Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Spry VPS solution GOOD or BAD?

Hi

Is anyone here a current client or previous client to spry hosting.

I was wondering if their service any good? Like Support? Server? and Uptime

And how their Unmeter 1.5mbps Bandwidth working for you?

I'm thinking of buying from them but not sure. Because their price kinda low and i want to make sure i'm getting a good service.

Thank You

I believe they just got into the VPS market so reviews about their VPS service would be quite hard to find. You might want to do a search at this forum to see if you get lucky =)

Cheers
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

i did no luck yet.

hello,
    I have been with spry.com for almost a week, it's way to early to write a review yet. I'm still giving them a chance to work out some issues, then I will write a review.

TH.

I'm there

I been there a couple of weeks and so far so good. I have messed up several things they fixed for me and respoonse time on supprt has been great. I also was able to call and talk to support personnel who fixed me up over the phone. It is way too early to give a comprehensive review but Ok so far

I believe they just got into the VPS market so reviews about their VPS service would be quite hard to find. You might want to do a search at this forum to see if you get lucky =)
    In fact we've been selling VPS accounts since 2002, our marketing plan has changed significantly as of late though.

Regards,

Cameron
    Spry Virtual Server/VPS Hosting
    Linux Dedicated Resource Virtual Servers, Virtual Private Servers, WHM / cPanel Licensing
    VPSLink Cheap VPS XEN and OpenVZ
    CentOS, Fedora, Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu, Slackware, cPanel, DirectAdmin, HostInABox, LAMP, Ruby pre-installed

thank you guy for replying

i also curious about the server speed. Is it fast?

Question for Spry:
    What it mean by Unmeter 1.5mbits? What the catch behide Unmeter 1.5mbits ?

oh also How much VPS account Per Server? and What the Spec of the Server that hosting VPS.

coolnyc, I suggest you contact their sales department as some things can't be answered on the forum

* Server Information

Here is copy of Server Information from WHM.

Server Information
    Main >> Server Status >> Server Information

Processor InformationProcessor #1 Vendor: GenuineIntel
    Processor #1 Name: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz
    Processor #1 speed: 2800.164 MHz
    Processor #1 cache size: 1024 KB

Processor #2 Vendor: GenuineIntel
    Processor #2 Name: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz
    Processor #2 speed: 2800.164 MHz
    Processor #2 cache size: 1024 KB

Memory Information

System InformationLinux select200.*******.net *.*.**-0**stab028.5.***-enterprise #1 SMP Tue Feb 22 17:44:46 MSK 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Physcial Disks

Current Memory Usage total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 6192916 6170812 22104 0 1665400 697060
    -/+ buffers/cache: 3808352 2384564
    Swap: 8385920 2693312 5692608
    Total: 14578836 8864124 5714712

Current Disk UsageFilesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/vzfs 10G 715M 9.4G 7% /

Originally posted by Sprydotcom
    In fact we've been selling VPS accounts since 2002, our marketing plan has changed significantly as of late though.

Regards,

Cameron
    Oh sorry about that false claim. I remember seeing an ad stating "Our new VPS offerings", though.

Cheers
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Sprydotcom

when i go to order i see coupon space
    so can you tell us about it ? and how to get one

I never really understood the VPS concept. Can someone explain it to me? I'm 15 so I have much to learn.

Why sale department when all the answer can be share here with other thousand of people

abdoh2010,

The coupon can be found in the VPS Offers forum. Search for the word Spry in there and you can find it.
    Linux Dedicated Resource Virtual Servers, Virtual Private Servers, WHM / cPanel Licensing
    CentOS, Fedora, Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu, Slackware, cPanel, DirectAdmin, HostInABox, LAMP, Ruby pre-installed

Unmetered 1.5mbits is about 500 GB.
    :: :: :: :: :: ::
    :: VDSP.Net :: Directory of virtual and dedi serv providers by location and price

The coupon can be found in the VPS Offers forum. Search for the word Spry in there and you can find it.
    I couldn't find it in the forums?? Could you share the URL?

* Hosting offers

You can find it at:
    WebHostingTalk Forums > Advertising Forums > Web Hosting Offers > VPS Hosting Offers

Lucky

Thanks globstone!

Anyone else have some more recent opinions/comments on Spry? Their specs have passed my initial requirements and I'm seriously considering one of their VPS plans (with possibly moving onto dedicated as my site grows), however after Tektonic's nosedive I'm a little edgy about handing money over to someone new if they're going to disapear in a few months time. So I'm wondering, what is their support like, how long have people been happily using them?

Basically, I'd like somewhere I can run my site and not have to worry about moving it in a few months time..

