Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walking

sorry, but i'm no soldier. i'm probably the type to invent weapons for soldiers to kill or use those computers to kill.
    Kerry Jones

One of the easier things to do to lose weight is to cut out soda. I am a soda addict, but I forced myself to find alternatives. Propel water is an excellent alternative and has only 10 calories per 8-oz serving. I buy Propel by the case at Costco. Some people like Fruit2O better, but I find it has an overly syrupy taste. Anyway, I go through 4-6 17-oz bottles of Propel every day, and I've lost 10 pounds. I didn't change my exercise habits at all, either. Remember to drink water at restaurants too to get the full effect.

I also try to stick to 1200 calories a day or thereabouts. It's good to eat that in 3-4 meals of 300-400 calories each so your body doesn't kick itself into "stockpile" mode. I find that as long as I stay under 1600 calories a day that my weight will gradually tick down.

HTH!
    Erica Douglass, Founder, Simpli Hosting, Inc.
    »»» I founded Simpli Hosting, and sold it in 2007 to Silicon Valley Web Hosting after over 6 years in the business.
    Now I'm blogging at erica.biz!

Originally posted by Kerry Jones
    well, you get some mayo and some potato chips and poof, a potato chip sandwich. I can make things delicious even if i'm short on supplies.
    You've probably lost any health benefit your walk produced right there. Getting healthy is a 'life change', though anything to start is better than nothing I suppose.

No offense but I'm not sure you're ready to get healthy. The few threads you've posted in regarding a heathy change tend to have a lot of excuses, and not too much action.

While I'm sure you're on your way to making the change, I think some time thinking and preparing would be a wise idea.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Talking about sandwiches lately I've been making this tastey vegetarian sandwich:

-honey wheat bread
    -lettuce
    -sliced tomato
    -cucumbers
    -two different cheeses
    -yellow bell peppers on the side
    ... all seasoned with salt & pepper

It's damn good and low fat... well except the cheese but who cares. I haven't really eaten meat since watching those nasty slaughterhouse tapes. You should try it

Re: Re: Walking

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    Building my own home. Lost 13 kilos so far. 10 hour days with hard physical labor does the trick. [/B]
    That sounds a little too much like work!

Sandwiches....yep, I love those sandwiches with 4 different meats and 2 different cheeses. <Sigh> I guess that's why I can advertise as being a mega-sized host.

Seriously, I think I will start walking, too.

-Lamar
    Going out of business in our 10th year.

Kerry,

Great job. I lost about 50 lbs between my Junior and Senior years in High School about 20 years ago and have been able to keep it off since.

Some tips:
    1. Make sure you're wearing the right kind of shoes if you have a blister. Put some moleskin on the blister and it should help while walking.

2. Ensure you have an exercise routine that you can maintain. If you can commit to 1.5 hours a day then that's great but don't crash and burn. Set a reasonable goal on how much working out you have time/motivation for daily.

3. I started out running a mile a day and I lost 10 lbs over 6 monts. When I bumped it up to 3.5 miles a day, the lbs melted off. The primary reason was the time in aerobic activity. If you keep your activity level up for 30-45 minute workout you get the benefit of increased metabolism for the rest of the day.

4. Become obsessive about exercise. I don't want to overstate the case here but I literally WILL NOT miss a day of exercise. I have run in -30 degree wind chills and I have gotten up at 3 am to work out because that was the only time in a long day I'd be able to get it in. Extreme? Perhaps but excuse levels tend to decrease until you're not working out at all.

My $.02 for what it's worth.
    Rich
    Husband, Father, Retired Marine, Geek

Originally posted by akashik
    No offense but I'm not sure you're ready to get healthy. The few threads you've posted in regarding a heathy change tend to have a lot of excuses, and not too much action.
    I think I will start a thread on excuses.

-Lamar
    Going out of business in our 10th year.

I spend about 30 minutes a few days a week in a gym. But I guess I dont lose much weight, I jsut build a lot more muscle.

Drastic diets and heavy exercising to lose weight fast, from my experience don't work.

If you go on a diet whereby you don't eat as much as you're used to, only makes you real hungry and you tend to want to eat a lot again only to regain all the weight you lost and maybe even gain more.

Heavy exercising also makes you hungry and very thirsty. If you were overweight, chances are that you drank high-calories soft drinks.

Perhaps the best way to diet is slowly, even if it takes longer to achieve your goal. You won't feel as hungry and you won't be as tempted to eat again.

The first thing I did was to buy myself a scale. Two or three times a day, I weigh myself. It is a great motivational tool.

My goal is to lose at least 1/2 lb each week, If I see that I've not lost or that I've actually gained weight, I think of something that I could give up, or semething that I could eat less of.

I switched to 1 or 2% milk. I also don't drink coffee with sugar anymore. I use Splenda or Equal. For soft drinks, I did not go for the complete diet sodas. I went for the half-sugar/half-sweetener drinks such as Pepsi Edge or Coca-Cola C2. But, at the most I have a 1 1/2 glasses of soft drinks. I used to drink abut 3 or 4 glasses of full-sugar soft-drinks on a daily basis. Cut down on the cards; brads, cookies, crackers, donuts. Avoid pasta!

To top everything off, I don't eat the same amount of food on each meal. Maybe a couple of mouthfulls less of food per meal won't be missed so much.

I started my slow diet about 3 months ago and so far I've lost 19 pounds. I'm looking to lose about 40 lbs total.

Good luck on your diet, Kerry.

(You might also have better luck in your job search if you were to lose weight. Unfortunately, that's the way it is when you go on a job interview. Employers won't tell you about it, but appearance is the first thing they notice about you.)

Just eat less. Cut out any fizzy drinks full stop. Dont butter bread, dont eat mayo, only eat at meal times with maybe 2 snacks a day.

This is how I've lost 56lb in around 6-8 months. Thats with zero exercise and eating what I used to, just without all the crap. I work 7 days a week to, that helps.
    BTi-Hosting.co.uk High quality hosting, low low prices.
    One step ahead of the competition - Today IS tomorrow.
    FraudWise.Net - Fight the fraud!

As others mentioned dropping the sodas (or pops depending on where you are located) will help you A LOT and will make you feel 100x better.

I was a soda junky for a long long time and I admit it was like crack to me, I quite drinking soda totally for 6 months and only drank water and a lot of it and it feels great.

By drinking a ton of water from what I understand it washes away all the toxins in your body from all those little debbies and potatoe chip sandwiches

I would say drop the potato chip sandwiches and make a nice turkey and cheese with mustand and lettuce/tomato and you will be cutting out a ton of the fat+ cleaning out your system with water.

P.S. Diet or low carb soda does not do the trick you need to totally drop it.

Nothing beats a cold glass of orange juice with ice cubes.

Originally posted by DevilDog
    4. Become obsessive about exercise. I don't want to overstate the case here but I literally WILL NOT miss a day of exercise. I have run in -30 degree wind chills and I have gotten up at 3 am to work out because that was the only time in a long day I'd be able to get it in. Extreme? Perhaps but excuse levels tend to decrease until you're not working out at all.
    However extreme it may seem to some who are less familiar with the ability of the human mind to make excuses for every wrong and reason why one should not do something, this is absolutely great advice. Too often do we do what I mentioned above, and it is nothing atypical or unique to an individual: everyone does it! So, the real key is avoiding excuses, and the only way to do so is to make yourself do something in the same way every time. If you have an exercise regimen, always stick to it, even if this means you have to get up at 3 AM -- like DevilDog so well stated -- because you have a 6 AM flight to the Bahamas. As the Nike logo says, just do it.

Personally, I am not in dire need of weight loss, however I do not exercise nearly enough; typically, I come home every day from school, eat a sandwich and/or whatever else is lying around. The only time I really exercise during the week is on the weekend, when I play golf; I carry my bag and walk about six miles total. This is good exercise, but I really should do more.

By drinking a ton of water from what I understand it washes away all the toxins in your body from all those little debbies and potatoe chip sandwiche
    Actually, a few years back I took a pill that was suppose to clean the toxins out of your body. when I first took it nothing happen. In a hour my body started to feel hot as in heat. It was so hot that I had to jump in a tub of ice cold water and even then it was still hot. This was the effect of the drug to burn off toxins in your body.
    Kerry Jones

walking and water.

buy a filter, not filtered water.

:-P

Kerry, I'm getting confused. You either wear thick socks or no socks?
    For a given pair of shoes you should select a sock accordingly. Too thin might make the shoe feel loose or too thick might make the shoe feel tight. It is possible to use several pairs of thin socks to boost the thickness and to absorb friction between the layers.
    For walking much of a distance I would recommend against cotton socks. Cotton tends to cling to the skin when wet and cause chafing and blistering.
    When buying shoes, decide on your sock first and wear those socks to try on the shoes.

