Lightbulb Your input about backing up my dedicated server

I have decided what company I want to go with for purchasing my dedicated server. They donít offer backup solutions so I need to find a good way to back up my data. Should I buy a second hard drive and back up my main one to it or should I buy backup space from another company? If I should buy backup space from another company, what company?

(One reason I donít really want to buy a second hard drive, is I am afraid that something might happen to the overall server) (Online backup companies?)

Thanks

-Brian-

BLBP,

I would recommend keeping multiple types of backups - not just a backup drive, but remote backups and multiple copies of the backups as well.

If the data is important to you - it's worth the extra little setup time (and afterwards it can be all automated to some degree).
    David
    Web hosting by Fused ó For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

bqbackup

As crnc says, offsite backup is always a good idea.

We use bqinternet for our off site backups, they are aggressively prices and offer a great service in terms of support and general quality.
    Monil Patel
    Reload Network - http://www.reload-network.co.uk

Be sure to checkout GNAX for backup solutions. Great people, great network.

http://www.gnax.net/backup/index.php

RaidArray is another option for offsite backups, its run by interserver (I think).

The main advantage of 2nd Hard drive is saving bandwith

Thanks
    SupportPRO.com -Transparent Technical Support for Webhosts
    Let the PROs handle your support

They best way to do this is run RAID 1 to mirror data (RAID 5 or 10 does it too), then have another hard drive on your system to do drive to drive backups (you can CRON these) and then have an OFFSITE (not at same NOC) backup server that you rsync or ftp data to. This can also be done via CRON.

Then just hope a plane does not crash into your datacenter. But wait! You would still have the OFFSITE backup wouldn't you?