Webhosting company

Hi Guys,

I know it's probably been done loads of times before but here goes.

I have just bought a dedicated server from oneandone.co.uk with the aim to start up a web hosting company, i'm aiming at the home user and small busness area and not looking to make too much money at the moment (just cover my costs really and get a good client base).

Can anyone suggest a good way of starting up a webhosting company?
    Last edited by ldcdc; 05-04-2005 at 07:00 PM.

Well, honestly where your at it seems your best to get into advertising. Don't be afraid to pay a little to advertise.

Fair point, was thinking of it but I see little point in advertising until i have a site that doesn't shout out "this website was made by a three year old".

Thanks for your help
    David

Re: Webhosting company

Originally posted by ^DJR^
    I have just bought a dedicated server from oneandone.co.uk with the aim to start up a web hosting company,.....
    Can anyone suggest a good way of starting up a webhosting company?
    The "Running a Web Hosting Business" Forum would be a better place for your questions

Did you really bought the dedicated server already?
    Before thinking about some sort of business plan, before thinking of advertising, before creating the company website etc

But okay, I would suggest to read through the "Running a Web Hosting Business" Forum. There are many threads with a lot of useful information about how to start a webhosting business.
    Last edited by yangxi; 05-04-2005 at 07:04 PM.

Methinks that you should've waited before purchasing a dedicated server. Usually it is best to ask how to start a web hosting company before you start plunging into things. There is lots of research and planning ahead for you.

HAHA or, if you have this as your home page content you shouldn't even get a dedicated server, nor a reseller account nor any form of hosting.

Cheap, fast, easy webhosting

I will buy a domain and host a site for anyone who'll redesign the site for me
    The above alone is unprofessional. That's like me trying to offer e-mail services but saying "Hey, I'll host your e-mail accounts on my mail server if you setup my mail server for me."

If you do not have a site of your own to interact with the clients, why should I as a client put my money in your hands to host my site when you cannot get a site of your own designed/hosted.

Have you thought about making a freehosting company? It may be the best choice in this situation. Try weighing up which will be best for you.

Originally posted by shockuk
    Have you thought about making a freehosting company? It may be the best choice in this situation. Try weighing up which will be best for you.
    Why would it be the best choice? There is a lot more liability in runnning a free host.

Originally posted by Josh Stein
    Why would it be the best choice? There is a lot more liability in runnning a free host.
    Especially on the spam side.
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management • Search Engine Optimization • Pay Per Click • Email Marketing

All i want to say on this is you need to think about it, believe it or not its a commitment what happens if your server goes down, Ask yourself questions i understand you may think its not at all that hard believe me it is and it all needs the thought, Secondly did you research 1and1 did you see any good or bad comments on them, If you search this forum the results are huge.
    Good luck with your venture