Question To Mac or Not to Mac.....That is the question

Hello,
    I am currently deciding between either a Mac or a PC for my next computer, which my dad will purchase for me before next summer. (Summer 2005) I currently have a Powermac G5 (1.8 GHz), and am considering the Sony Vaio RA (http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...seriesdesktops).

I am not sure whether I want to buy a PC, or just stick with my Mac, though. Here is how I see it.

What I primarily do on the computer:
    - Type essays
    - Play music (Almost 24/7)
    - Use AIM
    - Create websites (Dreamweaver, Golive)
    - MINOR graphic editing (Photoshop, Illustrator, Imageready, Flash, etc.)
    - Use the internet, nonstop

I'd like to have a top of the line computer, for either brand that I get, with the best speed available, and at least 1 GB of RAM. A nice video card is a plus, but not a necessity. (Preferrably, better than what I have now: GeForce FX 5200)

Benefits of PC:
    - New speakers
    - New screen included free (19", better than my 17")
    - Smaller box
    - Ability to support more games. I'm not a hardcore gamer, but for the few games that I play, I'd prefer not to have to wait for its compatibility on the Mac

Benefits of Mac:
    - Crisper/cleaner layout
    - Can't think of anything else, really

-----

PLEASE - I am not asking what's a better OS, I'm asking what do you think would be better for me, and for what I use on the computer?

If what you do works on a Mac, then I guess for doing that a Mac is okay. I think a PC is more versatile. Windows has more security vulnerabilities, but that's why I have mine partitioned to also run linux. I don't think you can do that with a Mac. SuSE had a Mac version, 7.3, but that is discontinued.

Definitely go for the mac.

The only problem could be websites, since you can't test how they look in IE. If that isn't a problem for you, I'd do mac.

It would be best for you since you'll be able to do exactly what you want without worrying about viruses, or compatibility of software/hardware. If I didn't swap parts of my PC so often, I'd go with a mac myself.

Originally posted by DanX
    Definitely go for the mac.

The only problem could be websites, since you can't test how they look in IE. If that isn't a problem for you, I'd do mac.

It would be best for you since you'll be able to do exactly what you want without worrying about viruses, or compatibility of software/hardware. If I didn't swap parts of my PC so often, I'd go with a mac myself.
    Marvelous bit of advertising for Mac I must say.

I would take DanX's advise and use what he is using a PC

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

Isn't Internet Explorer available for the Mac?

Anyway, I'd say if you can afford it, go with a Mac. Just be sure to get atleast 512 MB of RAM (or even more if you go with Tiger).

You don't have to worry about viruses or spyware, and there is an alternaltive to just about every Windows application for OS X.
    - Matt

Originally posted by Blankwire
    Isn't Internet Explorer available for the Mac?
    Yeah, but abandoned years ago at version 5 and not very useful these days.

Blankwire, it is, but I'm not sure how similar it is to the Windows version, and IIRC, Microsoft is dropping support for it.

TheDoctor, assuming it would be PC+Windows or Mac+..Mac, PC+Windows will need to run virus checkers and such on top of the programs he's using. If he's just doing casual internetting, why bother having to worry about viruses?

Leave that to people who are stuck with Windows.

Blankwire, it is, but I'm not sure how similar it is to the Windows version, and IIRC, Microsoft is dropping support for it.

TheDoctor, assuming it would be PC+Windows or Mac+..Mac, PC+Windows will need to run virus checkers and such on top of the programs he's using. If he's just doing casual internetting, why bother having to worry about viruses?

Leave that to people who are stuck with Windows.
    Yes it would be nice to get away from those threats, however you would be amazed at the amount of programs available on the net, that DON'T cater for Mac's, and the amount of Peripherals that don't cater for Mac's. I am not sure what it's like in other parts of the world but in my part of Australia it is virtually impossible to even find a retailer of Macs. We have 50 or 60 PC resellers and 1 reseller that has limited Macs. We havea computer swap meet once a month with more than 100 resellers coming up from Melbourne,that sells new and second hand computers and software but very very rarely will you ever see a Mac. The other thing you need to be aware of is a persons requirements tend to grow and expand as they get bettter computer equipment.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

Yes it would be nice to get away from those threats, however you would be amazed at the amount of programs available on the net, that DON'T cater for Mac's, and the amount of Peripherals that don't cater for Mac's. I am not sure what it's like in other parts of the world but in my part of Australia it is virtually impossible to even find a retailer of Macs. We have 50 or 60 PC resellers and 1 reseller that has limited Macs. We havea computer swap meet once a month with more than 100 resellers coming up from Melbourne,that sells new and second hand computers and software but very very rarely will you ever see a Mac. The other thing you need to be aware of is a persons requirements tend to grow and expand as they get bettter computer equipment.

