best OS to use...

I hope alot of you saw my dedicated servers post...
    Now that I've picked out the company (layeredtech), which OS should I use? I was originally thinking about Fedora Core, but what about the others? I'm sortof new to linux (I can find my way around, but I'm much more comfortable with windows) and I need an OS that will be as easy to use as possible. I will also be using the Plesk control panel.
    Thanks,

CentOS which is similar to Red Hat Enterprise but free.

If you are more comfortable with Windows then go ahead and get Windows.

Choosing your server OS depends on your preference.

Plesk runs nicely on Windows, and may be a good choice if you aren't very in depth with linux.

Remember though, just because Windows has a nice GUI and works perfectly via remote desktop doesn't mean it's secure, you must keep your system up to date, secured and patched, if you don't have any experience in Windows Server management, I strongly suggest you hire someone else to do it for you.

Dan

I wanted to go with Linux becuase I have heard Linux is much more secure. I also have a Linux test server that I currently use, and Windows 2003 Server is too expensive for me to buy.
    Also, can't Plesk handle alot of server maintenance. I was under the impression that I could run a dedicated server through FTP and Plesk with a little bit of SSH (for updating and extracting files and for running command line processes).

Really, you should only use what you know best. I use a Linux distro, but that is what I'm most fluent in. Any OS is only as good as its admin.

Linux is only more secure because by default is has a lot fewer features to be exploited. Any OS requires good administration.

Think about it from the point of what you want to host, is Exchange/ASP/MsSQL important to you? Or perhaps PHP/MySQL?

Also, when hosting on Microsoft software you must use a "SPLA" license which you can obtain from your provider, you cannot host from an OEM license, which is more expensive option anyway.

Dan

PHP/MySQL is very important. Also, I might be hosting a game server and a teamspeak server. My websites are not (currently) important enough that a short amount (2-4 hours) of downtime would kill me or make me loose money. Also, I have a test server set up to be the same as the dedicated server I am going to buy... I just need an OS to put on it.
    I plan to tinker around with the test server for a month anyway before I go and buy a dedicated... just to get the hang of it.
    Also, about Windows. I have heard that Windows is a resource hog. I need to be able to get the most out of my server, I do not have unlimited funds, so being able to do more than one thing (website and game server) is very important.
    So CentOS is the Linux way to go?

Yup, I'd say CentOS will probably do better for what you want.

PHP/MySQL definately run better under a Linux environment, Windows isn't really a resource hog, it may be a little heavier memory wise because it runs a GUI 24/7 where linux doesn't, but apart from that there isn't much difference resource wise.

Last question:
    CentOS isn't supported by webmin (last I checked)... can you still use webmin for CentOS or is there another free control panel.
    Thanks alot guys, you have made this much easier for me.

Since CentOS is just a RedHat Enterprise Linux it would be supported that way.

I used webmin on CentOS (not in a production environment though) without any trouble.

I currently use webmin on centos, it works great. Just tell centos that you are using RedHat Ent X AS. Where X is the version of centos you have.

I noticed that Layered Tech offers 3 different version of CentOS:
    Which is the best? 3.4 and 4.0 are unsupported, but does anyone think that will change in the future?
    Thanks,

ahah, well I guess you have no other choice but to go 3.3. :p

I'd go with what's supported, as well...

is there a way to update from 3.3 to 3.4 (on a layeredtech server), or 3.4 to 4.0 when those 2 eventually get supported? I know other companies require a complete OS reload...

Sounds like a good question for your potential host. I'm unfamiliar with layeredtech..

FreeBSD is the only way to go.

Hello.

I have a server running with centos 3.4 and plesk (kinda the same what you want) but i have had BIG problems with plesk.. problems that are still not solved and can`t be solved if i must believe serveral forums.

The problems:

Install plesk after you installed centos 3.4 and everything runs fine BUT as soon as you want to update your system it will just stop because it doesn`t have the centos package but plesk DOES install packages that are supposed to be installed with yum install PACKAGENAME... and another bad thing is that after you TRIED to upgrade (whitch will fail) your server will be alot slower in everything!!!!

So i recomment this:
    take just centos 4.0 with the web, mysql and mail things. that will cost you less money and is better.

And for the administration take this:

Webmin
    Usermin (only if you want other users to login on your server)
    Virtualmin
    Filemanager (module avalible for webmin and usermin)

That`s also how i will reinstall my server. and i expect that it will be alot smoother than with centos 3.4 and plesk

PLEASE!!! don`t do plesk.. it ruins your OS!!! (my experience)

CentOS is your best option.