Shared WHM/CPanel Reseller -> VPS WHM/CPanel Root Reseler Transfer - Help!

I'm all setup with a VPS with LiquidWeb. It is functioning perfectly on the side of LiquidWeb, and it's basically acting like my own physical server - except less RAM and CPU time

My new problem is migration. I have CPanel/WHM on the VPS, and CPanel/WHM on my old host. But I don't have root/sudo access on that machine, and they recently disabled shell access (part of why I'm leaving them) for all my accounts. I have maybe a dozen CPanel accounts, with MySQL, add-on domains, mail accounts, you name it.

I'm having a hard time getting my stuff pulled over for a few reasons. I've been searching around quite a bit, and not finding the answer I need. I hope I'm missing something simple, or there's a trick, or something, as I'm not finding the tricks I need OR the checklist I need. I'm not a completely incompetent *nix user here. Take a look at my situation:

1) My connection is not terribly fast, so HTTP posting 400 MB is a bit on the slow side. (Try the greater part of a day)

2) The CPanel backup/restore GUI seems a little limited. I can do a "Full Backup" but there is no "Full Restore" option, as far as I can tell. Testing it with a 400 MB tarball would take a while, based on my connection.

3) I can push a "Full Backup" from my old CPanel account to my new one (400 MB in just a few moments), but there's no way to "apply" it as far as I can tell, aside from untarring and trying to figure out how to place all the information and settings. I would have to manually re-load MySQL stuff (which would be OK), but I have no idea about all the other settings - mail, add-on domains, etc. Is there a "checklist" or tutorial on how to manually restore all this - things not restored by restoring the home directory, etc? I really need to catch *everything* here.

4) Doing the "Copy an account from another server with account password" almost works. A handful of my accounts could be transferred with this technique, some of them requiring a second try. But most of my accounts have errors. (See transcript at end). It seems to be checksum-related. I can't seem to find the script that controls this on my server, or I would eliminate the checksum verification and see what happens.

5) Moving the entire set of accounts over in one swipe using WHM is impossible, due to my lack of a root or sudo account on the remote machine. I don't even have SSH anymore.

Can anybody give me some suggestions to as to the simplest CPanel migration technique? I am having a bit of a challenging time, and while I could in theory do it manually, it would be 1) time consuming (which I guess would be OK) and 2) error-prone (this is the real problem - what if I forget something important? Or mis-configure something? My clients would not be happy.)

Here's some sample errors from #4 attempts:

----------------------------------------------------------------

Attempting to copy philium from ftp.philium.org
    Attempting to login as philium to ftp.philium.org via ftp
    Login ok
    Uploading Htaccess
    Uploading Wrapper
    Uploading Dectector
    Uploading Packager
    Uploading Downloader
    Uploading Killer
    chmoding scripts
    Found uid to be: 32761
    Compiling wrapper
    uploading wrapper
    chmodding wrapper
    Closing FTP Control
    Packing Account using suexec method

pkgacct started.
    pkgacct version 3.1 - running with uid 32761
    using time::hires for speedups
    Copying Reseller Config...Done
    Copying SSL Certificates, CSRS, and Keys...Done
    Copying Mail files....Done
    Copying frontpage files....Done
    Copying proftpd file....Done
    Copying www logs.............
    Done
    Grabbing mysql dbs............
    Done
    Grabbing mysql privs...Done
    Copying mailman lists....Done
    Copying mailman archives....Done
    Copying homedir.............
    Done
    Copying cpuser file.......Done
    Copying crontab file.......Done
    Copying quota info.......Done
    Storing Subdomains....
    Done
    Storing Parked Domains....
    Done
    Storing Addon Domains....
    Done
    Copying password.......Done
    Copying shell.......Done
    pkgacctfile is: /tmp/cpmove-philium.tar.gz
    Creating Archive .............
    Done
    FOUND MD5 to be : b5aa64430064f399257082e52e3bc71f
    md5sum is: b5aa64430064f399257082e52e3bc71f
    DOWNLOAD READY in /tmp/cpmove-philium.tar.gz
    Downloading Tarball
    Removing Scripts using suexec method

UNLINKED
    Checksum Failure [[d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e]] [[b5aa64430064f399257082e52e3bc71f]]...trace information follows...
    HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 13:16:47 GMT
    Server: Apache/1.3.33 (Unix) mod_auth_passthrough/1.8 mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/1.4 PHP/4.3.10 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 mod_ssl/2.8.22 OpenSSL/0.9.7a
    Connection: close
    Content-Type: text/html

pkgacct started.
    pkgacct version 3.1 - running with uid 32761
    Done
    Done
    Done
    Storing Subdomains....
    Done
    Done
    Done
    Copying shell.......Done
    pkgacctfile is: /tmp/cpmove-philium.tar.gz
    Done
    md5sum is: b5aa64430064f399257082e52e3bc71f
    DOWNLOAD READY in /tmp/cpmove-philium.tar.gz

