hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Advertising Forums : Community Reviews : Web Site Reviews : Please Review

Forum Jump

Please Review

Reply Post New Thread In Web Site Reviews Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-21-2000, 01:18 AM
Disabled

I finally have the design for my free web host up and running. Since it's almost complete I'm looking for feedback on everything from design and load time to spelling and word phrasing. Everything except the bottom links on the second hosting page and jobs page should be working. Let me know otherwise. My site is temporarily at http://syanet.virtualave.net/index1.htm

[Edited by syanet on 12-30-2000 at 03:32 AM]

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2000, 09:41 AM
WHT Addict

Talking

Looks good! One thing and maybe it`s just me. The text on the first page looks cluttered. I would try and seperate your key points instead of having one big paragraph. Like I said it might just be me!
Another thing is to check your text. There were a couple of words that were out of place.

Old 12-21-2000, 02:25 PM
ex-Aussie

I have to agree with the cluttered text. One solid chunk in the middle of a page is never easy to read. A few paragraphs of short, informative sentences would be much better.

You might want to re-think the red and green (especially the green). At 4am in the morning here I was sure it was going to give me a stroke. Maybe something 'softer' and less harsh

Finally if you're going to use that design with solid areas of grey with black lines everywhere try to break it up a little. You have to make the graphics stand out to compensate for the blandness of the structure. Done right it'll look great - right now it could use some work.

Greg Moore

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2000, 02:54 AM
Disabled

I made a lot of changes including splitting up the front page as well as most of the sub pages. What do you think now?

Old 12-23-2000, 05:40 AM
ex-Aussie

Much better!! I actually read your text this time *lol* You'll notice just adding those paragraphs lightens the look of the page? That's a part of what's called 'Effective use of White Space' While graphics and content are important a lot of people always overlook the spacing between the visual elements of a website. The best looking graphics in the world never look right if they are crammed together of badly aligned - it's an overall package.

You're using <border> tags to get your outlines. If it's possible for you, you might want to look at CSS instead. It'll half with width of that "1" border and make it less dominating Look at my index page at http://www.akashik.net and you'll see what I mean. Our sites are very close structure wise with a header area and a 20/60/20 column system under it. The difference is only in the style of boxing everything. Instead of boxing the columns, I've used CSS to box paragraphs of text. It breaks up the lines everywhere and makes it easier to scan.

You need to work on your Z as well.

Definition: Z is a reference to the way someone scans a page. The most effective way to get someone to look at everything instantly is drag them in a Z shape. Because (in most languages) people read from left to right they automatically start at the left top part of a page. They scan right (where you place something to catch their eye like my 30 money back offer via the navigation menu). Next you convince them to scan down to the left (the plans via 24/7 support, Plans from $7.95 and the akashik.net logo), at which point they usually scan right again. In less than a second they have had the full top half of the site imprinted with the main points I wish to make.

After that the site is positioned to drag the eye down the page via the columns, inticing people to use that scroll bar they hate. Finally at the bottom is an 'added extra' to drive home the point.

You can thank all that brainwashing in school for the consistancy at which people will follow that *lmao*

So all in all webdesign is part artistry, part programming, part psychology. You get about 30 seconds to make your point before they leave so it's gotta stand out (but not TOO much) In the real world I'm not much past drawing a stick figure - I'd like to think my websites show I have a good eye though

Best Regards,
Greg Moore

Old 12-23-2000, 05:49 AM
Web Hosting Master

Do you also own midhost.com they are very similar?.

Old 12-23-2000, 05:56 AM
ex-Aussie

I think he does. Just did a DNS check and the registrants etc are the same.

Greg Moore

Old 12-23-2000, 01:50 PM
Disabled

Same person, new name.

Old 12-24-2000, 02:53 PM
Web Hosting Master

Put another box under the features box to even it out. Otherwise its a nice clean design.

Old 12-24-2000, 03:42 PM
Disabled

That's just what I got done asking the people on another board that were reviewing my site. I don't know what to put there. I thought of free e-mail, but who want's e-mail from a website host that's co-branded by everyone.net anyway?

Old 12-24-2000, 03:50 PM
Web Hosting Master

How about a box that has - server uptime - tech response time etc etc for each month.

Old 12-25-2000, 10:51 AM
ex-Aussie

Quote:
Originally posted by syanet
I thought of free e-mail, but who want's e-mail from a website host that's co-branded by everyone.net anyway?
Very true. Maybe a box offering them free email 'services' Let them know it's possible for you (if it is) to offer them the everyone.net services on their site. It may not be a big thing to some people but other will appreciate the fact they can offer their own little hotmail at their domain.

Greg Moore

Old 12-30-2000, 12:31 AM
Disabled

I decided to put links to my sponsors and staff there. I now consider the site complete, so if there's any final reviews...go ahead.

Old 12-30-2000, 01:02 AM
Web Hosting Master

just tired

Just tried to review your site and it wouldnt even load, just a fyi

Old 12-30-2000, 01:43 AM
Disabled

That's odd. It's always worked for me. If it was out, it's back now.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Security-as-a-Service Provider Alert Logic Announces Log Manager for Windows Azure, New UK VP of Sales Web Hosting News 2014-01-16 13:31:23
Review Group Releases Recommendations for Government Access to Private Data Web Hosting News 2013-12-24 09:51:22
Nicole Henderson Named Editor in Chief of the Web Host Industry Review Web Hosting News 2013-02-12 13:40:41
How Web Hosts Can Capitalize on the Social Media Marketing Craze Webinars 2012-10-25 17:45:41
Startup Review Signal Mines Twitter for Reliable Web Hosting Reviews Web Hosting News 2012-09-25 15:52:28