to have slowed some pages down for me.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

Google already owns the internet in my books. It's only a matter of time before they rule the world...

It doesn't work so great on forums. Many people are reporting that they're being logged in as other users (since Google caches the cookies), can view other user's privates messages, profiles, etc.

If you run a forum, or any other site that uses cookies to recognize users and is non-HTTPS, you may wish to let your users know that their private information is now public if they use this.

Originally posted by RossH
    Guys and gals, I must say whoever thought this up at google is a genuis. Think about what this thing does, caches webpages and tracks them. So basically anyone who installs this just became a spider for google.
    Wow...I hadn't thought of that. Amazing.

2.2 minutes saved in a total of 18.

The cookies would only be cached locally, right?

Say you store their data in a database session table, and assign each person a cookie with a random session id. How would other people log in as each other doing this?

The cookies would only be cached locally, right?

Say you store their data in a database session table, and assign each person a cookie with a random session id. How would other people log in as each other doing this?
    It seems the cookies are actually stores on Google's end, otherwise this wouldn't be happening.