Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

bob parsons is a real loyal guy (go/daddy)

http://www.azcentral.com/business/ar...godaddy03.html

Parsons (godaddy) recently yanked his $12 million account from Cappelli (the guy who made him all the money), taking creative duties in-house.

Cappelli calls the rejection a "total blow" that proves once again that ad agencies are treated with as much respect as "red-headed stepchildren."

lol, now this doesnt really surprise me!
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

Cappelli made $12 million off of GoDaddy. They should be happy with that and thank GoDaddy for giving them the account in the first place.

In respects to making a successful company, if you could cut the cost in half. Wouldn't you take it in house too?

Re: bob parsons is a real loyal guy (go/daddy)

Originally posted by LaurenStephens.com
    i never claim to be "mature", but im all for business and making money.

In one thread you are all for business and making money but it's only OK if it's you making the money?

Only a fool would pay big bucks to have work done by an outside agency when they could do it just as well in house cheaper.

this isnt about being cheap.

this is about hiring a professional to do a professionals job.

its also a stupid move to leave someone who made you so much money.

btw the account was 12m that isnt what they made off of it.

blue, by your post, one would think we shouldnt host with you because we could do it "inhouse" or find someone cheaper?

what he did just goes along the lines of his other business "tactics". not surprising at all.

this isnt about being cheap.

this is about hiring a professional to do a professionals job.

It’s rather obvious, they lacked the in-house experience and talent to produce a superbowl spot or any major market catalyst campaign in the first place, so they hired a small shop, got a short term kick and now lack the resources and guts to continue the campaign in the deep end of the media market- The agency most likely had a long term strategy to augment the super bowl spot- the one that ran for a nanosecond on espn was a dud, absent of that, there is a conspicuous lack of any new creative- Clients do this all the time, think bigger than their wallets and experience- The Greeks have a great adjective: Hubris.

Let's look at this realistically, shall we?

GoDaddy has decided to handle its advertising in house
    What's wrong with that? Is it now required that all individuals hire a multi-million dollar agency to remain a business? No. Honestly, it's not.
    GoDaddy decided to take their advertisement in-house, which is perfectly acceptable in all degrees.

GoDaddy said it may use the Ad Store for future image-oriented campaigns.
    Wait, how is this not being loyal? If they can't produce certain things, then, they should outsource it, which is what they say they're going to do, remain loyal to the ad agency that got them there, while doing most of their own work in house.

Seems pretty straightforward to me, and actually kind of smart. Saves them money, saves their customers money (not that we'll see the immediate savings , mind you), and it's an all around smart business decision.

Now tell me this (honestly):
    What obligation do they have to keep the ad agency? They have no contract, or there was no mention of one. Yet, they're offering to do just that, when they need them.

Oh, and just for the record:
    This "ad agency" didn't make Parsons the money, he had the money, he's an old time player in the industry. If he wants to fire someone, he can, as the president of his company. If he wants to move something in house, it's always smarter (and usually MUCH cheaper) to do so.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

Im not a big godaddy fan... but I don't see anything wrong with this either.. its their choice...
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / We Filter out the Bad Leads and Send you the Good ones!
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / Automated Lead Funnel Service

sounds like godaddy's just being smart to me. its an ad agency's JOB to make you money, there's no obligation beyond that. its not like godaddy said "hey you made us millions, but we're not happy so you're fired!" they just said "hey, we're doing this in-house now, but we'll keep you in mind."
    Marion Morris
    Gravity Squared Media
    Design and Multimedia Solutions

I'm wondering how this is not loyal?

Bob Parsons has decided that he wants to move his spending from an outside company to HIS OWN company, while at the same time agreeing to spend money with this outside company when needed.

He doesn't want to move his spending from one outside company to another. That would have a higher chance of being disloyal, but again, business is business.

Loyalty can go the distance when you're talking a few hundred dollars, but even if Parsons just cut is costs by 15%, that is 1.8mil he just saved.