I am one of spry customers and I can say that they are the best VPS I ever have
    The support is perfect
    One thing I like about there support is that when I send support ticket for them, they don't wait for me if I am offline
    They fix it faster then I can imagine
    Customers are they priority number one
    Last edited by abdoh2010; 07-23-2005 at 10:04 PM.

Spry sucks

Slow speeds. Some support not answered. Granted I'm a $12/month customer.

Hello,
    I want to apologize again, but because of the upgrades necessary to improve the functionality and reliability of our backup servers, none of our old backups are retrievable.
    --
    Stephen Koenig
    Spry Hosting Support
    Spry Hosting (URL WAS HERE
    )
    > [[email protected] - Mon Nov 14 16:50:35 2005]:
    >
    > What is the latest backup I could get? November 12 if possible
    >

I lost my backups due to disaster. I figued this company would be my saviour. Boy was I wrong. I'll be looking for a new host.

Quote Originally Posted by branflakes

Hello,
    I want to apologize again, but because of the upgrades necessary to improve the functionality and reliability of our backup servers, none of our old backups are retrievable.
    --
    Stephen Koenig
    Spry Hosting Support
    Spry Hosting (URL WAS HERE
    )
    > [[email protected] - Mon Nov 14 16:50:35 2005]:
    >
    > What is the latest backup I could get? November 12 if possible
    >

I lost my backups due to disaster. I figued this company would be my saviour. Boy was I wrong. I'll be looking for a new host.
    Wow so sorry to hear you had problems. We out grew our Spry account and always used the back space they provided as a sceondary backup but NEVER relied on them to bail us out. We created our own off site backup in case of an emergency.

We always backup'ed with them before making major changes in case somethng went wrong, but backed up customers data nightly off server. We felt it was our responsibility for keep our customers data safe. Just a difference in philiosophy ;-)
    Regards,
    Randy
    Okie Net Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by branflakes
    Hey, I'm a $40/month customer and I've waited a full day-and-a-half with my email not working properly. They got it temporarily working but didn't fix the underlying problem. When I asked about it, this was their reply:

Quote Originally Posted by Spry
    The problem is with your configuration and as such is not covered under
    our Basic Support Policy so we have not modified your system except to
    clear the stuck emails.
    My email has never worked properly. I've lost one client because of it and I've lost credibility with another one.

Their response is not unusual. I usually have to send two emails before I get a reply. I can wait days between messages. In addition to email problems I've been shut-out of my admin twice. Once due to an expired certificate and once because, well, I'm not sure why. But when they fixed it I was no longer able to login as "root" (although "admin" worked). Did I mention that my email has never worked properly?

I've decided I don't need VPS. I just need an affordable way to host multiple domains. I'm thinking of trying Media Temple out. They do 20 domains for $20/month and their setup matches my test box almost exactly.

I too have email troubles with Spry, they make no effort to fix it unless you pay $80/hour.

Aside from that I've always had good experiences with Spry, but I don't like having to constantly pay extra for support. Say I need help with an email account, occasionally (or more so, randomly) they charge $10/incident but other times $0. It could be the same issue, it depends on the technician that you get. The other thing I don't like is that they do not oblige by their SLA guarantee, it seems impossible for them to refund money.

Other than that I will recommend Spry to anyone. Be careful with their sales department - they promise things which they end up billing you extra for. Apparently they make 'mistakes a lot'.
    Hostime Managed Hosting
    Opening the bridge between your business and the world.
    http://www.hostime.com

Quote Originally Posted by whatever
    I too have email troubles with Spry, they make no effort to fix it unless you pay $80/hour.

Aside from that I've always had good experiences with Spry, but I don't like having to constantly pay extra for support. Say I need help with an email account, occasionally (or more so, randomly) they charge $10/incident but other times $0. It could be the same issue, it depends on the technician that you get. The other thing I don't like is that they do not oblige by their SLA guarantee, it seems impossible for them to refund money.

Other than that I will recommend Spry to anyone. Be careful with their sales department - they promise things which they end up billing you extra for. Apparently they make 'mistakes a lot'.
    Hate to hear everyone having problems, when we were with Spry the support was top notch, the VPS easily managed, and there was no charge for support, we just outgrew a VPS. It is shame to see it going down hill within a year of us leaving there.
    Regards,
    Randy
    Okie Net Web Hosting

Angry Email Problems....Spry Support Is Not A Great Help

I have been with Spry for a few months now. I, too, have been experiencing email problems for just as long.

While I usually have great success with their support staff, I am thoroughly disappointed in the manner in which they are handling my issue. I write an email and don't hear back until almost midnight of the next day after I report the ticket.

I am seeking alternative hosting sources because this outage almost made me lose a client which has def. scared one of their clients away!

