Domain Contender.?

So I missed the expiration of one of my domains ( my own name, FirstnameSecondname.com ), sadly enough, and I hoped to be able to re-register it, after it finally gets / got dropped.. But, it seems Domain Contender was faster.. Does anybody know something about Domain Contender.? There is no related site, no info, details.. Nada.. Thank you..
    ( Strange thing is, that when I do a whois, at whois.sc, it states, Domain is available.? But every other site marked it as taken.? )

Re: Domain Contender.?

Originally posted by formlos

( Strange thing is, that when I do a whois, at whois.sc, it states, Domain is available.? But every other site marked it as taken.? )

whois.sc is using cached whois data, never rely on it for availability, just use it as guideline.

I don't know about DomainContender, this is registrar?
    Cheap Domain Registration and Web Site Hosting - CatalystDomains

So, is there any reliable, public WhoIs out there.?

According to whois.sc.:
    ICANN Registrar: DOMAIN CONTENDER, LLC

It seems they ( Domain Contender ) are somehow related to Kenyatech / Kentech and DirectNic..
    ( Now my ex - domain is redirecting to a listing / subfolder at kenyatech.com.. Damn.. Got me, Domain Contender, whoever you may be.. )

So, is there any reliable, public WhoIs out there.?

Check availability on some registrar, only registrars have realtime availability checking. Whois lags some 24hrs, don't rely on whois for availability.

DomainContender probably catches dropped domains for some backorder service, maybe someone else here knows for which one, if it is for snapnames or pool you may have a chance to bid on it, if not, you are out of luck.

They are a drop registrar, probably working for pool
    Domain Maven

Try whois.sc but I think it will not be easy to get back your domain name.

Regards
    D.
    DawHB.com - Web Hosting Blog | VPSHostDir.com - VPS Hosting Media

Its now registred to 'Kentech, Inc.', but why would they be interested in obtaining a 'personal' name domain name.?
    http://sounds.wavcentral.com/movies/monty/bastards.mp3

as per http://www.whois-search.com/deleting/who.php
    domaincontender.com - NOLDC.com

what BO company you used?
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Its now registred to 'Kentech, Inc.', but why would they be interested in obtaining a 'personal' name domain name.?
    Maybe there is one other person with the same first and last name combination? I bet there are lot more than one, since the name is so sought for.

Maybe Kentech is waiting for you to become famous so they can put up naked baby pictures of you.
    You may delay, but time will not. --- Benjamin Franklin

Well, I did not use a BO company, Bashar, because who would have thought that that would be a domain worth snapping.?
    ( I know, it may be my own fault, but the domain was unused before I registered it in 2003.. So.. Nobody else wanted it before, thats why I did not even try to backorder and snap it.. Its sad, but I dont think that I would buy it back, from them.. )

if you built up links and traffic... it is worth something and you can email the new owner to try and buy it back or wait for them to let it drop.
    Kevin Ohashi - Founder of ReviewSignal.com - Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Check out my 2021 WordPress Hosting Performance Benchmarks, the most comprehensive look at WP hosting performance

Re: Domain Contender.?

... and I hoped to be able to re-register it, after it finally gets / got dropped.. But, ...
    Moral of the story: never wait till it drops ... even with names that you THOUGHT were only special to you, they aren't.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Okay this is only my second posting here, both related to Domain Contender. Now, feel free to PM me or contact me about these guys. Really, I'm somewhat new to the legalities of cyber squatting so I'm sure someone could flame me for my apparent ignorance on the issue. I don't see the "right" of some company buying domain names, only to force an auction/bid to acquire them. I realize the cyber squatting legislation was passed about trademark cybersquatting. Perhaps that law is out of date? My gut tells me that the practice such as Domain Contender is wrong/illegal. The internet should never be bought out such as this and perhaps it's time for this practice to stop. Lets imagine the worst case scenario of a $$$ company that could register every possible phrase out there that hasn't been taken. Then, then could provide you with an email address to contact them about bidding for the use of the name. This is the expanded but realistic situation that has occured to a lesser extent. Same principle. Sounds wrong to me, how about you? I'm not a sheep but we are sure sounding like a bunch of sheep. Either that or we sound like individuals with our heads in the sand.

Originally posted by ge master
    I'm sure someone could flame me for my apparent ignorance on the issue. I don't see the "right" of some company buying domain names, only to force an auction/bid to acquire them.
    Think of it in terms of real estate. Canadian investors are buying large plots of land in Phoenix, Arizona. The land sits there undeveloped and unused because the Canadian investors are hoping that in the future the land will be worth more. Is this fair?

Sure it is. It's what makes the free market system work. The Canadian investors (just like Domain Contender) is taking the risk that the land (or domain name) will be worth more in the furture.

Yes, there are cybersquatting laws that protect companies from losing their trademarks. So, if your business name/domain name is valuable, then you should take the extra step (and expense) of registering the trademark in your at least your home country. In the United States, that would be with the Patent and Trademark Office www.USPTO.gov .

Yes there are common law trademark rights, but you would have to prove your case in a UDRP resolution process. If the domain name is not valuable enough to pay the legal expenses to fight for it, then learn from the loss, choose another domain name and move on.

BTW, welcome to the forum
    You may delay, but time will not. --- Benjamin Franklin

Well whole buying of land example is weak in my opinion. I really have trouble with the concept that a phrase or name has value or is a commodity like land. Do you believe that? Sure a domain name has value but what kind of value? I can't take that domain name and plant a flower in it, decorate my house with it. It's nothing actually. It's just a word or phrase which is only worth as much as you force someone to pay for it.

The problem is, the internet is new territory for law. I see the issue and I also feel the illegal practice. I'm guessing that if I name a website in my name, that Domain Contender types could buy it and then allow me to bid to use it? Afterall I'm not a trademark company. Much too simplistic an example I'm sure but you get my drift.

You will NEVER convince me that it's ethical/legal to possess a domain name simply for trafficking purposes. Afterall, who gave you (Domain Contender types) the right to play god? I hope laws change so that domain names held for the sole purpose of trafficking becomes history. Yes, I would smile seeing some of you guys going bankrupt. Laws should be drafted to prove to you that you have NO RIGHT TO HOLD A GUN TO ANYONES HEAD. A name of phrase remember, that's your "so called" business platform. Wow.