Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Does all this mean that it's best to avoid VarHosting? They seem to have great prices, and the support answered my questions at 11:30pm on a Sunday night. I'm wondering if my simple, static sites are going to be up 99.x% of the time - that what I really care about. Thoughts?

I don't know, it seems that some people are having issues, some are not and it depends on the server on which you are placed. Tough call, I'd say prioritize your needs and if you go with them find a way to be placed on a server that is currently not experiencing issues but there are so many variables so that means nothing in the long run.

Or you could convince them to go higher than "PowerReseller" and up the prices for only a certain amount of resellers on one box. There are people out there willing to pay more for that. Maybe they'll consider it.
    Plexi Hosting and Web Services LLC - Solid hosting, gift cards

TalkShoe - Live, interactive podcasts

Im also facing problems with the MYSQL server....
    Most of the time its down...

I've recently moved to Varhosting after reading good things about them here. However, I am not happy at all, especially with the amount of downtime and errors, especially those over the last 24 hours, like a lot of the others I am on node103 server.

I can't dispute their level of customer service, however in an ideal world with a reliable host you shouldn't have to be contacting them about downtime in any case!. I certainly cannot recommend them to anybody whilst this poor level of uptime continues.

I was previously with Hiyacorp and thought that their downtime and server loads of 8+ on their thunder server was bad , now i've moved to Varhosting I have exactly the same problems!.
    Last edited by Chris1973; 05-06-2005 at 06:27 AM.

costumer service is good.
    getting feedback from their costumers is good too

getting new features and always finding new extra's to keep everyone happy is good too

but yes server loads swing very hard on all server it seems... I'm afraid they are just putting too much users on one server...
    (I think)

they've had some problems with spammers but measures have been taken to try and catch them

also suphp is being implemented on all servers

but yes cpu load is a pain... followed by very very short outages ...

what is suphp?

will it significantly change the server load issues they seem to have?

I feel like I am endlessly torn between varhosting and site5. I'm seriously considering flipping a coin and trying one......then the other.......

Varhosting is in for some big trouble. I got my simple email issues not yet solved in 24 hours. Does these guys know how to handle servers???

Joshua

so far I'm still not 100% sure but is there a distinct issue between the BudgetReseller and PowerReseller servers having issues (or not)? It appears that more of the people seeing issues are having problems on the BudgetReseller servers but I'd like to see more concrete information about that. If so, it would say that the BudgetReseller plans are getting put on servers that probably have more people on them and thus more chance to see these issues but I could be wrong. Clearly the PowerReseller servers are better with regard to processor and RAM, per the Varhosting web site.

According to the support forums, the word is that one of their servers may have been hacked. Some of the users are reporting downtimes of at least a few hours, one user states that it may have been having problems for the last 16 hours.

Yes, saw on their forums that in the past there was a hack in the past on one of their servers too. Hopefully that's not a trend. Don't know for sure how many times that this has happened so I'd recommend you check out their forums, ask them, etc.

Budget Reseller and Power Reseller, I believe are experiencing the same thing. At least I was, I was a Power Reseller.

Here are test results from Mr. Alert while the sites below were hosted by Varhosting:

5/2/05

http://trosegarden.com
    Fetched successfully with expected content = 83.26 % (179 of 215 tests)
    Failed = 16.74 % (36 of 215 tests)
    Average response time = 1.17 seconds

http://www.duyan.com
    Fetched successfully with expected content = 78.04 % (167 of 214 tests)
    Failed = 21.96 % (47 of 214 tests)
    Average response time = 1.79 seconds

http://www.espeleta.net
    Fetched successfully with expected content = 92.06 % (197 of 214 tests)
    Failed = 7.94 % (17 of 214 tests)
    Average response time = 0.80 seconds

http://www.maxsofmanila.com
    Fetched successfully with expected content = 81.40 % (175 of 215 tests)
    Failed = 18.60 % (40 of 215 tests)
    Average response time = 0.98 seconds

5/3/05
    Fetched successfully with expected content = 83.87 % (182 of 217 tests)
    Failed = 16.13 % (35 of 217 tests)
    Average response time = 0.94 seconds