Error while copying account...! Aborting Extraction

Another error:

Attempting to copy wakes from ftp.wakesdriving.com
    Attempting to login as wakes to ftp.wakesdriving.com via ftp
    Login ok
    Uploading Htaccess
    Uploading Wrapper
    Uploading Dectector
    Uploading Packager
    Uploading Downloader
    Uploading Killer
    chmoding scripts
    Found uid to be: 32903
    Compiling wrapper
    uploading wrapper
    chmodding wrapper
    Closing FTP Control

pkgacct started.
    pkgacct version 3.1 - running with uid 32903
    Done
    Done
    Done
    Storing Subdomains....
    Done
    Done
    Done
    Copying shell.......Done
    pkgacctfile is: /tmp/cpmove-wakes.tar.gz
    Done
    FOUND MD5 to be : aad0984506932b7f494af52aa08b4811
    md5sum is: aad0984506932b7f494af52aa08b4811
    DOWNLOAD READY in /tmp/cpmove-wakes.tar.gz
    Downloading Tarball

UNLINKED
    Checksum Failure [[d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e]] [[aad0984506932b7f494af52aa08b4811]]...trace information follows...
    HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 13:15:41 GMT
    Server: Apache/1.3.33 (Unix) mod_auth_passthrough/1.8 mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/1.4 PHP/4.3.10 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 mod_ssl/2.8.22 OpenSSL/0.9.7a

pkgacct started.
    pkgacct version 3.1 - running with uid 32903
    Done
    Done
    Done
    Storing Subdomains....
    Done
    Done
    Done
    Copying shell.......Done
    pkgacctfile is: /tmp/cpmove-wakes.tar.gz
    Done
    md5sum is: aad0984506932b7f494af52aa08b4811
    DOWNLOAD READY in /tmp/cpmove-wakes.tar.gz

Error while copying account...! Aborting Extraction

Re: Shared WHM/CPanel Reseller -> VPS WHM/CPanel Root Reseler Transfer - Help!

Originally posted by blueandwhiteg3
    1) My connection is not terribly fast, so HTTP posting 400 MB is a bit on the slow side. (Try the greater part of a day)

2) The CPanel backup/restore GUI seems a little limited. I can do a "Full Backup" but there is no "Full Restore" option, as far as I can tell. Testing it with a 400 MB tarball would take a while, based on my connection.

3) I can push a "Full Backup" from my old CPanel account to my new one (400 MB in just a few moments), but there's no way to "apply" it as far as I can tell, aside from untarring and trying to figure out how to place all the information and settings. I would have to manually re-load MySQL stuff (which would be OK), but I have no idea about all the other settings - mail, add-on domains, etc. Is there a "checklist" or tutorial on how to manually restore all this - things not restored by restoring the home directory, etc? I really need to catch *everything* here.

4) Doing the "Copy an account from another server with account password" almost works. A handful of my accounts could be transferred with this technique, some of them requiring a second try. But most of my accounts have errors. (See transcript at end). It seems to be checksum-related. I can't seem to find the script that controls this on my server, or I would eliminate the checksum verification and see what happens.

5) Moving the entire set of accounts over in one swipe using WHM is impossible, due to my lack of a root or sudo account on the remote machine. I don't even have SSH anymore.

Can anybody give me some suggestions to as to the simplest CPanel migration technique? I am having a bit of a challenging time, and while I could in theory do it manually, it would be 1) time consuming (which I guess would be OK) and 2) error-prone (this is the real problem - what if I forget something important? Or mis-configure something? My clients would not be happy.)
    Here is the method that I see as the easiest.

Step 1: Login to the CPanel account of a user on the old server. Generate a full backup. Once it gives you the link to it, right click on it and copy the URL that it gives you.

Step 2: Login to SSH on the new server and use the following commands -
    * cd /home
    * wget <paste the URL that you copied in Step 1.> (remove the "<" and ">". Wait for the wget to complete. Also, take note of the backup file name, you will need it later.

Step 3: Login to root WHM.
    a) Click Backup
    b) Click Restore a Full Backup/cpmove file
    c) Insert the username and restore. Wait for the restore to fully complete, then check to make sure it went through properly (99.9% chance it did).

Step 4: Login to SSH and delete the backup that you wget'ed.
    * cd /home
    * rm <insert the backup file name here> (remember you saved this in Step 2.

It looks hard but it's really easy once you get the hang of it.

Cheers
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

You can try "Copy account from another server with account password" option in the "Transfer" section. It is very easy to use and it works very good, you only have to know the username and password of all the accounts, but you can change them in the old WHM if you do not know them.

