FTP slow and crashing on Raq 550

Does anyone want to hazard a guess why the FTP server keeps crashing and is very sloooow to connect? I have had this issue on 2 of my 550's (each in different server centers) and it baffles me!

After crashing it restarts and is OK 15 minutes later???

Does anyone else have a similar experience with this?

Most recent patch involving FTP is
    RaQ550-All-Security-0.0.1-1-16717 1.0 Proftpd Security Update

Any ideas???

Isn't it a local problem (like firewall)?
    You can turn of the reverse hostname option in de config file of proftp
    Let Internet Do Business

I am having this exact same problem. My problem has excalated to a point where the FTP server may not be available for 30-60 minutes at a time.

Any suggestions would be helpful. I can't wait to get away from this pathetic Sun machine.

Firstly, how much load is this RaQ handling?
    And how was it configured in the first place?
    Was it a clea reload or did you take from someone and picked off from there?

You may want to check yout logs at ( /var/log ) to see why it is shutting down on you.
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

Which Log?
    This is the greatest life I have ever know!

-=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

It sounds plausible that by "turning of the reverse hostname option in de config file of proftp" might be possible.

is that located in the root /etc dir?

How do I open and edit the file? I have tried with emacs with no luck.

Maybe my reply comes a bit too late, but I accidently read about this problem recently in an old Sun support document: They indeed recommend to disable ident lookups and reverse DNS to speed up ftp connections.

This is done by adding the following lines to your /etc/proftpd.conf file:

IdentLookups off
    UseReverseDNS off

I'm not sure whether or not it is required to reboot the RaQ to make the changes being taken over. Anyway, you should do so to be sure :-)

As always, you may want to create a backup copy of the original file or mark the made modifications so in case of problems you can restore the previous version of that file.

By the way, the Sun doc is at
    SunnyScript (CGI scripts, custom software development) -
    STAR ENTERPRISE (Internet and Business Services) -

Tobi is CORRECT!

Thanks Tobi! That is exactly what was the problem. I solved it quite some time ago but for all who find this thread with the same problem do the edit to your ftp config file and you will see a dramatic decrease in connect times. (Some clients would even time out, very frustrating!)