Fetched successfully with expected content = 71.50 % (153 of 214 tests)
    Failed = 28.50 % (61 of 214 tests)
    Average response time = 2.03 seconds

Fetched successfully with expected content = 86.92 % (186 of 214 tests)
    Failed = 13.08 % (28 of 214 tests)
    Average response time = 0.64 seconds

Fetched successfully with expected content = 76.06 % (162 of 213 tests)
    Failed = 23.94 % (51 of 213 tests)
    Average response time = 1.51 seconds

Not acceptable!!! So, 5/4/05 I decided to move all of my sites to Site5. Here now is the result:

05/05/05

Fetched successfully with expected content = 100.00 % (216 of 216 tests)
    Failed = 0.00 % (0 of 216 tests)
    Average response time = 0.45 seconds

Fetched successfully with expected content = 100.00 % (215 of 215 tests)
    Failed = 0.00 % (0 of 215 tests)
    Average response time = 1.17 seconds

Fetched successfully with expected content = 100.00 % (213 of 213 tests)
    Failed = 0.00 % (0 of 213 tests)
    Average response time = 0.36 seconds

Fetched successfully with expected content = 100.00 % (216 of 216 tests)
    Failed = 0.00 % (0 of 216 tests)
    Average response time = 0.58 seconds

While I like their customer service and making friends is a plus, am there to host and put food on the table. Staying with them puts my "food" in jeopardy.

Can understand that.

Also, I notice that Roj (username niyogi) has "Account Disabled" as his status? Not likely to get a response here!

(edited typo)
    Last edited by Plexi_Hosting; 05-06-2005 at 01:37 PM.

Unhappy hacked

Originally posted by Chris1973
    According to the support forums, the word is that one of their servers may have been hacked. Some of the users are reporting downtimes of at least a few hours, one user states that it may have been having problems for the last 16 hours.

node 103 has been hacked, I got a trojan warning this morning when I tried to access a site there.

Im on Var hosting and have just started my business...If they dont stop filling poo in their servers, my business will die...
    Is their any way how I can get rid of this silly HOosting company and go to a new one which offers hosting at low prices?
    Please suggest me a company

Originally posted by Plexi_Hosting
    Can understand that.

Also, I notice that Roj (username niyogi) has "Account Disabled" as his status? Not likely to get a response here!

(edited typo)
    why roj is banned here, any Idea?

I have a power reseller account and have not experienced any major downtime or problems except the Planet datacenter fiasco. I did notice yesterday that I couldn't get into chat session, everything busy or whatever.
    Country-Tyme Web Hosting - Reliable shared and reseller hosting
    *Affordable hosting solutions with cPanel / WHM / RVskins
    *30 Day money back guarantee

Originally posted by GizmoPhreak
    Im on Var hosting and have just started my business...If they dont stop filling poo in their servers, my business will die...
    Is their any way how I can get rid of this silly HOosting company and go to a new one which offers hosting at low prices?
    Please suggest me a company
    You ordered "low price" hosting, you're going to get "low service".

Spend the extra bucks and get a well-known hosting company like:

http://www.hostrocket.com
    http://www.sonataweb.net/
    http://www.1and1.com
    http://www.hostgator.com

I cannot stress enough, if you order a plan which is low priced, and high data, then you are just asking for trouble.

Edit: Fixed links
    Last edited by swflnetworks; 05-07-2005 at 04:04 AM.

Originally posted by ScreamingEaglePC
    [B]You ordered "low price" hosting, you're going to get "low service".
    actually, varhosting has pretty good customer "service". but, it is not the customer service we really want. it's just an added plus.

Originally posted by haligi
    actually, varhosting has pretty good customer "service". but, it is not the customer service we really want. it's just an added plus.
    Service as in:

Support
    Server Uptime
    Business Practices (Whether they oversell or not, if they have a habit of lying to their customers to cover up their own mistakes, etc)

And from what I heard, against what their site says, they do oversell.

And when I confronted one of their sales agents about it, he was trying to give me an answer for 40 minutes.. Constantly see his "typing a message" icon going off repeatedly, until I had to tell him I had to go, then he said bye, So I know he got my message.

