Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by Frosty
    Interesting, I had no idea about www.donotcall.gov ... I'm a bit slow.

I added my mother's phone number on it as well as my own... she gets tons and tons of telemarketers calling where she lives. Curious to see if this really helps...
    I think it will help, but the results will not be immediate. It can be a few months before the new do-not-call list is compiled and distributed.

It can be a few months before the new do-not-call list is compiled and distributed.
    Actually, telemarketers have 90 days from the date you signed up to remove your number.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

Originally posted by Storyman
    A female friend who was bothered by an obscene phone caller tried something similar. The police told her to get a whistle and blow it into the receiver the next time the obscene caller phoned.
    Do you happen to know my mom and I not know about it? 

Because someone did that to my mom... all the guy would do is sit there, and breath heavy and say nonsense stuff in spanish (probably a migraint type worker from the nearby town - it was a local #).

She called the phone company, and they told her to get a whistle, and the next time he called her after she got the whistle, she blew it as hard as she could...  Then he called again... she did the same thing...  This went back and forth for about 5 times afterwards... I think the guy can no longer hear anymore... because he got the hint   LOL

Storyman,

I didn't even think about that. Yes I hate those credit card solicitations. I get those constantly in the mail. I hate credit cards and never use them and never will.

I love my visa debit/check card which I can use just like a credit card except it yanks the money from my account right away.

Originally posted by rockergrrl
    Do you happen to know my mom and I not know about it? 

Because someone did that to my mom... all the guy would do is sit there, and breath heavy and say nonsense stuff in spanish (probably a migraint type worker from the nearby town - it was a local #).

She called the phone company, and they told her to get a whistle, and the next time he called her after she got the whistle, she blew it as hard as she could...  Then he called again... she did the same thing...  This went back and forth for about 5 times afterwards... I think the guy can no longer hear anymore... because he got the hint   LOL
    Glad the game finally stopped. The reason I'm somewhat knowledgeable about the matter is that I've been stalked twice--two different women. They were women I had never dated and did not know beyond a casual 'hello.'

The advice police/phone companies give is sometimes not very good. It isn't until it escaluates to a level where skilled professionals get involved that you learn about this stuff.

In both cases the women stopped when police detectives knocked at their door. The first woman also lost her job because of the nature of her work--she was considered a risk and had to be let go.
    Last edited by Storyman; 05-03-2005 at 06:04 PM.

Storyman,

I didn't even think about that. Yes I hate those credit card solicitations. I get those constantly in the mail. I hate credit cards and never use them and never will.

I love my visa debit/check card which I can use just like a credit card except it yanks the money from my account right away.
    Juliet,

Something that I just learned about is that B of A has a card you can purchase. It works like a Visa/Debit card, but isn't attached to any bank accounts. That way if the number is stolen the most you'll lose is the money that's on the card. Also, it prevents the hassle of having to close an account and opening another when it is stolen.
    Last edited by Storyman; 05-03-2005 at 06:05 PM.

Oh yes, I think I've heard of that. I think you apply a certain fund limit to the card and that's all you can spend or something like that.

But if something happened I would just do a chargeback and then get a new card... even though last time I was waiting an entire month for a new card! I had to use cash for everything in the meantime because I only like to have one card, what a hassle :)

Then my wallet got cluttered full of pennies..

Oh yes, I think I've heard of that. I think you apply a certain fund limit to the card and that's all you can spend or something like that.

But if something happened I would just do a chargeback and then get a new card... even though last time I was waiting an entire month for a new card! I had to use cash for everything in the meantime because I only like to have one card, what a hassle

Then my wallet got cluttered full of pennies..
    If you don't have reocurring charges assigned to the card it isn't a problem, but... imagine having to contact everyone and let them know the card number has changed. Also, do you understand you financial responsibility if the card is misused? Although the banks are fairly generous in their application of the rules currently you might want to review what the liability limits are if they decide to bring the full weight of the agreement into force. In many cases its around $500, but could be higher.

I'm seriously considering purchasing several of the cards and putting modest amounts on them. It's a convenient way to carry cash card without the liabilities.

Just have some fun with them, I always get the local newspaper calling my phone, I remember the last call

Guy: Hi this is so-and-so from the Buffalo News, are you the head of house?
    Me: Well, I'm the head of my house, but this phone you just called was lying on the persons porch while I was walking by, so I figured I would answer it.
    Guy: So this is not your phone?
    Me: Nope, just walking by thought I would answer it, I don't see anyone around, want me to go inside and get you a credit card?
    Guy: No No, you don't have to do that.
    Me: Are you sure? I can see his wallet sitting right over there on the coffee table..
    Guy: "Click"

I've always had a warped sense of humor, especially when it comes to messing with other people.. I really don't mind them calling anymore, because I know I get a laugh out of it, and they got a story to tell all their friends.. We both end up happy..
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

Thats a good one Trifolic.

I still like the one from that episode of Seinfeld...
    Jerry: (ANSWERING PHONE) Hello.
    Telemarketer: Hi. Would you be interested in switching over to TMI long-distance service?
    Jerry: Oh, gee, I can't talk right now. Why don't you give me your home number and I'll call you later?
    Telemarketer: (A LONG PAUSE) Uhhh... I'm sorry. We're not allowed to do that.
    Jerry: Oh, I guess you don't want people calling you at home.
    Telemarketer: ...No.
    Jerry: Well, now you know how I feel.

I tried it once, and the telemarketer asked if I got it from Seinfeld, it seems everybody has seen that show a few times.
    Haven't been on WHT for 6 years!

Trifolic,

That's funny.

You should record them and release a CD. There a guy (wish I could recall his name) who did just that. The call that stands out is one with a carpet cleaning salesman. The guy asks if he can take out blood stains, then goes on to discribe murderous scene and along the way asks if he can remove blood stains out of various pieces of furniture.

Okay, just googled and got the URL...

http://www.emailajoke.com/Calls2/

Enjoy

I rarely get calls since joining the DNC list.

The few times I do get an annoying call I just call my son in "Timmy come here" "yeah daddy?" "phone for you butthead" "ooh who is it?" "it's a surprise" then hand him the phone.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Originally posted by N9ne
    Next time they call, blow very hard into the phone so they go near-deaf on the other end. They won't call back again as it may have a detrimental effect on their health .
    I'm Zafar Ahmed.
    I provide
    SEO Services & eMarketing consultancy
    I'll be glad to hear from you

I love telemarketers.

As a Texan living in OZ I get calls all the time and then I put on my best Texas accent and act I am in Dallas Texas wondering why they are calling me all the way from Australia. You should hear them when I ask "Do you folks really have Kangaroos down there? Do they come in your homes? Do you keep them as pets?

Or if I do not have time to play with them I just tell them I have to put the guy that makes all the buying decsions on the phone and then hand it to my 2 year old.

yes, since the DNC list i have recieved no calls, its really nice.

Telemarketer: Hi. Would you be interested in switching over to TMI Long Distance service?"
    Jerry Seinfeld: "Oh, gee, I can't talk right now. Why don't you give me your home number and I'll call you later."
    Telemarketer: "Uh, sorry, we're not allowed to do that."
    Jerry Seinfeld: "Oh, I guess you don't want people calling you at home."
    Telemarketer: "No."
    Jerry Seinfeld: "Well, now you know how I feel."
    - Telemarketer and Jerry, in "The Pitch"

I can't wait to try that out when someone calls

Telemarketer(TM)- Hello sir
    Me- Hi
    TM-Do you have a television, sir?
    Me- No, I'm an ardent quaker.
    TS-Host, A Tulip Company - Hosting since 1995! - AS7219
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Bargain Dedicated Servers and High performance Dedicated!
    http://www.ts-host.com/ -@- dburling@ts-host.com -@- 1-800-977-TOWN

Telemarketer: Would you like to switch to XYZ Long Distance?
    Me: Sorry, me no speak english.

Works most of the time

Learning to say, "I don't understand" in multiple languages is kinda fun too.
    TS-Host, A Tulip Company - Hosting since 1995! - AS7219
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Bargain Dedicated Servers and High performance Dedicated!
    http://www.ts-host.com/ -@- dburling@ts-host.com -@- 1-800-977-TOWN

A long time ago I saw Andy Kaufman on The Tonight Show. He said that he originally developed his character The Foreign Gentleman as a ploy to frustrate thieves.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12