Doc
    Hey, it isn't that bad in Tassie. There is one apple center right in town (Liverpool Street).

But seriously, I don't see why anyone would want a mac. They are more expensive, slower, and won't work with most of the things out there. Whereas with Windows, almost anything is plug and play.
    New site: www.talkutas.com

Originally posted by freak
    Hey, it isn't that bad in Tassie. There is one apple center right in town (Liverpool Street).

But seriously, I don't see why anyone would want a mac. They are more expensive, slower, and won't work with most of the things out there. Whereas with Windows, almost anything is plug and play.
    There use to be a cafe in Liverpool street up towards Harrington street that sold cooked Mutton Bird. Now I'm not sure what Mutton Bird has to do with Mac's but they do taste nice.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

They seem to run slower, is that just my opinion, or is that a fact?

mac is hard to figure out the system is totally different from windows

Speed isn't really an issue with general web surfing.

TheDoctor: I buy my PC parts online.

freak: illuzhen isn't paying for it, so I don't think that's an issue. Also, everything is plug and play--with drivers. Then when you reinstall because a virus wrecked your system, you're back to square one.

Sorry, I have a Mac (g5) now. I (before) had a Windows.. I like the mac design, but I feel windows is easier/faster to use.

Sorry, but even if im just surfing the web - I still want MSIE, AIM, and so fourth to load fast.. (So at least a 3.6GHz computer)... I know many of you think that may be a waste, because I can do just that on a lesser computer, but money is really no object that this point, since I'm not going to be the one paying for it, and my dad will let me get any one that I want. (Sorry if that sounded a bit bratty, I'm just trying to put a point that speed = good)

I think either could fit the bill for you..sorry. I know that's not the answer you're looking for. I have both and they each work, but for different reasons.

Originally posted by illuzhen777
    Sorry, I have a Mac (g5) now. I (before) had a Windows.. I like the mac design, but I feel windows is easier/faster to use.

Sorry, but even if im just surfing the web - I still want MSIE, AIM, and so fourth to load fast.. (So at least a 3.6GHz computer)... I know many of you think that may be a waste, because I can do just that on a lesser computer, but money is really no object that this point, since I'm not going to be the one paying for it, and my dad will let me get any one that I want. (Sorry if that sounded a bit bratty, I'm just trying to put a point that speed = good)
    Sounds like you just answered your own question.

If money is no object, maybe you can have a PC built that has a board to run the Mac OS along with Windows.

yeah probably.. i think i'll end up getting a sony vaio. i like my mac, it will move to another room, but the sony will be in mine.. my school now (and possible new school) runs on windows -- maybe windows is just a better option for me, unfortunatley.

i also hate word and every writing program on the mac, they run so slow... (you wont realize it unless you have had a pc) for example, if you bold text, there is a 3sec delay after it bolds -- and in windows, its immediate... its just little quirks that tick me off about macs..

Speed Security Reliablility... if you have any intrest in those, go with a mac(ok ok so windows has improved in the last few years...)

I use my computer in a similar way as you do, lots of media, bits of photo and site editing, and lots of browsing etc. Bought myself a iMac 2 years ago, haven't looked back
    SkyLineHost.com
    ▓ ▓ Shared hosting that soars above the competition
    ▓ ▓ ▓ Based in Los Angeles. sales@skylinehost.com

I would go with/for the mac anyday!

I'm going to agree with other users here. Go with a Mac!

G5 Mac or a Powerbook anyday...

if i have $$$ i think ill buy a Mac...
    www.DefyStudios.com ___Interactive Design

Just to clarify some things :

You can run Linux on a Mac (just find any distribution that has a release for PowerPC. YellowDog linux is specifically designed for Macs).

OSX is Unix based, so most Linux programs should run on it without any modification.

VirtualPC allows you to run any release of Windows inside a Mac, complete with advanced features, so you can run IE6 on a Mac, Microsoft Office, etc.

However, if you are a gamer then you should have a "play" computer that runs Windows (since most games are made for Windows). You really should be playing on consoles, and using computers as a tool -- but maybe I'm old fashioned.

I'm also considering a Mac laptop for my personal development use; although at the office I use a Windows PC.