Fabulous host support story

I normally lurk here, but I just had an experience that deserves sharing.

I had a site that was totally driven by two databases. A month ago, the database crashed, but I was able to repair it, and I thought it was just something I'd accidentally done. Then, two days ago, both of my databases crashed (I now have two), so I knew it wasn't me. Apparently, every site on that host lost their dbs. And they were very slow to respond to the problem. It looked like my databases were still intact on the server, but Cpanel just wasn't letting me get to them.

Since my site is starting to take off, and I didn't want to risk it going down again, I looked for a new host, and found SJRhosting.com. Part of their service includes transferring your site for you upon request. When they attempted to transfer my databases - using backups I had generated - we found out the databases contained errors, most likely due to something wrong with the old host. SJR offered to have the dbs repaired for a small fee.

A few hours later, not only were the dbs repaired, but everything's up and running perfectly. SJR had to create two dbs and merge them in order to get one of them working again, but they didn't stop until it was exactly as it was - not a hair out of place.

Scott Jones of SJR was in constant contact with me over 24 hours about this issue, and went well above the call of duty to get my site running with the least hassle for me (under the circumstances). A lot of hosts would have said, "Look, we did what we could, it's not our fault, best of luck to you". For sticking with me until everything was resolved so perfectly, I really feel SJR deserves special praise.

To be clear, I'm in no way affiliated with these guys, except as a customer. I realize this being my first post might seem like I'm spamming for them, but I'm not. I've just never had anything worth sharing for this board before.

I'm hesitant to "out" the old host that I had trouble with, because he seemed very nice and sincere, and was probably doing his best. But if anyone feels they would benefit from knowing the name, I'll share it.
    Last edited by BlueMushrooms; 05-04-2005 at 01:45 AM.

BlueMushrooms, thank you for the review. May we know what website you have with SRJhosting?

Yes, it's thehathorlegacy.info. (By forum rules, I'm not supposed to post a link yet, so I hope that's fine.)

And I THINK it's resolved to the new host worldwide by now - but if you get an error page, that'll be from the old host.

Sounds like a good review, For SJR Hosting thanks for sharing the domain, sounds like a good company.
    Good luck with them for the future

Thank you BlueMushrooms. Keep us updated. The start looks wonderful, but time is always the real tester.

Good job SJR!
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management Search Engine Optimization Pay Per Click Email Marketing

Originally posted by Naz.A
    Sounds like a good review, For SJR Hosting thanks for sharing the domain, sounds like a good company.
    Good luck with them for the future
    Very true. I will keep you updated.

Hmm.. gr8 you seem to be very much impressed by SJR... you have even posted on your blog about that

Best of luck!
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

Nice to hear a sunny story about a hosting company for a change.
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

It looks like this story will have a sad ending after all.

Since I started using SJR, there have been little outages of exactly 20 or 30 minutes several times a week that I am aware of. I noticed them because I'd be working on the site, and suddenly it would start timing out or refusing connections.

I would write the host with details, and he would say his site monitoring service said they weren't down, so they weren't.

I tried to explain to him that Alertra also reported the site as down during these periods. His site was down as well, and sometimes gave a Mambo error message indicating the site was down for maintenance. I would keep checking both sites every 2-3 minutes, so I knew almost exactly when they came back up.

He insisted it had to be a local IP issue for me. The first week, I thought that might be true, because I'd had some trouble with other sites. But in the weeks that followed, my site and his hosting site were the only ones I had the slighest trouble getting to.

I thought the outages had stopped a week or two ago, although I wasn't working as many hours directly on the site as I had been so maybe I just haven't been there to notice. This week there was an outage of an hour or so (I don't know when it started) caused by a client's script (according to the host). It was like the other outages, except I could still get into cpanel - only my databases were down (the whole site is database driven). And visitors have been reporting an inability to post comments on the site. My number of daily visitors has dropped since I moved to this host, and the whole point of moving to this host was to have all the tech troubles out of the way, so this site can take off.

I don't know exactly what the problem was, but I do know the host was not very responsive. Several very detailed, informative emails that I sent giving exact descriptions of the outages were simply ignored. In the few cases where there was any response, it was basically to tell me I was mistaken, or they'd been doing some maintenance on the server, or something.

Never was there any explanation for all these outages, other than that it must be a problem on my end.

I'm looking for a new host now. Any recommendations for a very solid and dependable host?

Yikes. Sorry to hear about your good experience going South. I have personal experience with Lunarpages' shared hosting service and have been happy with them.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

I can't seem to edit my last post - it says I don't have permission, so I'll just add this.

The host has written me back and assured me he's working on this, deleting client accounts that are causing problems and so on. So I will stick it out and see if he's able to sort things out.

And I will keep everyone posted.

Is it possible to edit my above post, just to add a note at the top that the issue is still ongoing?

Thanks for sharing, please keep us all updated on how it goes.
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth

Just to note: the downtime was minimal just the time for a reboot, besides when the databases went down which was around 20 minutes. We couldn't seem to find the problem site untill last thursday when it crashed the databases. It was a reseller that was giving away free subdomains and one contained a server crashing script. The reseller has been moved to a problem site server and will no longer be able to host on our shared servers. The problem has been taken care of, but as all hosts know these problems are impossible to prevent and could at anytime happen to anyone.
    Eleven2 Web Hosting - World-Wide Hosting, Done Right!

His site was down as well, and sometimes gave a Mambo error message indicating the site was down for maintenance.
    My guess is you were seeing error message -2 on the down for maintenance page.

This error explicitly means connection problems to the database. Now, this could be because the host has brought the DB server down for maintenance, but, generally, its a sign of something else being wrong.

You tend to see alot of errors like this on an oversold cpanel server - as everything is housed on 1 server (not saying this was the case in your instance, just that this is generally what you see) - and even though mysql may technically not be down, there simply could just be too much going on on that server (http traffic, email, mysql connections) - and another physical DB connection simply could not be made.

Scott,

There were at least 6 outages that I documented, each lasting 20-30 minutes. If they were all caused by that client, then there should be no more problems, so we'll wait and see.

Originally posted by CartikaHosting
    My guess is you were seeing error message -2 on the down for maintenance page.

This error explicitly means connection problems to the database. Now, this could be because the host has brought the DB server down for maintenance, but, generally, its a sign of something else being wrong.

You tend to see alot of errors like this on an oversold cpanel server - as everything is housed on 1 server (not saying this was the case in your instance, just that this is generally what you see) - and even though mysql may technically not be down, there simply could just be too much going on on that server (http traffic, email, mysql connections) - and another physical DB connection simply could not be made.
    Yes, it even had the "2" at the bottom of the error message. This is good information to have, even if it proves not to be the case in this instance.

You saw that error message, because the "crash" script on the problem site made an enormous amount of connections to the database.

I've just made an order to SJR, using 2checkout- processed and everything, with the 2CO receipt sitting in my inbox. But after waiting for more than an hour I've yet to recieve any emails from SJR providing login info and such, logging into their member's area fails. So much for "instant activation".. unless of course, my card was marked with a fraud warning!

Interestingly, while I was trying to "register" at their helpdesk system, it asked for a confirmation code which was supposedly emailed to my address. But I've yet to recieve that confirmation email.. so maybe their mail system is down or something? -_-

Originally posted by ldcdc
    Thank you BlueMushrooms. Keep us updated. The start looks wonderful, but time is always the real tester.
    Yes i agree with you, but the real thing is they did a wondefull job three pegs of beer for it.

Hosts must be something like them, very kind and supportive in nature but they are not

Originally posted by Rancher
    I've just made an order to SJR, using 2checkout- processed and everything, with the 2CO receipt sitting in my inbox. But after waiting for more than an hour I've yet to recieve any emails from SJR providing login info and such, logging into their member's area fails. So much for "instant activation".. unless of course, my card was marked with a fraud warning!

Interestingly, while I was trying to "register" at their helpdesk system, it asked for a confirmation code which was supposedly emailed to my address. But I've yet to recieve that confirmation email.. so maybe their mail system is down or something? -_-
    The reason for this was, you created your account information morethan 3 days ago, but didn't pay. I than sent you the option to pay by invoice and you payed this morning. If you would have payed at the normal signup time your account would have been processed instantly.

Rancher Im sorry please disregard my last post, I thought you were someone else. I just found your order in the imcomplete order section. For some reason the system didn't think you payed, perhaps you signed up and made payment much later?

Good Job SJR!

Just popping in to say that there were no further outages after Scott did what he said he'd do (above in this thread). Then last week, he upgraded to a noticeably faster server, and the only hitch was when some dbs (including mine) didn't get transferred over properly at first. That was resolved within a day, and since then everything's been running smoothly (and faster than before).

He's been very responsive to my emails, too - I noticed some minor items that weren't quite right in cpanel after the change, and he acknowledged my emails within a few minutes of each, and had the items fixed within an hour or two at most.

When it's been 3 months, I'll come back in and give a review. At this point, as imperfect as things have been, I do feel that he's working to make SJR a very good hosting service, and there's every chance it'll become quite good in the long run.

As others have said, only time will tell, so I will post reviews when I hit landmark dates.