Its not always that he gets your message! I sometime need to write a message three times and then it goes to the next guy..!
    All I could say is that I was on node 103, I was facing trouble I just sent them a ticket and they transfered me and my accounts to node 101 within 10 mins.. My site was again up and running..Now the DNS is also working fine..

All I could say is..varhosting is great..just send them a ticket to change your server..and yes, never go to node 103 and node 106!
    Node 101 is new..

What do you do when varhosting.net site is not accessible? I dont know if it was site down or some bad trunk somewhere, but their site was not accessible. But surprising, my own site was accessible....

So I submitted a ticket through my own site. I got some problem with my email. Yes the tech did something to it. they responded. But it did not solve the problem. Then I responded to the ticket and said told them about the email problem (bouncing)

they had been SILENT ever since 24 hours ago. So I could not bear any longer. I wrote to Roj. I asked him what is the status....

You know what he said?
    He said pls open the ticket at the right channel!!!! (i.e varhosting.net)

Goodness, I have been chasing them up and down dont even know what the heck is going on and this is what I get from the founder himself , clearly ignoring my ticket status and insist i got to varhosting.net and open a ticket.

Am I at fault here???

Joshua

All I could say is that I was on node 103, I was facing trouble I just sent them a ticket and they transfered me and my accounts to node 101 within 10 mins.. My site was again up and running..Now the DNS is also working fine..
    Ditto. My account was moved and set up on another server in around 45 mins. I can't fault that level of service, in fact it's something which a lot of hosts could learn from .

It doesn't excuse the downtime, and the fact that the issues with speed and server load (for me) go well beyond what happened yesterday, but perhaps if Varhosting gave us the opportunity to move servers earlier, then it would probably had less of a backlash from it's clients. By dragging it out for over 12 hours with little information, and the fact that visitors to some sites were still getting diverted to a site which infected them with a virus, was the reason why most clients were being so vocal.

We'll see how the rest of the month pans out on this new server.

You are right Chris1973...

I really, really think that varhosting is simply going through some growing pains. No matter what, Varhosting is not out to screw anyone -- unlike some hosting that others complain about. I think that Varhosting will eventually get a strong foothold and figure their business plan out. When that time comes, look out. They do, afterall, have a very, very strong human touch behind the scenes.

I had to cancel my account with Varhosting and did so 12 hours ago for the reasons already complained about by many in this thread. In my cancellation notice I gave credit to my first month's experience and asked not to be refunded. But, Roj responded instead:

"We\re sorry to see you go. I understand your decision and will make sure you get a complete refund because that is what you are entitled to with our 60-day money back guarantee.

Give me a moment to process this and I\ll be right back with an update shortly. Thanks for your patience!

Regards,
    Roj"

How's that for sucky service? In my book, that's pretty damned GREAT service. Having been managing clients' hosts for over 7 years I can tell you, I have seen them come and go. One lesson I learned, bigger does not necessarily mean better.

Originally posted by haligi
    I really, really think that varhosting is simply going through some growing pains. No matter what, Varhosting is not out to screw anyone -- unlike some hosting that others complain about. I think that Varhosting will eventually get a strong foothold and figure their business plan out. When that time comes, look out. They do, afterall, have a very, very strong human touch behind the scenes.

I had to cancel my account with Varhosting and did so 12 hours ago for the reasons already complained about by many in this thread. In my cancellation notice I gave credit to my first month's experience and asked not to be refunded. But, Roj responded instead:

"We\re sorry to see you go. I understand your decision and will make sure you get a complete refund because that is what you are entitled to with our 60-day money back guarantee.

Give me a moment to process this and I\ll be right back with an update shortly. Thanks for your patience!

Regards,
    Roj"

How's that for sucky service? In my book, that's pretty damned GREAT service. Having been managing clients' hosts for over 7 years I can tell you, I have seen them come and go. One lesson I learned, bigger does not necessarily mean better.
    Well, what's good for the goose, isn't always good for the gander.

It's a different experience for each customer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast