google UK search results

Hi

I have just read that to be in uk searches in google you must have a .uk domain name or have your site hosted on a uk ip address.

Is this the case? i have .com domains hosted in america that seem to be listed on uk searches?

Can anyone confirm this?

If you check off the "websites from the UK" radio button on the homepage, it filters out most non-UK sites. There's probably a preference for UK sites in the general results too, but I can't say for sure.
    Dan Grossman - dan @ awio.com
    My Blog | Affiliate Program for Web Hosts

Thanks, but my worry is that i host uk sites for companies and im worried that those that have sites ending in .com will not get listed bacause my dedicated server is in the us?

Is this the case or shouldnt i worry?

I don't know the details of regional Google, but I would assume those sites would not be classified as UK and thus not show up in UK-only searches. It's possible they look for other identifiers of a UK site that I don't know about, since I have no reason to read up about it really. However, what I've heard is that moving a site to a UK IP or a .uk domain gets it in the "UK only" SERPs relatively fast.
    Dan Grossman - dan @ awio.com
    My Blog | Affiliate Program for Web Hosts

ihmedia,

Google uses ip-country mapping to map ip's to countries when, in UK's case, the "show pages from uk" option is used by users.

Simply put, .uk domains will be classed under UK pages as well as UK ip's.

This subject has been spun by many people to promote UK-based hosting, but in practice is not as simple as it looks.

Remember:
    You should never rely on ip-country mapping alone for your listing.

Don't listen to those who say "Don't risk a slow site that no one can find by hosting in a non-uk datacentre". It's not as simple as that.

Ok thanks apachi, so basically i shouldnt worry too much about putting a .com on my us server if its specifically a site for the uk market, there are many other factors taken into consideration and not just the ip then?

All sites listed in google.com are listed also in google.co.uk. Just checked with one of my sites - 162K listed in google.com and 91.3K listed when I push the pages from the UK radio button. No need to say that none of this pages is in UK, though some of them may have some relevance to UK, e.g., an -uk locale. But there are also -de and -us locales lsted.

I doubt even the authors of the new Google search paradigm understand what did they introduce in the end of last September. There is only one word appearing in my mind - complete havock.

Originally posted by ihmedia
    Ok thanks apachi, so basically i shouldnt worry too much about putting a .com on my us server if its specifically a site for the uk market, there are many other factors taken into consideration and not just the ip then?
    It really all depends on what you're optimising your page for and what sort of routes (how people find your page) your're working on. Having good meta tags and link popularity techinques by far beat ip-country mapping.

It definately bases it on both the domain's TLD/cTLD, and IP of where it is hosted (one or the other, or both, would be enough). I wouldn't worry too much though, as people hardly ever search for "Pages in the UK", just like most surfers have only ever used the "web search" and "image search" features

Originally posted by Imago
    I doubt even the authors of the new Google search paradigm understand what did they introduce in the end of last September. There is only one word appearing in my mind - complete havock.
    Yeah, sounds about right. They did well and truely screw it up. I find it a strange coincidence that this mess started happening around the same time they doubled the search index

Pretty much the only sites that won't show up on the co.uk are Google Sponsored Links that do not use the full content network.. instead just on the basic google.com or google.com/ncr
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / "Automate. Grow. Repeat"
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / A KEAP Certified Developer (KCD)