Hope that helps.

Regards
    Portugal Networks
    Shared and Reseller cPanel Accounts. NEW! Windows 2003 with Plesk, ASP.NET 2.0 and MSSQL 2005.

Originally posted by PTNHosting
    You can try "Copy account from another server with account password" option in the "Transfer" section. It is very easy to use and it works very good, you only have to know the username and password of all the accounts, but you can change them in the old WHM if you do not know them.

Hope that helps.

Regards
    No that won't help because blueandwhiteg3 tried it already. Read the full post before posting help.

Cheers
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Sorry about that

my eyes are asking to go to beed

Regards
    Portugal Networks
    Shared and Reseller cPanel Accounts. NEW! Windows 2003 with Plesk, ASP.NET 2.0 and MSSQL 2005.

Elix -
    Sounds like you have the trick for me!

I'm a little unclear as to how whm determines where to "grab" the user (the file name and such seem rather unusual), but your description should get me started. I basically will have to go along and play around and figure it out.

I've done a lot of work with *nix and the terminal stuff looks like a breeze. I wasn't aware that a cpanel full backup could be restored by whm. That's the real juicy nugget of information here!

I am going to try this later this evening. I will post back here with how this works out. I would try it now, but i'm logged onto WHT on my mobile. While I do have an ssh client and a web browser and the whole nine yards, it's a bit clunky on a 320x320 lcd, even though it's pretty bright and sharp

It is doable. What you have to do is:
    1) Enable the backup feature on your new VPS.
    2) rename the back files you downloaded to this format:
    username.tar.gz
    3) move the backup files into a directory under the backup directory you setup in WHM (usually they are called Daily, Weekly, Monthly or you can add another one..)
    4) Log into WHM as root, and go to the multiple account restore menu
    5) Your backup files should show in the menu now. You can check the features you want to enable and restore them from there.

Wazeh-
    Thanks for making the connection here. This should make my life easier when I get to this in about an hour.

All I have to do is find my whm backup directory, which should be really easy.

My understanding is this is a complete backup and restore of everything, so it should be a breeze to pull over a dozen or so cpanel accounts. 400 MB flies in just a few minutes from host to host!

I'm endlessly surprised at how helpful everybody on WHT is. You guys seem to know everything and be happy to share!

OK, so the process was great!

Perhaps this will help somebody:

1) In CPanel on the host I'm migrating away from, I used the send to remote server via SCP function and sent the tarballs to /home for each CPanel account I wanted to pull over.

2) In WHM on the host I'm migrating to, I simply used "Restore a Full Backup/cpmove file" under Backup, entering in the username I wanted to restore.

3) There is no #3! You're done.

You don't have to rename the tarballs or move them. You don't have to setup the accounts before restoring. You don't have to do anything except steps 1 and 2 for EVERYTHING to come over! Even the settings (quote/bandwidth/etc). WHM even "cleans up" after itself and deletes the tarballs once they're untarred and in place.

This is SO easy. I wish I had known about this before spending hours messing around.

In the future, if I have a number of accounts, I'll write a PHP script to handle this automatically. It would be a pretty simple adaptation of my web spider code! (I'm surprised that CPanel doesn't have a script that does this automatically. It would be quite easy, and secure and efficient if SCP is available.)

Now all I have to do is wait for DNS to update and I'll be all set!

Originally posted by blueandwhiteg3
    OK, so the process was great!

Perhaps this will help somebody:

1) In CPanel on the host I'm migrating away from, I used the send to remote server via SCP function and sent the tarballs to /home for each CPanel account I wanted to pull over.

2) In WHM on the host I'm migrating to, I simply used "Restore a Full Backup/cpmove file" under Backup, entering in the username I wanted to restore.

3) There is no #3! You're done.

You don't have to rename the tarballs or move them. You don't have to setup the accounts before restoring. You don't have to do anything except steps 1 and 2 for EVERYTHING to come over! Even the settings (quote/bandwidth/etc). WHM even "cleans up" after itself and deletes the tarballs once they're untarred and in place.

This is SO easy. I wish I had known about this before spending hours messing around.

In the future, if I have a number of accounts, I'll write a PHP script to handle this automatically. It would be a pretty simple adaptation of my web spider code! (I'm surprised that CPanel doesn't have a script that does this automatically. It would be quite easy, and secure and efficient if SCP is available.)

Now all I have to do is wait for DNS to update and I'll be all set!
    Actually the transfer account with another server with account password is a script that does this.. But, that tends to hang and get a ton of errors. Glad I could be of help to you =)

Cheers

sorry for the ignorance, but what is "SCP function"?