Honestly, if you could save 1.8mil what would you do in the business world?
    SuperWebHost.com, a Digitally Justified Company
    Celebrating our 9th year in Business

Proudly Hosting with CANADIAN bandwidth
    Managed Hosting, Multi-Domain Hosting, Colocation, Merchant Accounts

lol, you really think on a 12m deal there is no contract??

also, he will "keep them in mind"?? what!!?? how could he NOT keep them in mind.

killing off what works is never a good idea. but then again, neither is using godaddy...

Do you not understand how to properely run a business? I dont even see why this thread went on this far..

Would you pay someone money to do something, when you could do it just as good, yourself, for cheaper?

If the answer is yes...then someone needs to get there head cheacked..

thats the problem with bob, he thinks he can do everything and do it right.

as witnessed in this forum board, that clearly isnt the case.

http://www.azcentral.com/business/ar...godaddy03.html

Parsons (godaddy) recently yanked his $12 million account from Cappelli (the guy who made him all the money), taking creative duties in-house.

Cappelli calls the rejection a "total blow" that proves once again that ad agencies are treated with as much respect as "red-headed stepchildren."

lol, now this doesnt really surprise me!
    I don't know what your problem is with godaddy but your getting rather old with it...........

thats the problem with bob, he thinks he can do everything and do it right.

as witnessed in this forum board, that clearly isnt the case.
    Do you really think Bob Parsons would give a rat's *** what is on this board. Do you really think the opinions on this board are some sort of indication of what Bob Parsons is doing right and wrong?

Let me give you a little better indicator of what Bob Parsons is doing right.

Godaddy Becomes World's Largest Domain Name Registrar

GoDaddy.com Becomes Worlds Largest Domain Name Registrar

GoDaddy.com, the No. 1 registrar of new domain names for the past three years, announced today that it had surpassed Network Solutions in total domain names under management, to become the world's No. 1 ICANN-accredited domain name registrar for the .COM, NET, .ORG, .INFO, .BIZ, and .US domain extensions, according to the April 20 statistics reported by domain industry analyst Name Intelligence, Inc.

Your hatred for Bob Parsons is irrational and petty.

Originally posted by blue27
    Do you really think Bob Parsons would give a rat's *** what is on this board. Do you really think the opinions on this board are some sort of indication of what Bob Parsons is doing right and wrong?

Let me give you a little better indicator of what Bob Parsons is doing right.

Godaddy Becomes World's Largest Domain Name Registrar

Your hatred for Bob Parsons is irrational and petty.
    Exactly, he is #1 and thats all he cares about.

Totally agree with you blue. Obviously he is doing SOMETHING right if they are the largest domain provider in the WORLD.

Business wise, this is a very smart move, and I don't care where you got your business degree from, if you say this is a stupid move, than obviously you shouldn't have gotten that degree.

Ethically? Probably not the best move, but if he can sleep at night than why not?

Unless of course, his in-house agency totally flops him, then he's screwed
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

That sure is heartbreaking! Aren't these the people who are in the business of convincing their audience to stop using our competitors' brands and use our client's brand? And if you're already using our client's brand, keep using it and buy even more of it.
    So if the ad agency was unable to persuade Bob Parsons to keep using the same ad agency it is obviously Bob's shortcoming.

Originally posted by blue27 Your hatred for Bob Parsons is irrational and petty.

ouch.. getting a little out of hand here.. LaurenStephens.com has every right to give his/her opinion.. let's not turn this into a "flame" war.

I thought this was frowned upon and against the rules on this forum... name calling..getting quite childish around here..
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / We Filter out the Bad Leads and Send you the Good ones!
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / Automated Lead Funnel Service

Of course the boards on hosting and registration report a variety of experiences with Godaddy's services--some good and some bad. I guess the subjective judgement of Bob's decision on the advertising thing is likely to be influenced by ones experience with Godaddy.

What's the big deal about this?

It happens everyday in business - and perhaps rightly so.

"GoDaddy, which recently passed Network Solutions as the world's largest registrar and manager of Internet addresses, or domain names, plans to focus on response-oriented commercials instead of the brand-identification pieces for which the Ad Store is known."

It seems like Ad Store does not fit in their upcoming corporate strategy.

And as much as they might have helped GoDaddy get this far, business is business...paying $12 million to an ad agency for LITTLE reason to me sounds like CRAPPY BUSINESS PRACTICE and will sooner or later get the CEO booted by the board.

As far as "ethics" are concerned, it isn't like GoDaddy tried to "rub" it on Ad Store's face or anything(say by going with their direct competitor) - they simply do not need Ad Store's services anymore.

Honestly, if you need to spend $12 million to maintain "friendly ties" with a friend, that friendship ain't going to last too long.

Originally posted by RealtorHost
    ouch.. getting a little out of hand here.. LaurenStephens.com has every right to give his/her opinion.. let's not turn this into a "flame" war.

I thought this was frowned upon and against the rules on this forum... name calling..getting quite childish around here..

It's not a flame. It's the facts. Not against forum rules at all.
    She posts in frequent godaddy threads and starts her own anti-godaddy threads frequently. In all of them she attempts to put down Bob Parsons but has never offered up a tangible reason for it.

That is petty. Or perhaps just jealousy of the man's success.

killing off what works is never a good idea. but then again, neither is using godaddy...
    I guess not, thats why godaddy is just a small company... Not a multimillion dollar company.. I guess they don't know what they were doing, even with that super bowl ad that everyone said would do nothing for them, only to bring a 35% increase in revenue..

I'm sure they have it under control lauren, and know what they are doing..
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

Re: Re: bob parsons is a real loyal guy (go/daddy)

Originally posted by RossH
    I don't know what your problem is with godaddy but your getting rather old with it...........
    Yeah, Lauren's axe must be just about ground back to the handle.
    • AussieHost.com • Aussie Bob, host since 2001 •
    • Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!! •

Originally posted by blue27
    . . . She posts in frequent godaddy threads and starts her own anti-godaddy threads frequently. In all of them she attempts to put down Bob Parsons but has never offered up a tangible reason for it.

That is petty. Or perhaps just jealousy of the man's success.
    When folks create real success, that either motivates others or makes them angry. I don't know what Lauren's beef with Bob is, but maybe they knew eachother in the past or something? It comes accross as being very personal.

Since others have brought up an "ethical" questionability, I'd like to ask what? What do you find ethically questionable about this decision?
    If there is no contract (or the contract is up, either way, there's no contract), then why is this ethically questionable?

Admittedly, they did make some good money for them, but if they no longer fit the business model, then why keep them? Is it ethically questionable to then use one admin's services to compile apache because you can't do it yourself (or don't know how), then not continue to use them? No, not at all. Maybe your admin was out for the day, and you HAD to get something done right away. Should that something (immediate rush) wait, possibly costing you more, or should you get the problem addressed? Should you not go back to that admin in the unlikely event you need something?

Yes, I know it's not the same, but the concept is pretty much the same here. I'm not picking a fight, or trying to start an argument, I'd just like to know what is "ethically questionable" about this.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

what exactly is wrong with bob? I've seen that he is a very nice guy and a vietnam veteran. Its good that he was able to build a company he can be proud of and hes still going to work with the company, but like most companies he has his own marketing team now.

I'll e-mail bob and see what he thinks of the thread and maybe he will post.
    Kerry Jones

did anyone bother to read the thread title?

apparently not.

and blue, as far as someone bashing someone... i notice you follow me thread to thread... interesting

Originally posted by cowabunga
    It’s rather obvious, they lacked the in-house experience and talent to produce a superbowl spot or any major market catalyst campaign in the first place, so they hired a small shop, got a short term kick and now lack the resources and guts to continue the campaign in the deep end of the media market- The agency most likely had a long term strategy to augment the super bowl spot- the one that ran for a nanosecond on espn was a dud, absent of that, there is a conspicuous lack of any new creative- Clients do this all the time, think bigger than their wallets and experience- The Greeks have a great adjective: Hubris.
    You hit the nail on the head. The "firing" was the veil for the shortcomings in GoDaddy's "plan" for playing with the big kids.

