Cheapish Mambo hosting

Hello, im having trouble finding hosting for a website i want to create. The sites is going to be an entertainment site, using mambo as this is what i am used to. Its going to be fairly bandwidth heavy as ill be hosting videos and games so i need fairly cheap bandwidth.

Im looking at <$10 a month to start with, at least a gig of space, 40gig transfer for that price, multiple sql dbases a bonus.

The site also needs room to grow, most shared hosts ive come accross do up to a max of 80 gig transfer a month, eventually i hope to use more than this, so the host needs to ahve the option of more at a decent price.

Also ive been reading these forums and have heard that cheap hosts have trouble with sql sites with lots of traffic. I have a site hosted with lunarpages which has recently been getting 15-20000 sql page views a day, so far no problem but im worried about getting an email. I would get another lunar account if it werent for this fear.

Netpivotal in the uk (where i am) looks great for the price (2 gig of space, 80gig transfer, 5 sql db's) but i dont know if i can trust them if the site gets busy and i dont know how they are with mambo. Has anyone else had any experience with them? (i read manyies comments regarding them but i need to know about sql and mambo)

If not netpivotal does anyone have any advice for reliable and affordable hosting with mambo support anywhere in the world...?

Thanks

Try HostGator maybe?

Baby Package: $9.95 - 5 gb space , 75,000 MB bandwidth
    Webair Internet Development Inc.
    Shared Hosting • Managed Dedicated Servers • SEO
    1.866.WEBAIR.1 • www.webair.com • 24/7/365 Support • Adult Friendly
    My comments do not reflect the views of the company or its management.

They look reasonable, good room to upgrade. But they dont have any mention of mambo on the site, and it doesnt see to be in the scripts library, i may just be being picky though as i can install it manually.

Has anyone else had any experience with hostgator?

Mambo is very easy to install manually.

As for experience, click on search at the top of WHT and search around for some HostGator reviews.

Good Luck.
    Webair Internet Development Inc.
    Shared Hosting • Managed Dedicated Servers • SEO
    1.866.WEBAIR.1 • www.webair.com • 24/7/365 Support • Adult Friendly
    My comments do not reflect the views of the company or its management.

I have seen PostNuke/Wordpress etc working fine on HostGator servers..

And Ijust checked.. mambo 4.5.2.1 is there in the fantastico in HostGator cPanel..
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

I would try http://www.diyhosting.ca they are a very good mambo hosting provider i believe Ryan the man who runs it is very active in mambo forums.

mambo is included in fantastico and I see hostgator offers it.
    Eleven2 Web Hosting - World-Wide Hosting, Done Right!

mambo is also included in installatron/directadmin.

Im looking at <$10 a month to start with, at least a gig of space, 40gig transfer for that price, multiple sql dbases a bonus.
    This will be an issue for true application hosting

Also ive been reading these forums and have heard that cheap hosts have trouble with sql sites with lots of traffic. I have a site hosted with lunarpages which has recently been getting 15-20000 sql page views a day, so far no problem but im worried about getting an email. I would get another lunar account if it werent for this fear.
    This is a legitimate concern with DB application hosting. All these offers of lots of bandwith for under $10 will not accomodate this requirement - as you will most certainly receive one of these emails long before hitting your "purchased" resource limits...

If you actually expect your mambo CMS site to hit 80 GB of traffic, I would start planning revenue streams on your site from now. If you are pushing 80 GB on a mambo site (or almost any other DB site) - you will want a dedicated server. Not many shared environments are set up to handle the loads associated with this sort of utilization on a data base application -

Additionally, please do not load mambo from an auto-installer like fantastico - take the 5-10 mins required and load it manually (most hosts will do this for you) - this will save you ALOT of headaches in the future.. The mambo forums are full of issues associated with auto-installers...
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

So is there host which you would recommend which can handle the extra sql load until ive got the traffic/revenue to warrant a dedicated server?

Also would you say mambo is particularly resource intensive?

Thanks for all the help btw, this forums great and Hostgator look really good for all the features you get, particualrly unlimited sql dbs and unlimited domain parkings..unlimited sites.

http://www.diyhosting.ca I am sorry but I think they wouold be the best for mambo, he is very into it and will help you all the way and does telephone support and just generaly a mambo geek :p

Originally posted by spoo
    So is there host which you would recommend which can handle the extra sql load until ive got the traffic/revenue to warrant a dedicated server?

Also would you say mambo is particularly resource intensive?

Thanks for all the help btw, this forums great and Hostgator look really good for all the features you get, particualrly unlimited sql dbs and unlimited domain parkings..unlimited sites.
    You may be able to work out a deal with a host so they can put you on an idle server. Personally, I would like into some ways of increasing your revenue so you can look into a VPS for your popular site.

Cheers
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Mambo is very resource non-intensive. I would also recommend not using any auto-installers, they seem to use more resources than manual installs.
    Doyle Lewis
    BuyHTTP Internet Services - In business since 2003
    Business Hosting | nginx, CloudLinux, Varnish cache, and CDP with every business account
    Shared, Reseller, Semi Dedicated, VPS, Cloud, Dedicated - We can grow with you

http://www.diyhosting.ca I am sorry but I think they wouold be the best for mambo, he is very into it and will help you all the way and does telephone support and just generaly a mambo geek :p
    I wouldnt recommend anyone thats basically squatting on an established name (with a different extension) - though, thats just me...

www.diyhosting.com is a pretty established company - not sure if theres actually anything wrong with what diyhosting.ca is doing - but personally, I dont like it...
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

I'd suggest doing a search on any web hosting provider before you decide to sign up. I remember seeing this post a few days ago

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=399091

Seemed it ended ok, but the post above deals with an aspect of mambo.
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / "Automate. Grow. Repeat"
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / A KEAP Certified Developer (KCD)

spoo,

I think you would be safe staying with Lunarpages. You should be more than safe if you are fine now
    I like to help

Netpivotal in the uk (where i am) looks great for the price
    Doesnt look like they are currently a Lunarpages client...

Originally posted by Maximiliam
    spoo,

I think you would be safe staying with Lunarpages. You should be more than safe if you are fine now
    www.cartika.com

Originally posted by CartikaHosting
    Additionally, please do not load mambo from an auto-installer like fantastico - take the 5-10 mins required and load it manually (most hosts will do this for you) - this will save you ALOT of headaches in the future.. The mambo forums are full of issues associated with auto-installers...
    Fantastico makes a standard installation of any script. In some cases the problems you have will be less with Fantastico than when manually installing. Example: For "Gallery" installation, the admin pre-fills out the path to netpbm and the user doesn't have to scratch the head while thinking "what the heck is netpbm". Also we have tried to resolve any issues arising from phpsuexec being installed. Note: No script I have ever installed could handle this or even discussed phpsuexec environment.

All forums are full of issues with autoinstallers because people tend to associate any problems with the autoinstaller used. If you make a real research, you will find more issues with a manual installation than with a Fantastico installation.

Originally posted by keliix06
    I would also recommend not using any auto-installers, they seem to use more resources than manual installs.
    Please be more specific how an auto-installed version of Mambo can use more resources?

kosmo
    http://netenberg.com/
    AccountLab Plus Affordable professional webhosting billing -- Click Be! Building websites as easy as it click be
    Fantastico De Luxe - Install your favourite scripts at a mouse click -- Universina - The CPanel skin with Heart and Soul

Originally posted by kosmo

Please be more specific how an auto-installed version of Mambo can use more resources?
    I agree, I highly doubt that auto-installers will impact resource utilization - unless of course - the hosts do not have all their scripts up to date in the auto-installer - which of course is always the issue...

How many sripts does fantastico auto-install? What is the likelihood of any host being able to keep all of these scripts updated properly? - conversely, how many scripts are being installed every day by these auto-installers that are out of date with known security holes?

phpBB was the most glaring example of this - as 1000's of new boards have been defaced and 100's of servers have been compromised because of people using auto-installers with hosts who havent properly upgraded their script library -
    www.cartika.com

Well, I have lost count (How many sripts does fantastico auto-install)

Once all my websites got defaced because I ignored a warning for a vulnerable kernel version. Another time through a phpBB security hole for which there was a warning and I didn't manage to update in time. I can't blame anyone else (except me).

You can blame Ford and Cadillac for people being killed on the road but are they really responsible or is it the driver?

kosmo
    http://netenberg.com/
    AccountLab Plus Affordable professional webhosting billing -- Click Be! Building websites as easy as it click be
    Fantastico De Luxe - Install your favourite scripts at a mouse click -- Universina - The CPanel skin with Heart and Soul

My servers run hundreds of installs of Mambo. This just comes from perception. Those that we install manually seem to run more smoothly. And yes we keep Fantastico up to date.
    Doyle Lewis
    BuyHTTP Internet Services - In business since 2003
    Business Hosting | nginx, CloudLinux, Varnish cache, and CDP with every business account
    Shared, Reseller, Semi Dedicated, VPS, Cloud, Dedicated - We can grow with you