Local Hosting - How To Approach Businesses?

I'm looking to target the local market soon with my offerings and had a few questions.

My current idea is to go in, ask for owner/manager. Once they come out, how can I get their attention without having them feel like I'm soliciting?

How should I dress?
    Should I carry a folder with information? Maybe a laptop/tablet pc with examples?

I would assume that some type of literature to give to them talking about the service, options, etc. is needed.

I just don't want to walk in and give the feeling that I'm a door to door salesman soliciting. I truly feel I have something to offer that they can benefit from, not just something to bring me money.

Thanks
    Ankit Gupta - Cernax Hosting
    "We're always second in the industry, the customer comes first."

Well you want the person in charge/owner to feel like you are professional, and that the business is professional. So dress like a professional business person. Which is different depending where you live.

As well have a folder that you are willing to give to them (information just for them). Make them want to get hosting, because you have information that will make them think "this will help my business".

Tell them why it makes sense for them to get a hosting and why they should do it through you.

Send them a letter explaining to them why they need a website, and put a phone number on there so if they are interested they can contact you.
    This is a good approach for most businesses, but you may loose some misinformed businesses.
    Hostime Managed Hosting
    Opening the bridge between your business and the world.
    http://www.hostime.com

Or maybe call them in advance and book a meeting at their office. Could probably sound a little too telemarketingish though.

Maybe a letter and then follow up 4-5 days later with a phone call?

If you want to do walkins, dress up nice, and go to a shop, find something that might have some remote use for you(and is inexpensive) then buy it, as the owner is selling something to you, begin a conversation about taking his business online. You start off not as a salesman but a customer, that helps out alot

Originally posted by The_Overl
    Or maybe call them in advance and book a meeting at their office. Could probably sound a little too telemarketingish though.

Maybe a letter and then follow up 4-5 days later with a phone call?
    Yeah, I thought about phone calls, I don't have much experience with it so I don't think I'll be able to keep them interested for very long.

I'm thinking about giving some kind of information to them and following up a few days later.

Originally posted by IH-Ken
    If you want to do walkins, dress up nice, and go to a shop, find something that might have some remote use for you(and is inexpensive) then buy it, as the owner is selling something to you, begin a conversation about taking his business online. You start off not as a salesman but a customer, that helps out alot
    That's a good idea!

When I check out, what should I say to get the conversation going?

"Do you have a website for your store yet?"
    "No, we don't"
    "I can help you out with that aspect if you'd like, I currently help out __________ and ________"

Does that sound right?

Originally posted by Staedtler
    That's a good idea!

When I check out, what should I say to get the conversation going?

"Do you have a website for your store yet?"
    "No, we don't"
    "I can help you out with that aspect if you'd like, I currently help out __________ and ________"

Does that sound right?
    Keep one thing in mind, it hardly ever goes according to plan. Keep ideas like this, but you need to be able to generate and sway the conversation towards your point over time. Don't try to rush it if they look like they have time to spare.
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management Search Engine Optimization Pay Per Click Email Marketing

For local business, I usually send some nice literature in the mail, personalized to their business, and think up ideas of why this will help them. I also push how we are so local, they like that. Then I follow up with a phone call, and hopefully get to setup some type of meeting with them. I've even had owners sign up right over the phone. Make them feel at home with you. If you want to be successful, you have to make sure you can tailor your services to each clients needs.
    Neil McGeehan
    Reseller Web Hosting - At YouGotHosting, we provide affordable, reliable, dependable web hosting.
    Providing quality service since 2002

Originally posted by yghosting
    For local business, I usually send some nice literature in the mail, personalized to their business, and think up ideas of why this will help them. I also push how we are so local, they like that. Then I follow up with a phone call, and hopefully get to setup some type of meeting with them. I've even had owners sign up right over the phone. Make them feel at home with you. If you want to be successful, you have to make sure you can tailor your services to each clients needs.
    I assume I'll need a merchants account for this point of sale terminal? (correct term?)

I'm still deciding if I should mess with billing software initially, Excel will do the job for quite some time.

I know this isn't the e-commerce forum, but do you reccomend any specific merchant account provider? I want to be able to create recurring billing transactions by accepting orders over the phone.

As a gift shop owner (I have a bricks-and-mortar shop in a town of ~900 year-round residents) I just read and participated in this very topic at the Sellers Source forum at http://www.sellersource.net ... it's a register-to-view ditty (by all means, you're welcome to register) so I will put this particular thread up in a public section of the site to make it easier to view.

