Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Do you think this industry is diluted?

Hi there.

I've been in this game a little while. I have done the reseller bit, moved up to one dedicated server and am planning on expanding even further. IE. more dedicated servers, a colo router, maybe even a full rack.

My question to you:

Do you think there is too much competition in the web hosting biz? OR is this one industry that will never be too diluted for thriving and fair competition?

What do you think?

Re: Do you think this industry is diluted?

Originally posted by rezilient
    . . . Do you think there is too much competition in the web hosting biz?
    The market is so huge, and so fragmented, that it's not like webhosts are rubbing shoulders with eachother (except on WHT), in their respective markets. I look out onto my Aussie marketspace, and the fields are huge, and ready for harvest.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Never rely on WHT for customers. In my opinion it will only make things harder. However, as a source of information its the best place to be. Remember, this is a forum, not a place to get customers.

But to answer your questions, put simple, Nope. Market seems really big in my opinion and with so many smaller companies going bust, it helps other companies benefit more. Eliminating the inefficient.
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business

Some people arent looking far enouh for customers, in which case it will seem diluted.... but it certainly isnt.
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

The incredible lack of ideas is what makes one feel there is so much competition.

But the potential market is huge and alot of it hasn't been touched yet.
    init.me - Build, Share & Embed

JodoHost.com - Windows VPS Hosting, ASP.NET and SQL Server Hosting
    8th year in Business, 200+ Servers. Microsoft Gold Certified Partner

This market is so incredibly oversaturated. It must be like 1 company per 2 customers or something and don`t forget all the wannabe monopolists like 1and1 or Yahoo. Quite obvious that it won`t work out for most companies. If you are asking me we really do NOT need any more competition.

thomas.smith,

Your wrong... But entitled to your opinion.
    Matt Wallis

Not at all. Find your niche and you'll be set!

Originally posted by UH-Matt
    thomas.smith,

Your wrong... But entitled to your opinion.
    No I am not !! You are proud about your 7500 customers but what if you'd stop asking people to become your competitors ?? Maybe it would be 75.000 customers by now and you wouldn't drive a Porsche but 25 Ferraris.

Why lie to them? My company is not threatened by new startups peddling for business here on WHT.

There is room for startups and established hosts side by side, so I say "go for it" and wish them the best of luck. They will only survive if they have energy and enthusiasm for their hosting business, and if they get past the initial hurdles then good on them!
    Matt Wallis

thomas.smith, please realise the hosting industry is very very young, fast-growing and ever changing.

I see hosting becoming a popular consumer service (like internet or email services) as the years go by and the potential market being a substantial majority of all internet users. By that scale, current companies have hardly scratched the surface of potential growth that can be achieved.

Companies that can solidify themselves now or in the next few years, evolve quickly, and come up with new ideas will continue to grow rapidly and have a loyal customer following.
    init.me - Build, Share & Embed

JodoHost.com - Windows VPS Hosting, ASP.NET and SQL Server Hosting
    8th year in Business, 200+ Servers. Microsoft Gold Certified Partner

I just say: Don't push this market as it is close to the edge. Now that the monopolists are trying to destroy us we should really look after our own asses and take the situation very seriously. Think about these aunt emma shops that are all gone now because of the wallmarts that are around now. That IS going to happen to us all sooner or later so that is a sure thing anyway. They question is: How much money can we get out of this before the market is dead. It will die. It is just a matter of time. 5 years ? 10 years ? How much time is left ? I just need to make enough money to live with the rest of my live within 5 years because when this business dies I do not want to be standing in the rain.

>Why lie to them? My company is not threatened by new
    >startups peddling for business here on WHT.

Just a year ago I was a startup nobody peddling for business here on WHT. One year later I am hosting 2000 customers and making 10k a month of revenue. And in yet another year I think I will hit the 7500 customer mark as well... And if you are advertising on the same places as me I will definitely take a couple customers who would otherwise have signed up with you. Do not underestimate the potential of a WHT startup nobody !!

Well if your growing like that, stop moaning! haha.
    Matt Wallis

The question is: How long will I be going like that with a market that gets more and more oversaturated...

Wait until the markets saturated before you call it oversaturated. There is LOADS of room in this industry as many people keep trying to tell you. If your finding it cramped then diversify your product.
    Matt Wallis

The thing is you are forgetting Thomas is more and more people each and every day are signing up with the Internet. Of though people are people looking for web sites as well. Every day more people are in need of a web site. On WHT yes it is packed, but this is a forum full of web hosts. Also there is always room for competition, because only the strong will survive is how I see it! Though web hosting is just like any other business you will always have competition no matter what.

If you are worried that your competition is going to take your business maybe you should be trying to do something different?

This industry has limited lifetime. That means to survive we really need loads of money. There will be a life after webhosting. Sad but true.

Originally posted by thomas.smith
    This industry has limited lifetime. That means to survive we really need loads of money. There will be a life after webhosting. Sad but true.
    Yes web hosting does have a limited lifetime, but none of us know when that lifetime will end.

Also I do agree with on some points Thomas so do not get me wrong . Though instead of saying "no more room" say yes there is room, and then do much better job then them. That way they would rather get hosted by you then another host .

I did never get into the reseller business because I always knew that attracting more competition for a few lousy bucks isn`t a good deal.

thomas.smith, so far i disagree with everything you have said on this topic very strongly. It would interest me to know how you have come to this conclusion and what you used for sources. If you are using WHT (by the looks of it you have), well then you have limited the scope of your reliability.

People need to understand that WHT isn't everything. Its just a forum!!! A place to exchange ideas and information.

I totally agree with UH-Matt. This industry just like the internet is still in its baby years. I don't find it difficult getting customers and I don't find it difficult competing against companies ten times bigger than mine.

I'll finish by saying this.
    There is plenty of room in this market. However when it comes to getting customers, its simply a matter of which room you setup your business and the size of that room.
    Let's just say WHT is a pretty small room with a lot of companies setting up camp in it.

Like i mentioned before, WHT is the best place for finding information and sharing expert as well as elementary knowledge, however don't depend on it for business. You'll be limiting your customer base and causing yourself a lot of hassle. It can even lead to the bankruptcy of your business if you're a start-up trying to get customers.

Just my opinion anyway
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business

Yes, there are customers in this market and I would like it to STAY THAT WAY !!

Originally posted by thomas.smith
    The question is: How long will I be going like that with a market that gets more and more oversaturated...
    With that thinking, go ahead and look at the overall picture..

Yes, new startups are happening every day, but tons more are crumbling.

* GeekStorage.com, LLC - Offering awesome website hosting for over 9 years!
    * Shared Hosting * Reseller Hosting * Pure SSD VPS * Managed Dedicated