Spam from www-goto

In the last few days I have been receiving several emails from "web's biggest directory" (www-goto.com) asking the domain owner to "update" their "free" listing. Several of our customers have also received these emails and asked us about them.

Just wanted to forewarn everyone, because I am pretty sure these are unsolicited emails and they are a little tricky for novice web site owners. They draw the person in on the first page to "update the listing" and then a series of questionable "options" appear on the next steps. One is a subscription to some sort of list, and the rest are all some type of paid services. I attempted this on one of my domains to test it, rejecting to select any list subscription or paid service. I then received another email reply stating my "listing has been updated" but please click the "update ok" link to proceed.

I am quite wary of the "update ok" link and am almost certain this type of thing would subscribe the domain owner to somethig they don't want. So forewarn your customers/domain owners.
    JC, www.webii.net
    Premium Hosting Services Since 1996
    Custom Development- www.webxess.net

Traceroute on www-goto.com (which is not the same as goto.com) shows DNS of 202.14.69.2. 202.14.69.2 is registered with APNIC:

inetnum: 202.14.69.0 - 202.14.69.255
    netname: MADGENSITES
    descr: Madgen Solutions Pvt. Ltd. provides collocation services, shared
    descr: hosting services, private servers hosting, mailing solutions and
    descr: mailservers and is located in Malviya Nagar, New Delhi, India
    admin-c: HM339-AP
    tech-c: HM339-AP
    remarks: send all spam and abuse reports to [email protected]

Same here. been getting a lot of unsolicited mail also from them. Major pain.
    http://www.95degrees.com - Web Design
    Domains For Sale
    PixelGurus.com | PHPSecrets.com | ShakeHand.com | HireDeveloper.com | Recruitable.com...

Traceroute shows they're still at 202.14.69.2 hosted by madgen.com.
    Since that is obviously an unscrupulous host, you may want to include complaint to their upstream estelcom.com

I have been getting tons of "update your listing" mails from different so called webdirectories, this is spam and should be ignored.

Every domain I registered and added on my server has been receiving junk from goto directory for almost a year now !!

Im not sure how they are harvesting the e-mails or the data, because they seem to be including genuine headers and meta information from other search companies, but are sending the 'renewals' out to generic e-mail addresses.

I've found headers and meta information in the e-mails from them which is identical with info I have given on genuine search engines, but the e-mails are the problem, which usually always are addressed to [email protected] .

Obviously the way to reduce such spam is NOT to use a 'catch-all' system for your mailbox, but use named mail accounts instead, and then set your mail to bounce everything that is not sent to a named account. When naming your accounts, try NOT to use the common generic terms like info, sales, webmaster, customerservice, etc ., but use less obvious terms.

I have found that this reduces spam !!

My whois data is privacy protected. I do not receive these spams.

When I had combined registry and hosting through Yahoo every domain had a core address of [email protected] which forwarded to the Yahoo address. You could create and destroy other addresses, but admin was not disposible. So if a spammer decided to use admin, there was no getting away from the spam. Yahoo would normally put it into the Bulk folder, but it would never be a spam-free account again.