Re: Walking

Originally posted by Kerry Jones
    I just finished off the day with a 1 hour and 30 minute walk thus walking 3.51 miles and heading on home. In order to lose weight i'm going to keep doing this everyday and the same time!

what do you do to lose weight?

lose weight??? I need to gain weight... I don't exercise, and i'm still underweight...
    Who is General Fault, and why is he reading my disk?

Way to go, Kerry!

As for your questions..

**Keep walking! Suck up the blister, bandage it, strap on some socks and good shoes and get back out there.

**Watch the size of your portions! Most don't realize that they overeat.

**Give up the soda for plain, old healthy water.

Congratulations on starting your new routine. Keep it up!

Water isnt really all that good for you these days unless it comes from an area not contaminated by humans. I was watching a show on some california channel where they talked about the changes humans have made to our environment.

One guy was in this beutiful area where he studies these white whales (look like dolphins sort). The land and water was gorgeous where they hang out, but they are dying out due to cancer. All our modern testings say the water is clean, but it's not. It's poisoned by things we cant detect.

5 chemicals alone under your cabinet are all safe individually, till you mix them. With millions of people and industries flushing thousands of chemicals down the toilet and such, eventually that water ends up coming out of sinks and pipes as supposed clean water. Problem is, with so many chenmicals being mixed and forming other types of chemicals that we dont know about.... we are causing our own cancers. One of the ways water plants kill bacteria and other dangerous things in water to send back to your faucet is Chlorine. That is just another chemical added to our magical potions of millions of varieties of new chemical creations of our. Since we dont know the mixes, so cant test for it, even your bottled water isnt safe.

Are you sure you want to drink the water?

Originally posted by Webdude
    Water isnt really all that good for you these days unless it comes from an area not contaminated by humans. I was watching a show on some california channel where they talked about the changes humans have made to our environment.

One guy was in this beutiful area where he studies these white whales (look like dolphins sort). The land and water was gorgeous where they hang out, but they are dying out due to cancer. All our modern testings say the water is clean, but it's not. It's poisoned by things we cant detect.

5 chemicals alone under your cabinet are all safe individually, till you mix them. With millions of people and industries flushing thousands of chemicals down the toilet and such, eventually that water ends up coming out of sinks and pipes as supposed clean water. Problem is, with so many chenmicals being mixed and forming other types of chemicals that we dont know about.... we are causing our own cancers. One of the ways water plants kill bacteria and other dangerous things in water to send back to your faucet is Chlorine. That is just another chemical added to our magical potions of millions of varieties of new chemical creations of our. Since we dont know the mixes, so cant test for it, even your bottled water isnt safe.

Are you sure you want to drink the water?
    That's interest WebDude because I remember a major study that came out in 2002-2003 timeframe that said that drinking tap water was just as good for you as drinking all the filtered stuff. This wasn't a report put out by quacks either but was scientific literature.

I guess I'll die early because I drink right from the spigot!
    Rich
    Husband, Father, Retired Marine, Geek

Originally posted by DevilDog
    That's interest WebDude because I remember a major study that came out in 2002-2003 timeframe that said that drinking tap water was just as good for you as drinking all the filtered stuff. This wasn't a report put out by quacks either but was scientific literature.

I guess I'll die early because I drink right from the spigot!
    Yep, I dont think any of us have a choice no matter where our drinking water comes from. That being said, you can only test for and filter out things you know about..

I enjoy walking. I actually do it about 2 times per week if the weather is nice. Definately recommended!

HL

I am drinking beer, cause I don't like me thin
    I guess girls like more big guys than thin.

I heard a quote once that always motivates me when I hear myself starting to make excuses to not exercise:

"Not even the top athletes want to go exercise all the time."

A fitness buff friend also gave me a great tip - just take excercise in steps, if you have to. Don't want to exercise? Just put your T-shirt and jogging pants on so you're more comfortable. Well, since you're dressed, you may as well put your socks and shoes on. Etc etc..

I have always found that once I start excercising I'm fine and feel great during and after. Sometimes you really just need to kick yourself in your hindquarters to get moving

Food is one of the hardest areas to conquer in my experience. However, the easiest way to get around eating badly is by simply not buying junk and stockpiling fruits and veggies. If it isn't in the house, you can't eat it, right?

That being said, it's actually good to have a little junk food every now and then. Just be sensible - don't buy a 6 pack of candy bars or the Super Size bag of Ruffles.

I do weight watchers online, and it's the only program/diet that I can actually stick to. Maybe because the whole point aspect is so logical to me.
    <?php echo "Signature here"; ?>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12