It's a Rep's Guide for How To (NOT) Approach A Shop sort of thing... in this case we are talking about sales reps coming in and approaching a new shop with products... but the principles are the exact same for anybody selling something. I have kicked more people out on their butts than I can count, for inviting themselves into my store and trying comandeer my day and my operation without an appointment. There's a way to do it, and a way not to do it. I think that the thread will give you guys a lot of valuable insight!

I'll post back in a sec. Need to go get that thing posted.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

Good information being passed around, nice thread
    Neil McGeehan
    Reseller Web Hosting - At YouGotHosting, we provide affordable, reliable, dependable web hosting.

bithost(NET), I look forward, sounds like the kind I could keep reading for house

Here you go!

http://www.sellersource.net/rep_coldcall.htm

Hope it helps ... lots of first-hand suggestions from the business owners themselves.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

Why the HELL do people do this????

Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 23:50:31 -0400
    To: <[email protected]>
    Subject: sellers source

Hi Karin, my name is Neil McGeehan, owner of YouGotHosting. I saw that
    you are hosted by DCN, and decided to check them out. I don't know if
    you have some type of sponsorship with them or not, but if you are
    interested at all in changing web hosts, I'd be more then glad to throw
    a package together that would tailor your needs. You could even try out
    my services free. My website is http://www.yougothosting.com but is
    currently being redesigned and filled with alot of new content, as we
    are in the process of making some big changes, good ones Thanks for
    your time, and I hope to hear from you.

Neil McGeehan
    Neil,

UCE sucks. Shame on you.

I am NOT interested in switching. I AM a host Neil, we have a couple dozen boxes spread between 3 different data centers, including Layered Tech. DCN is just one of our brands.

It is extremely frustrating to share helpful business information with people on WHT, and then have those same people come back and try to swipe my customers out from under me as thanks. Cut that **** out! Why should people bother to contribute if this is the payback??? If you're going to be a part of the community Neil, start acting like it.

Gol darn it this kind of crap ticks me off. Why do I even bother???

Bailey

Karin, I'm totally sorry. I didn't mean it as UCE. I usually shoot emails to people and see if they are interested in a sponsorship, they usually don't mind this...I didn't mean it as a greedy email looking for a sale. I hope you understand, and I will be more careful as to what I say in emails.

Sorry
    Neil McGeehan

That is pretty sad. yougothosting should get banned for a while for trying this kind of stunt.

... but is
    currently being redesigned and filled with alot of new content, ...
    BTW, if you're going to send these sort of "I am trying to steal you from your current host" emails, be sure to correct your spelling first.

"alot" is two words.

I wonder if Penn State knows you're sending "business" emails using their system?
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

Yes Yes Yes...I know I messed up, and I'm sorry. I wasn't looking for money though! I was seeing if they wanted FREE hosting, a sponsorship, as I said in the email. I won't send emails anymore. I'm SORRY.

I hope everyone understands my mistake. I hardly/never send emails to anyone about my service. And this one was apparently a large mistake, and I understand and regret it. IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN. I would be stupid to let it.

Once again, I am truly sorry for my misunderstanding of what I sent.
    Last edited by yghosting; 05-03-2005 at 02:14 AM.
    Neil McGeehan

Can we get back to the original point of this thread? I enjoyed it. And I know its my fault it went off track...I'm sorry once again.
    Neil McGeehan

Neil, I know it sucks getting caught, and I'm not without empathy. However I have carefully followed the rules of this board in the many years I have been here (this is my 3rd username) and feel pretty strongly that everyone else should play by those same rules too. That's what keeps it fair.

I could have trolled for thousands of such leads myself, (they're all over the place!) but I didn't. I kept my game clean. That's what I expect of other hosts here too.

I didn't report it to the mods, I don't think anybody needs to be banned, I think some pups simply need to learn what's right and what's not. This is a good example of behavior that is not OK at WHT.

If a person wants the honor of shooting out hosting prospect e-mails, cough up the $150+ for a 6-month WHT Host Quote deal. (Been there/done that, too) Even then, you only get to contact the people who request a quote first. No harvesting contacts off the threads and shooting out messages to folks you think might pay off.

Bailey

Thank you Karin, point taken, lesson learned
    Neil McGeehan