They are great in all other aspects but the email problems as I can see here. I have yet to be asked for money for their support but wouldn't be suprised if I bitched long enough if they did ask for it.

It's sad to see such a lack of concern for a customer's request for help, especially with something as integral as email functionality. You can't do business without it.

have you ever seen http://www.spry.com/ design !
    try Firefox or Opera

:d

Thumbs down I have had spry for about a month

I have had spry for about a month now and the server speed is the issue my site is soooo sluggish it hurts. I an my visitor's are thouroughly frustrated. I posted for some help in their forum. I see three postings complaining about the same thing. It has been 10 hours since I posted it. I haven't gotten a response yet. It's not a busy forum. Maybe 5 - 6 postings a day by members. So they can't answer 6 questions in their furum in 10 hours?

So if your a potential buyer all you would see in their forum is topics like "Slow Server" and "Sluggish server". I would think they would answer just so those topics would be addressed. I know I would run if I first saw that in their forum.

They seem very nice. but I tend to feel detached from them. Kind of like I'll help you if I get around to it.

They need to address this asap. Once people start giving bad reviews. They sit here for a long time.

Finally the worst part iss that I moved to spry for the Unmetered BW and they slowed my site down so much that I am not using that bandwith anymore. People don't stay long on my site anymore. I find it a struggle to go on my site too.

I would reccomend Liquidweb.com as VPS host. I moved from them ONLY because of the BW issue. I will have to go back and hope it covers it. at least they are helpfull and SELL A GOOD PRODUCT.

SPRY.COM gets a Thumbs down

Limer

Quote Originally Posted by whatever
    Apparently they make 'mistakes a lot'.

Hmm, So is it safe for anyone to go with a hosting which apparently make mistakes a lot . What if by mistake they delete your account and say oops sorry by mistake we removed your account .

Thank for pointing out but personally i dont like hosts which make "mistakes a lot".

TERRIBLE HARDWARE AND SERVICE !!!! STAY AWAY

Try a2b2.com or Liquidweb.com

I just move (today) from spry to a2b2.com

all the best

Limer

Yes, Spry has VERY slow network connections and hardware.
    Hostime Managed Hosting

Thumbs down Stay away From Spry

I have been with spry.com They actually have the WORST SERVICE and WORST SERVERS!! You will ruin your sites business if you go there. You get what you pay for.
    STAY AWAY FROM SPRY
    I am with a new host the server has the same specs but the run 5 times faster. There System Admins have no I dea how to maintain a server.
    consider yourselves warned.
    I have never felt more scammed by a host.

I delayed switching from Spry because I've been swamped with business, working seven days a week, and couldn't afford the downtime if something went wrong during the transfer. I'm still as busy as I was when I posted a month ago, but it's become too much of a strain on my business. I have a thread up titled "Looking for small potatoes" to help me make my final decision today.

It's unfortunate that they were apparently a better company before I signed up. I hope for their sake (and their customers) that they spend some time reading what their customers are saying about them here because the service is ridiculously bad.

I have yet to find a hosting company I'm satisfied with.

Started with HostMySite three years ago (used my company's server before that). They were great until they chose not to fix a security hole that I pointed out to them. And they didn't support PHP.

Went to Crystal Tech and they were okay but I wanted to run multiple domains and with the small amount of bandwidth/space my sites consume, I didn't want to pay $17/ea. So I left them for SPRY where I could setup as many domains as I wanted.

What a nightmare it has been since then. If this trend continues I'm afraid to think how bad things will be with my next host. I'm on the downward spiral.

Limer:

Please let us know how a2b2.com is after you've been with them for a month or so (just in case I make another bad choice).

Exclamation

well so far 24 hours later....

Server Blazing fast. (8 times faster than spry)
    Support. I email the I get a response within 5 min or LESS !!! Visit their site. they let you ask for your spex desired an you make them an offer.

me I took

256 ram
    30 GB of space
    Cpanel
    fantastico
    300gb of Bandwidth.

34.99 + 7.50 for Cpanel

I'm happy so far.
    I just keep hearing great things about RUS (the owner) They say his companies pioneered the VPS industy. He actually very approachable and fixes any issu in minutes. HE EVEN TRANSFERED THE SITE!! after I screwed it up for free.
    If I am going to bitch about the bad (spry.com) I will praise the good a2b2.com is awesome initial contact. It really seems like they are just sitting there just for me : )
    Look at sprys forum my post Slow server ??? is still there (for now)unanswered along with other server performance complaints. They just dont care. I stayed with them less than a month and was billed for a month and a half.