- John C.

I did read the title, but it sounds like your being scarcastic.
    Kerry Jones

apparently not.

and blue, as far as someone bashing someone... i notice you follow me thread to thread... interesting
    Your title just further states your opinion...it does not matter whether he is loyal to that advertising agency or not. He is running a company, and he needs to do so in a way that will maximize profits and minimize costs.

apparently not.
    I read the title, what I don't understand is your wording, using the word loyalty... Why don't you look it up and see what its defined as, because hiring someone for 1 campaign and then dropping them, there is NO time to even establish any kind of loyalty...
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

Originally posted by JohnCrowley
    You hit the nail on the head. The "firing" was the veil for the shortcomings in GoDaddy's "plan" for playing with the big kids.

- John C.
    ....and of course John- if hypothetically a large (or largest) registrar were say ramping up for an IPO, they might be advised by their bankers to clean up their G&A and marketing lines and sever any long term agency relationships- Advertising agency relationships translate into media agency relationships and commitments- at this level you don't just cancel a muti million dollar media buy over night they are and scheduled far in advance- Bob's bringing it back in-house to control costs rather than mass market. He can use IPO capital for marketing later.

I read it. What's your point. Should we disregard what you wrote in your post and previous posts and just read the thread title?

Don't flatter yourself. I respond to a lot of threads. I have no particular affinity to your threads. Someone is a little full or herself.

Bob Parsons has enough history of success that it's reasonable to expect he knows what he's doing. That's not a certainty. Sometimes past success produces overconfidence in a bad decision. Time will tell.

I don't know how much or little loyalty plays a role in the advertising business. There are probably some advertising agents whose output is influenced by genuine feelings about the client and product. I'm sure there are others who could create a dynamite advertisement for Frozen Feces on a Stickฎ the day after their own mothers died from using the product. If Bob discovers that Godaddy isn't so good at doing its own advertising he might be able to make up with Cappelli , or he might have to hire someone else.

Originally posted by JohnCrowley
    Well, if it is or it isn't, we can only make assumptions based on what we know - and what's reported in the media etc. We don't have access to GoDaddy's books, so we can't make any definative statements as to their exact reasoning for pulling the pin on that ad agency, and bringing it in-house. For all we know they might have invested heavily into producing this stuff in-house, so as to lock it in for a longer haul . . . . all the way up to the IPO.

But good on 'em I say. We'd all love to see our brands become household names, and it seems GoDaddy is well on that path.

Just a little personal experience that I have with Bob Parsons. He contacted me (personally) about a story I wrote on him for one of my sites. He seemed like a good guy and we talked a little. I let him know why I switched away from GoDaddy a few years ago. It was because I felt (and I still do) like I'm being tricked in to purchasing adittional services when all I really want to do is purchase a domain. He acknowledged this and provided a reasonable response.
    * Best Web Hosting - Submit your host to our directory and become one of our top 10 web hosts.

Tricked? It's bloody obvious that godaddy attempts to upsale. You don't want the additional items simply click the "No thanks. Proceed to cart". If you're making a single purchase make sure your order adds up to 8.95, or... head over to tech bargains, use their link and get the domain for 7.95.

It's just business. And when talking business only the numbers do the talking.

I'm talking against myself now, as I have an advertising agency, but Bob's move was a good one if he considers that they could do it better inhouse. They clearly should have enough experience by now to do that.

Just remember that Google and Yahoo! changed their agencies after 5 years both. Most of the campaigns were done inhouse ever since. I don't see a problem with that if it's successful.
    Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast