View Poll Results: Should downloading free music be legal?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 40.00%
  • No

7 46.67%
  • I don't care

2 13.33%

Thread: Can you help?

Can you help?

Hi Everyone,

If you could just vote in the poll. It's to go in a political magazine for my coursework at college. Be great if you could help.

If you could answer the poll in more detail that would also be very good. If you do could you at least put your name and age. Location is optional.

Cheers

Well...it all depends.

Is the music copyrighted?
    If so, absolutely not. The artist put his/her time into this music, as well as several other people and deserve to be paid.

If a artist is giving away their music for free and say you are free to distribute it, absolutely.
    Haven't been on WHT for 6 years!

I agree with the above. You may want to clarify your poll.

Just to clarify....

I'm talking about artists who put their own time and money into making the album then someone downloading it.

Thanks for your comments. Please keep them coming *I need to go to bed*

Originally posted by magazineforall
    I'm talking about artists who put their own time and money into making the album then someone downloading it.
    And the music is copyrighted?

Well, it really isn't a question.
    Stealing copyrighted material is, and always will be illegal.

I don't see how there can be any questions about it, nor how anybody could justify the foul act.
    Haven't been on WHT for 6 years!

I assume you mean copyrighted music which the owner has not made freely available. If that's the case then no it should not be made legal. Lets look at some analogies, you own an apartment complex, should people be allowed to move in without paying rent? You own a web hosting company, should people be allowed to create their own accounts and use your service for free? You create a new piece of software for commercial sale, should people be able to download it and use it all they want without paying you? You own a store, should people be allowed to come in, take whatever they want then leave without paying?
    Stealing is stealing, theft is theft, no matter how you try to paint it.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

I assume you mean copyrighted music which the owner has not made freely available. If that's the case then no it should not be made legal. Lets look at some analogies, you own an apartment complex, should people be allowed to move in without paying rent? You own a web hosting company, should people be allowed to create their own accounts and use your service for free? You create a new piece of software for commercial sale, should people be able to download it and use it all they want without paying you? You own a store, should people be allowed to come in, take whatever they want then leave without paying?
    Stealing is stealing, theft is theft, no matter how you try to paint it.
    Your points are marvelous, I totally agree.

I also say no because if they were legal, sales of Albums might drop excessively or might be, and of course artists wouldn't be too happy. If you can download musics for free and burn them into a CD, what's the point of people buying albums? the pictures?

Thanks for your comments. Got some great information to use for my artical now.

Please bear in mind that I am not agreeing that downloading music illegally should be made legal.

I was interested to see if the view of record companys ripping us off would occur.

Did you know it costs about 25p to make the average album. The rest is just purely profit.

How can HMV justify a 15 price tag to us?

My personal view if the price is ever to fall then people should stop buying cd's. Which is of course never going to happen. I think downloading MP3's for free is a way of telling the record company to lower their prices.

Please keep the comments coming It's a real help

It is very hard for people to answer a quest that has legal implications. If a person privately agrees and says so on an open forum they may be frightend of getting into trouble. Personally I haven't given it much thought lately but what has been going through my minds is the Ipod and Sony's new player. I believe they offer very cheap downloads. How are they able to get copyrighted material and offer it for download at very cheap rates, isn't that ripping the artists off.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

The extortionately high prices charged on albums are because of certain levels of collusion occuring between major labels. They're all unwilling to cut prices as it's part of an unwritten mutual agreement that they will all enjoy high profits. If one company dropped its prices significantly, the rest would have to follow suit to remain competitive, but they'd all result in taking a cut in profits, so, for this reason, the price remains high. Naturally, investigation and intervention is the only solution to the high prices, although collusion is always a difficult problem to investigate, as it is often not "on paper", so to speak. In short, record labels are after these high profits, and so the prices are high. In my opinion, to drastically reduce online, illegal downloads, relevant legislation needs to be brought in so that record labels must lower their prices.
    <?php include_once('signature'); ?>