* A 13 year old just posted in my forum...

Hi

I run a mental heath support site. Not really much else to say about it other than the fact that a new member just signed up about an hour ago and in his post stated that he was 13 years old. While his post was very mature and sincere and he even seems like a nice person, I am concerned about this since I don't have a COPPA agreement in my signup form. How critical is this?. Should I respond to his post or delete the account?. Are there any legal issues I need to be concerned about or anything I should be aware of?. What a shame it is that I should even have ask such questions but in this day and age...

Someone needs help and I should be able to be HUMAN and help them rather than worry about all kinds of legal pitfalls. What have we become as a society when you have to be afraid to just be nice or help someone? .

- Anyway, Thank's
    Last edited by anxietyzone; 05-02-2005 at 01:24 AM.

I think you're Ok. The law only seems applicable to those under 13:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/coppa.htm
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

I wouldn't worry about it. Aslong as they are 13 or over, you should be fine.

Your a lifesaver - thank's!. I read that and my site is in no way "child oriented" nor do I collect any information (outside of the cookie that is installed when they use the forum). Now if they start adding all kinds of stuff to their profile...I don't know. Looks like I'm pretty safe although I might hammer out a disclaimer to cover me on this just in case.

Thank's again

I wouldn't worry either... many kids lie about their age online and most do not abide by the COPPA.
    Kerry Jones

That's so true. Might be a 10 year old posing as a 13 year old just so he could get in since the reg agreement states that you must be at least 13 years of age. Who knows...

I was 12 when I first joined a forum without anyone permision.
    I have lied a lot about my age online.

*Please don't trust on anyone online*
    I'm Zafar Ahmed.
    I provide
    SEO Services & eMarketing consultancy
    I'll be glad to hear from you

you would be amazed of all the things kids do online
    and there is alot of young sellers on ebay to..

I remember when I used to add 10 years to my age

D1esel- high five =]
    www.Yekaroo.com - Your Chinese Radio Online!

I see others act more mature than 40 year old

Alot of 13 or younger year olds lie about their age to register, so the internet police aren't going to be busting down your door :p If it bothers you that much, contact the member and ask for written permission from their parent/gaurdian. But by the looks of things, it doesn't really matter

ever surf websites like the webblog sites and profile sites , always I see and/or hear about a person admitting in their profile they lied about their age.

and yes, I've talked with people online, never asking their age. They acted very mature and intelligent, one day get curious, ask, they are 8 or 10. I have cousins that age that do the same thing online.
    parents cant do much.

Originally posted by Kerry Jones
    I wouldn't worry either... many kids lie about their age online and most do not abide by the COPPA.
    Ever since I setup COPPA on my forums, I've noticed that they will sign up with that, then in 3 days (email verification) they will re-sign up as older. Usually same user id/same email address.

There is no true way to keep a steady watch over how old someone is, that signs up on your forums. Too easy to lie about their age.
    Happily hosting @ Dathorn.com (Since 3/2003), Ispeeds.net (Since 2004), & Quadspeedi.net (Since 7/2005)!
    Hosted @ FDC for 9 Years

I have complained -- sometimes admittedly bitterly -- about the natural (and logically understandable, as a general stereotype) intolerance towards those of younger age. In fact, this feeling actually resulted from the fact that I lied about my age a couple years ago when subscribing to a game community; from then on, people knew me as a married 26-year-old. Is that a "loser" thing to do? Probably, in the eyes of most. However, take into account the very sense of confusion, loneliness, and sense of despair that so often kids, pre-adolescents, and (especially) adolescents experience in their daily lives. Although at the time I did not feel especially depressed or hopeless about things, I realize now that lying about my life was an escape from the real life that I was not enjoying as much as this "virtual reality".

Although contrary to human nature, I will strongly reiterate my belief that we should try our hardest not to take into account the age of someone so much as their maturity, intelligence, and, probably most of all, their insight into and opinions on the topic at hand.

I have alot kids members of age 11 on my forum, I feel bad banning them and delete his/her account (it sound nasty).

Shall I delete her/his account?
    Quote, "Google is your best friend!"

It is amazing how some of them are so mature and articulate. I remember many years ago how I made a freind on GAIM and talked to this person for almost a year and was shocked later to discover that she was only 12 years old. Needless to say, I quickly distanced myself and moved on. Anyway, thank's for easing my mind a bit

Yeah, all of my sub-13 members fax me over their parents consent of the COPPA agreement all the time
    Shawn R. Lockheart

I bet you that most of WHY users are under 13 :p

jkin..

As long as they state they are of legal age (when signing up they do), you are not held liable..

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...