Do you hate signing up?

Just to purchase something.

I want to buy the Italian Job Soundtrack from walmart.com and I am not going to because they want me to create an account. It just bugs the crap out of me -- all I want to do is 'pay the man' and have it shipped out. Why do they need to keep me on file. There should be an option to just check-out without an account.

Now I am not going to purchase it. It sucks. None of my local stores have it either. What gives?
    You are unique, just like everyone else.

I have the option to purchase without an account installed on my osCommerce driven site. I get probably 40% of the people who purchase that use that. They just want to get in, buy, and get out.

Justin

It is a bit annoying when you want to buy something. I will say that Walmart.com has good prices and I've never been spammed by them for what it's worth.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

I think the idea of the "sign-up" was originally done as a convenience to buyers. That said, it doesn't bother me too much.

Yea, unless i'm in a hurry. Signing up doesn't really bother me.

It is not only buying stuff that requires you to sign up nowadays. Almost every site is trying to get their own set of user base. Not sure if it is to irritate people or...
    New site: www.talkutas.com

I hate signing up for sites in general. Whether it's to buy something, or just read a news article.

Well, I sign up for sites I know I will use a lot. With that said, I have only signed up with ebay, and ticketmaster. I dont plan on using walmart.com, and if i were to sign up for something, then I would probably go for amazon.com just because I think I would use amazon more than walmart.

The reason I dont like signing up, is I dont like keeping track of places I have signed up with, passwords, usernames, etc...

Oh well.. I just wish it was more convenient.

Yup I am one of the people. I hate creating accounts for things that I just want to buy and leave. Now if it is for web hosting that is different, but for products like this poster I just want to get in and get out.

Originally posted by portalplanet
    I have the option to purchase without an account installed on my osCommerce driven site. I get probably 40% of the people who purchase that use that. They just want to get in, buy, and get out.

Justin

There are many people who would like to just make a "one time visit" and post as a guest on this forum as well....but they are forced to sign up.

Can you blame Wal Mart?
    This way you can gather better statistics about your customers, and make sure the people who sign up are serious.
    Haven't been on WHT for 6 years!

Originally posted by jasong
    ... and make sure the people who sign up are serious.

They will know they are serious, when they get the credit card information and its checked against the CC company. They have my address then... And as far as I am concerned, keep it. Just dont tell me you are keeping it. I just dont want an account with that company...

as for forums asking for an account. Thats fine, there is stuff a forum account is good for. Keeping track of your posts (for your own reference) for things like editing posts you make, post counts, what threads you post in, etc...

ive seen a site once that held usernames and passwords for various sites for people to use maybe do a search on google ill look it up who knows

Originally posted by Jelle-D
    ive seen a site once that held usernames and passwords for various sites for people to use maybe do a search on google ill look it up who knows
    What kind of genius would sign up for that?

The same genious that keeps his password under his keyboard.

I remember windows software that did that way back. I think it was gator but I'm not sure. I didn't install it.

Justin

Solution to your problems: http://www.bugmenot.com/
    ии Repeat after me... ProSupport is the best... Prosupport is... ии
    ProSupport Host Support System - OUT NOW! Grab a copy yourself and see what the hype is about!
    VertiHost Inc. - We run a quality business. Do you?

That is for reading news articles on sites that require registration...not avoiding the creation of accounts for buying things.

It's a great resource none the less, thanks!