Actually the transfer account with another server with account password is a script that does this.. But, that tends to hang and get a ton of errors.
    Actually, it doesn't.

The transfer script goes into the remote server via FTP and invokes certain perl scripts and such. It's very failure prone, and slightly insecure. In my situation, it failed for all but 2 accounts, and only one of those worked on the first try. It's also slow, and slightly insecure.

This process, on the other hand, pushes out via SCP a backup. It does not rely on things that can be misconfigured (intentionally or not) on the server you're leaving. It's fast. It's secure. I don't know why CPanel doesn't use this technique instead of the one it has setup now.

I am having somewhat of a similar problem with the exception that I do not have cpanel on my current host that gives me an option of creating a backup.

The cpanel of my new host does have the following option "Copy account from another server with account password" option in the "Transfer" section.

I tried that however I receive the following error:

Attempting to login as cocoahig to 209.92.50.61 via ftp
    Login ok
    Uploading Htaccess
    Uploading Wrapper
    Uploading Dectector
    Uploading Packager
    Uploading Downloader
    Uploading Killer
    chmoding scripts
    Found uid to be: 9721
    Compiling wrapper
    uploading wrapper
    chmodding wrapper
    Closing FTP Control

pkgacct started.
    pkgacct version 4.1 - running with uid 9721
    Unable to find domain name for cocoahig
    DOWNLOAD READY in /tmp/cpmove-cocoahig.tar.gz
    Downloading Tarball

UNLINKED
    Checksum Failure [[d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e]] [[]]...trace information follows...HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 15:37:26 GMT
    Server: Apache/1.3.29 (Unix) PHP/4.3.5 PHP/3.0.18 mod_perl/1.29 FrontPage/4.0.4.3 mod_ssl/2.8.16 OpenSSL/0.9.6m

pkgacct started.
    pkgacct version 4.1 - running with uid 9721
    Unable to find domain name for cocoahig
    DOWNLOAD READY in /tmp/cpmove-cocoahig.tar.gz

Error while copying account...! Aborting Extraction[FONT=verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande',arial,helvetica,sans-serif]

I have 11 sites and 1 huge MySQL database that I need to transfer over and it
    would such a pain to have to do them all manually.

Any ideas on how I should handle this and why I can't get the above to work?

Thanks for your help!

donm
    [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by PTNHosting

Hope that helps.

Regards
    He'll have the same problem, unfortunately cPanel has had a lot of issues over the last few months with certain releases breaking the transfer feature. Transfering the accounts over through manual backup files is the only way to go in some cases.
    SHAW NETWORKS Simple. Professional. Reliable. Web Hosting Done Right.
    Low Cost & Award-Winning: cPanel Reseller Plans 24/7/365 Live Technical Support
    Website: www.shawnetworks.com Fast Response E-mail: sales @ shawnetworks.com
    Sick of downtime? Fed up with excuses? Drop your host! Switch to Shaw Networks.

Ok this is the fool proof way to do it in a step by step guide. I've noticed some mention bits and pieces but not the entire way I think makes life very easy.

1) On the server the accounts are going to create a new account called backup or something similar. Record the information IP, username and password (you'll need these later)

2) Login to the account in question that you want to move select the full backup option. Select the FTP transfer option and put the information from #1 in.

3) Once the backup is created login to root of the destination server go to the backup account's folder and mv the backup file created into /home/. If you have muliple accounts you want restored do mv backup* (or some similar wildcard) to /home/

4) Login to WHM with your root account and select the "Restore a Full Backup/cpmove file option". From here you will see a list of the usernames of the backups you generated. Put them in 1 by 1 and you'll be able to restore them no problem no errors at all.

That's what we do for resellers who need some accounts moved to their account with us. Has been the most reliable way to do things. We've found the FTP transfer option to be the best option since it avoids the need to wget the files after creation just a quick paste options in go to next account.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X & PHP 7.0.X Support!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyB
    2) Login to the account in question that you want to move select the full backup option. Select the FTP transfer option and put the information from #1 in.
    This is where my problem is - I do not have an option like this as all I have is FTP access.... the control panel is "controlpoint" which is absolutely useless. I cannot create backups at all.

Is there any other option? or is there someone out there willing to help me with this move?

I would really appreciate the help.

Donm

This control panel isn't cPanel then I'm assuming? If that's the case you really need to do it manually do a DB backup and download all the ftp files and upload everything again and create anything that is needed.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X & PHP 7.0.X Support!

I have another solution:

old server:
    Code:
    /scripts/pkgacct username
    scp /home/cpmove_username.tar.gz IP_server_2://home
    new server:
    Code:
    /scripts/restorepkg username

try doing a backup of your site from Cpanel then put it in your /home and run
    /scripts/restorepkg username
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore