how many ips needed Dedicated Server

hi i am thinking about getting a dedicated server the place i am looking at only offers 1 free ip the rest are $10 each.
    I will be just hosting websites, nothing other than that specially.
    Can i get away with the just 1 ip on my low budget Dedicated server?
    Any help or info on this would be great
    thank you

you will need 2 Ips for DNS.
    Synergy Blue LLC
    SonataWeb.net | SynergyBlue.com
    USA should so something about: http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/

2 will get me started?
    how many sites can i host with 2 ips?
    how can i dns my sites or do i have to pay a service for this?
    thanks

if you get a server, most server companies give you 5 ips.

you can pretty much host all your sites with 2 IPs if you want. Some customers might need their own IP for SSL. DNS, Mail, HTTPD, MySQL can all be in one box so there is no need to pay for a service.
    Synergy Blue LLC
    SonataWeb.net | SynergyBlue.com
    USA should so something about: http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/

It really depends on whether or not you use virtual name hosting or not. This is the standard (and recommended practice) unless the site is using SSL. There is pretty much no limit (other than server resources) to the number of sites you can have on one ip, so you could (assuming your server could handle the traffic/load) host thousands of sites on one ip.
    James Lumby

ok
    so you recommend 2 ips then
    can you give me some info on the dns part
    how that will work or a good tut to start reading about it?
    thanks

Well, if you do not plan to host your own DNS Servers then 1 IP should suffice. You should not have any trouble using that one single IP for more than 65,335 domain names on a single machine.

The website would only require a dedicated IP address if you need to host a SSL-enabled site.

For DNS servers, most people would host the required 2 DNS Servers on the same machine and to give the impression it is 2 servers, you need 2 IP addresses. Since DNS listens in at a different port from the normal websites, this 2 IP addresses can only be used to host web sites, ftp servers, mail servers and anything else provided they do not use the same port number.

You could use a 3rd party DNS Service such as DNSMadeEasy.com which provides 5 Redundant DNS Servers (all hosted across the US) to give you a true redundant service. This way your sites would not be down because your dns server went down.

Well, essentially, you will register a dns server on two different IPs, although this does defeat the purpose of having two different dns servers. You would do this with your registrar. Most places will give you a private vlan with a /29 and 5 IPs though, might I ask where you are getting only one? Also, you may want to ask if you are going to be on a private vlan or not...
    James Lumby

Re: reply

Originally posted by harhar825
    ok
    so you recommend 2 ips then
    can you give me some info on the dns part
    how that will work or a good tut to start reading about it?
    thanks
    Well, it appears that you might not be familiar with setting up of DNS Servers ? By the way, which operating system are you using ?

Maybe what you could do is to stick with the default 1 IP address for all your sites and use the DNS Made Easy DNS Service at http://www.dnsmadeeasy.com/s0306/price/dns.html . It is actually quite cheap, the most expensive plan is $29.95/year for 50 domains. The cheapest being $4.95/year for 5 domains.

All you need to do is to use the DNS Wizard and type in the domain name and the IP address for the domain name at DNS Made Easy and then that's all on that end. Then go to your domain name registrar and enter the provided DNS Server details for each of your domain name and it would work.

is registar a site/business?
    serverpronto is the one i am going to go with for my low budget box each extra ip is $10 more so i need to know how many i should get?
    not sure what private vlan means?
    thank you

The Domain Name Registrar is a business where you go to to register the domain names you want to use for your sites.

Like I said, if you do not intend to host your own DNS servers and will not require SSL based websites, you know the ones with the https:// then you can survive with 1 IP.

If you want to have your DNS Servers then you need a minimum of 2 IPs.

If you are hosting SSL sites then you need 1 IP per SSL Site.

Private VLAN is the technology they employ. On your end, it just mean that no one could hijack your IP address and use it on another server. There is more to it but that may get too technical.

Here is a more complex answer http://net21.ucdavis.edu/newvlan.htm

http://www.coloserve.com/vlans.html

it is going to be a fedora 3 box with webmin installed on it.

ftp will each of my clients all be able to ftp their sites up on 1 ip? to only their folder for their sites?
    thanks

Yes, there is only 1 FTP Server running on a single machine whether there is 1 or 1 million web sites on the server.

What would be required for the ftp server to determine which folder it is to redirect to would be solely dependent on the ftp username and thus you cannot have the same ftp username for different websites.

i do host sites with ssl certificates so i will need 2 ip for that right?

1 IP per Site with SSL. So if you host 5 sites with SSL then you need 5 IP addresses.

ok great
    will i need virtualmin installed to use with webmin?
    thanks

Well, you could use virtualmin or you could do everything by hand if you know what you are doing.

virtualmin

does virtualmin or webmin give each user/cleints a control panel to login to like directory admin?
    thanks

Definitely not with Webmin.

If I am not wrong, Virtualmin just helps you set up web site accounts easier but nothing is provided for your end user in terms of a control panel. You will need to install Usermin for that to happen.

If you managed to successful install WebMin, Virtualmin and Usermin and all the underlining services it requires, your user should be able to read emails and do some basic file management using the usermin interface.

If you actually intend to do a business or charge your users/clients then you need to invest something like Cpanel/WHM, DirectAdmin, Plesk or Ensim as your control panel. They would be more full fledge and goes beyond the basic set up and would be a lot easier to use.

Since you be hosting customers, it might be a good idea to host your own DNS servers, at least it provides a level of professionalism to your business.

I do hope that you know what you are getting yourself into at least on the technical front or else you get a lot of angry customers.

Make sure that you don't just get the cheapest server but one which would guarantee at least a good performance for your customers.

firewall on fedora 3 perferences

i just ordered the box with 2 ips
    it comes with fedora3 and webmin
    what should i do about a firewall?
    thank you very much

Install APF.