Should I start a business?

I am starting to realize just how saturate the market is... I am beginning to have doubts about the business... Perhaps it is not a good idea to invest my money into it. I was going to get a dedicated server, cpanel, whm, whm_autopilot, and offer business web hosting and email accounts. I would have a $500 a month marketing budget. Would I be able to pull ahead after 3 months of business? I would be a great support rep, etc.

I just need your advice, should I start the business or not?

You want us to judge your future on a paragraph of information?

Make a business plan and you should be able to estimate this yourself
    Ankit Gupta - Cernax Hosting
    "We're always second in the industry, the customer comes first."

I made a decent business plan, but it doesn't answer the question, because I don't have any "real world" experiance. I just need to know if I have a decent chance at making it big( getting 500 costumers in a year) Is that an over-estimate. The marketing budget will be $500, with some google adwords, and banners on sites like this:\

Undoubtably the hosting industry is growing however it is really up to you about how hard you want to work and how much you are planning on investing in this business. Every day new people need hosting for a website and it is up to you to find them the best way possible and get the to sign up with your host and not someone elses. So its really all up to you about how you want to go about it all.
    XTR Host
    www.xtrhost.com
    Providing the Best Hosting at the Cheapest Prices!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rudedogg1989
    I made a decent business plan, but it doesn't answer the question, because I don't have any "real world" experiance. I just need to know if I have a decent chance at making it big( getting 500 costumers in a year) Is that an over-estimate. The marketing budget will be $500, with some google adwords, and banners on sites like this:\

If you dont have any "real world" [i]experiance[i], then you probably dont have a decent chance at "making it big". My suggestion: Dont quit your day job, get a reseller plan and grow your knowledge. Also, excpect to spend more than $500 if you want to do it right, and you are going to start losing money. Good Luck!

any market are full with providers up the ying-yang. it's up to you to make it work.

Of course it's possible! But damn will it be hard! As I have said in many posts previously, if you're not good enough for the industry, then it'll kill you off quick!

It is very much possible to "make it big" (and I'm talking millions, big here), but its becoming increasingly difficult. You see, there will always be a market for hosting because people always need websites and those websites always need hosting!

Make a good business plan, have a lawyer look over it to make sure its all good. Get a solid reseller, start slow. Work your way up. use effective marketing techniques and yes, you could easily get 500 customers in a year.

That's my opinion on the topic, its hard, but not impossible. Just remember, always make promises you know you can keep and don't lie or cheat customers. Build up client relationships and get liked by people - word-of-mouth will do the rest!

>Should I start a business

No you shouldn't ! Honestly: This market is full !

Originally posted by will7
    Of course it's possible! But damn will it be hard! As I have said in many posts previously, if you're not good enough for the industry, then it'll kill you off quick!

It is very much possible to "make it big" (and I'm talking millions, big here), but its becoming increasingly difficult. You see, there will always be a market for hosting because people always need websites and those websites always need hosting!

Make a good business plan, have a lawyer look over it to make sure its all good. Get a solid reseller, start slow. Work your way up. use effective marketing techniques and yes, you could easily get 500 customers in a year.

That's my opinion on the topic, its hard, but not impossible. Just remember, always make promises you know you can keep and don't lie or cheat customers. Build up client relationships and get liked by people - word-of-mouth will do the rest!
    ^^ What he said

Thanks for all the topics, I would love to hear some more opinions. will7, what you said really motivated me.

>Thanks for all the topics, I would love to hear some more
    >opinions. will7, what you said really motivated me.

Thanks Will ! Great job I mean why leave the money for us if we can share it with the whole world...

> I mean why leave the money for us if we can share it with the whole world

Greedy ****er.

Originally posted by thomas.smith
    >Thanks for all the topics, I would love to hear some more
    >opinions. will7, what you said really motivated me.

Thanks Will ! Great job I mean why leave the money for us if we can share it with the whole world...
    You have the right to your opinion... in a few ways I agree with you... but you seem to lack tact in explaining your reasoning.

Yes. Most of questions people post here on the forum are so basic that if the poster spent 30 seconds typing in a google search query they could find the answer they are looking for. As such, I would suggest that most people here who are interested in starting a business probably aren't ready for it.

In this case, I find it hard that the person has come up with a good business plan, but still needs to ask the question.

However, your whole basis for suggesting people not get into the webhosting business seems to be that because it could take away from your revenue, seems just overly greedy.

By making it clear that you're only in it for the money, I think you'll eventually see customers leaving for hosting companies who care more about the success of their customers rather then just how much money they can get from them.

People just have a wrong understanding of this whole world in general. I think that is a problem of the civilized world: People have too much and forget that this world is a battelfield. Then when they realize that they won`t make it anywere they get depressive and stuff rather than to stand up and fight. Call it rude or tactless or whatever but this is the truth and actually you all know it. Business is all about outsmarting the competition. Small companies will disagree (that is why they remain small actually) but the larger the company you look at the more do their owners understand that what I said here is the truth.

thomas.smith is right in some respects! I'm not saying that if you do what I said in my post you'll have an easy ride and be a millionaire in 2 weeks!

Business is war. It's a tough, cut-throat world, is business. If you don't have the skills to make it, you won't. Simple as that! You can't learn to be a true businessman, you either are, or you aren't.

On the other hand, business may be tough, but, boy does it pay off! It's great fun and the returns are amazing if you do it right. Stick at it and it will pay off (in most circumstances)! Good luck to one and all, I too will be joining the world of hosting in the very near future! Watch this space!

I would say you didnt invest $500 a month and just started small with a mimal outlay, dont you think that is the the right choice, why try and compeate with the big boys, Start small take it slow and if it dosent work out like you want it to... Dont worry atleast you know your not in trouble with the bank, Why dont you try and target a certain market? Such ideas will make you money not just Your wallet, Time is also a key factor if you have 20 mins a day free dont even bother. I hope this helps, I trust you'll make the right decision.

Originally posted by will7

It is very much possible to "make it big" (and I'm talking millions, big here), but its becoming increasingly difficult.
    Just don't expect this to happen in a few months or even a year. It could take years before you finally make it big. Thinking that people will somehow start flowing in and signing up as soon as you launch your website is a mistake of the young and naive.

And I think thomas.smith makes some valid points. The business world is not a playground.

no you should not start a business... unless it is in the crafting market. Big money in the crafting industry I hear.
    Shared, VDS & DEDICATED Servers
    No place better.
    http://www.webdatum.com

Originally posted by WebDatum
    no you should not start a business... unless it is in the crafting market. Big money in the crafting industry I hear.
    Oh yeah? Well, just for that, I'm starting one. So HA!

great another host that should've been a crafting business... anyway, good luck
    Shared, VDS & DEDICATED Servers
    No place better.
    http://www.webdatum.com

Originally posted by E_man3
    Just don't expect this to happen in a few months or even a year. It could take years before you finally make it big. Thinking that people will somehow start flowing in and signing up as soon as you launch your website is a mistake of the young and naive.

And I think thomas.smith makes some valid points. The business world is not a playground.
    Again, you're exactly correct! I'm getting sick and tired of these "I started my hosting company 3 months ago and I'm not a millionaire yet" posts! It takes years to build up a successful company, but, what my post was about was saying that it is possible - with a lot of work!

Originally posted by Donboy
    Oh yeah? Well, just for that, I'm starting one. So HA!
    How amusing, starting a bussiness is not like breakfast, it needs thought & time you cant just turn around and start one.
    I trust youll make the right choice whatever it may be