Thread: music database

music database

Need Music Library catalogue database

I am a songwriter and a new publishing company would like me to set up their new data base for all us songwriters. They want it on Mac (the application-one macintosh computer where I will do Data Entry) and so far I have heard of Filemaker Pro, and the language of SQL.

Something artitst friendly but good. Price does not seem to be an object. I only know music and have a modest understanding of this tool I need so bad everyday: my computer.

Thank you in advance- you guys are the best!!!

Sorry. Guess I should tell you the fields I need:
    Song title, song number, publishers (1,2,3) Agents (1,2,3, 4) songwriters (1,2,3,4,5,6) percentage,genre, affiliation (BMI, ASCAP,) and individual referral list

This was copied from another WHT forum and I hope that is ok-HR
    Last edited by hollywoodrep; 05-02-2005 at 05:58 PM.

does it have to be a stand alone program or can it run on a brower over the internet? If they will allow you to run it over the net, then let me know and I can make it for you. :-)

filemaker pro is great.

an alternative for you is to use excel :-)

pm if you are interested.
    Developer, SysAdmin & Online Marketing Fanatic

Come to MosaicMercantile.com for all of your Mosaic Tile supplies.
    For all of you that need help getting started here is a Mosaic Tile cutting basics tutorial.

Hi,

The database is just 1 part of the system, you also need to specify what your business rules are for the data.

I'm presuming you're going to want to report against the data, maintain it and given that you are publishing, I'm therefore guessing that you want to use it for billing (or at least use as reference data for your billing).

You're going to need to work with a developer at a business requirements level, before you start getting into decision as to whether it's FileMaker, MySQL, MS-SQL etc...

If you'd like a formal quote or any futher assistance, please feel free to contact me.

Hi. Phpdevrus- no. there is some sensitive information that I don't want accessed by the internet. Thank you, though.

Monaghan- I was really trying to find something that was already made to fit with another like Filemaker pro.

Thank You.

I used to work with FileMaker and I'm sure they used to have links to 3rd party offerings that would run on top of filemaker (a sort of market place for filemaker developers) from their site.

You may find something if you Google a bit, I'd start on the FileMaker site and see if there's anything available.

I'd offer to do something, but my copy of FileMaker is very out of date and beyond the official upgrade process and I've no justification for buying an update (unless I charged you a stupid fee )

what if I got a programmer?

Ok. Now I need to know what kind of information I need in order to get a quote from someone who could make this database. Who do I ask?

Originally posted by monaghan
    As I suggested, try looking at the filemaker site

http://www.filemaker.com/solutions/f...nsultants.html
    Thanks again Alex- hmmm I was there this morning about 5 am-but it seems that there are a few new ones. You must think I'm a dip. Checking out Angel City...Thanks!!

Originally posted by hollywoodrep
    Thanks again Alex- hmmm I was there this morning about 5 am-but it seems that there are a few new ones. You must think I'm a dip. Checking out Angel City...Thanks!!
    Good News- the guy I called this morning just happens to have done all the database/que sheets for one of the TV shows I write for..

Small world.

Thanks to all for your help-

and Monaghan.... You're an angel