Howto: The Perfect Setup - Debian Sarge (3.1)

I have written a detailed description about the steps to be taken to setup a Debian based server (Debian Sarge alias Debian 3.1) that offers all services needed by ISPs and hosters (web server (SSL-capable), mail server (with SMTP-AUTH and TLS!), DNS server, FTP server, MySQL server, POP3/POP3s/IMAP/IMAPs, Quota, Firewall, etc.).

Surrey, UK
    WOW. You have taken alot of time compiling that how to - PROPS!

Great choice of mail server, i love postfix.

To make it even better, perhaps you want to include a gld-setup in postfix, to prevent spam and email-viruses. There is a ready to install gld package that you can install with apt-get, and then manually hook up into I have found that this kills over 95% of all spam, with a very low false positive rate. Combined with spamassassin its been weeks since i got a single spam, down from about 30 a day...No false positives as far as i know.

Also install ide-smart and set up a cron job to automatically send mail to somebody if a disk is about to fail. Its not 100%, but its better than nothing there.

The list can go on and on as far as i'm concerned, so include what you think is worth while . Good job!

Australia (Crikey)
    Thank you very much for this excellent review. I will be using it to setup a hobby server on my home network.