Hosting utilisation guidelines

I'm interested in renting a dedicated server to provide webhosting to businesses. My question is though, that in order for the business to be profitable I need to be competitive.

I have done some very quick searching around and found that offer the following entry level package:

For 567 (inc VAT) per year:

Linux Series 2400+
    Intel - 2.4 GHz
    512MB RAM
    NOW 80GB Harddisk
    512GB data transfer (yearly)
    1 IP address
    24x7x365 FREE reboots
    Redhat / Debian / Slackware

I looked at a webhosting provider called and they provide a starter pro package as follows:

For 66.25 (inc VAT) a year
    500 MB of web space for 3.99 per month!
    5000 MB data transfer (bandwidth) per month.
    CGI/Perl Script enabled.
    On-line file manager and full FTP access.
    35 mail boxes (POP3).
    Free WebMail.
    Webalizer graphical web statistics (click to try).
    Unlimited e-mail forwarding addresses.

My question is this, using a dedicated server from above, reallistically how many apache virtual websites would I be able to provide from this host, baring in mind it's specification?

To be even close to being in compteition with I would need to able to host 10 websites (apache virtual hosts) from this one server.

Is 10 basic websites realistic for this type of server or could this sort of server provice much less/more? Does anyone have any resources I could look at regarding this sort of thing?

From a technical point of view, we are really just starting out with regard to webhosting but we have lots of system administration experience with Unix/Linux - however not in the area of webhosting.

The idea is to use VMware to do development/application/webhosting testing and then commit changes to the dedictaed server environment. Is this the norm for providing webhosting?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

I think the problem here is the phrase '10 basic websites' as it's a little difficult to quantify.

Without knowing exactly what you mean by that and using my own experiences from when I was a web host I'd say that, yes, you could host 10 basic web sites by my definition. That would be 10 sites using 50MB space and 500MB bandwidth each (and probably more). It's not huge in terms of resources by any means, but my definition of a 'basic website' is either someone's personal pages or a small, realtively quiet business site. I'd say about 60% of the sites I hosted were in that category.

However, a reasonably sizable site could swallow all your resources in one go, particular the 5GB of data transfer. A busyish forum can often account for that alone.

The other thing to consider is your CPU load. If the hosted sites have many concurrent users performing CPU-intensive operations, the strain on the box might be the limiting factor.

This is very 'finger in the air' stuff, but I hope it gives you a start for something to think about.

Judging by the examples you posted I would recommend you look outside of England. Everything you do to the servers will be done remotely anyways via SSH. Those prices and server stats are not good...

Toledo, OH
    You don't have to go outside of england, but you do need something that at least has more bandwidth.