Oh yeah I will make it my business that people don't sign up with spry.
    I don't want other's to be scammed.
    I believe they will rack up som sales. hold on to some newbies who don't know ant better the rename the company and continue the scam. They obviously can't continue this... right ; )

Limer
    Last edited by Limer; 03-22-2006 at 06:11 PM.

WHT Community,

Thanks for all of your comments. We of course take service, server speed, and network speed extremely seriously here at Spry. A couple of points I'd like to address with the community.

1. Spry offers a 30 day money back guaruntee on all of our products. If for *ANY* reason you're not satisfied, please let us know.

2. Your first invoice (sign-up) invoice may be for more than 30 days. If you sign up after the 10th of the month you will be charged for a full month, plus the remainder of the month that you signup in. It's simply how our billing system works, and this is not something that we chose to change. If you chose to cancel within the 30 days of course all funds collected would be returned.

3. For us to accurately troubleshoot problems related to server speed we need feedback from our customers. There is one user in this thread who has been very vocal, yet did not respond to our requests for traceroutes on 2 occassions. We need your assistance, and willingness to work with us through the rough spots in order to provide you with the best service possible.

4. We are here to help, that's our job, we're a service company.

5. Please read our support policies at http://www.spry.com/about/policies/support.html carefully before signing up. There is more than one option to obtain support above and beyond what is included with our base accounts. You can pay hourly, or you can choose to add this service to your account at all times. Please note we state the following approximate response times for support requests in that policy:

Emergency reboot 5 to 20 minutes
    High priority under 2 hours
    Medium priority under 6 hours
    Low priority under 12 hours

Also please note forums are, by their nature, a means for public discourse. While many support issues can be effectively handled in a public forum, there are some that can't. We make our forums available for users to help each other and for our support staff to help the user base as a whole. Every customer who has an account with Spry has the ability to receive personalized troubleshooting by submitting a ticket through our system.

6. Please feel free to contact me directly. I am the President of Spry and take all of these matters very seriously. I may not be able to directly address the technical nature of your issues in a timely fashion, but I'll ensure that your issues do get handled, and that Spry will live up to all service promises we make. I can be reached at [email protected].

We tremendously appreciate the feedback that the community has for us regarding our hosting products. Whille the negative feedback isn't always the most fun to hear, we have to hear it in order to continue to improve our platforms. We would be nowhere without you, and will do everything we can to provide you with cutting edge solutions with competitive prices.

Regards,

Cameron Jones
    President -- Spry.com

Exclamation To Spry President

To Spry President,
    I must say after all that mess Spry DID give me my 100% money back. You really need to find out whats going on over there. It's a huge problem and the word is spreading. It was a horrible month there. too much frustration.
    Any way thanks for the personal reply It goes a LONG way as far as credability. I wish you the best at spry

Limer

I have been having these same very sluggish server issues. I sent an email to the address Sprydotcom posted above.

Hoping for the best

-Dave

I'm glad they are trying to address the issues, whilst my comments probably seem negative, there are many more positive points to them then those which are bad. I'll contact Spry with my feedback shortly.
    Hostime Managed Hosting

Now that was a very professional and well worded reply. Its good to see issues like this handled by professionals like that. Most of this thread probably belongs in sprys forums or support tickets if you ask me... be then again nobody did , did they?
    Greg Landis | Founder Jaguarpc - Keeping websites happy since 1998
    Managed IT Solutions - Business hosting | Virtual Private Servers | Cloud VPS Hosting | Dedicated servers | Backup service
    Follow us @ Facebook.com/Jaguarpc | Twitter: @JaguarPC | (888)-338-5261 | sales @ jaguarpc.com

Response

I have been with Spry for over a year now, but only use their server for development purposes. Several months back I complained about slow response time and Spry customer support was totally unhelpful and even wanted to be paid to investigate the problem further. Regardless, it did improve a bit and I wasn't as annoyed *all the time* about their speed.

A couple weeks back we were forced into moving to a different server at Spry, and I noticed extremely slow speeds there, so I complained and this time I was pretty serious about moving if the problem wasn't resolved. Fortunately, this time they were on the ball and took measures to cap usage and move people off the box I was on. Wala! I've got *satisfactory* speed again. Maybe, the president started coming down hard on support after negative postings here.

Having said that, I would not host any important production servers at Spry at this point. Why did I have to complain? Why aren't these things monitored? Why are they stuffing their boxes with more customers than the box can handle? Why are the benchmarks so slow? etc. etc. etc.

At this point, I'm satisfied enough to continue with Spry, but I leave it up to other people who seriously use Spry to redeem their reputation on this forum. Unfortunately, people probably don't end up at webhostingtalk.com as a result of wanting to stay with their current hosting provider, so negative feedback is always going to outweigh positives and give a somewhat skewed view.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast