An amazing offer from 1and1!

I just stumbled upon this offer today and, as far as i can tell, there are no strings attached (may be wrong).

It is a completely free test drive of their new SME website hosting package:

2.5GB Space
    20GB Bandwidth
    all the usual refinements

and above all - A COMPLETELY FREE DOMAIN NAME (.me.uk, .org.uk and .co.uk)

It appears to be only available to people in the UK as their system phones the number you registered with to initiate the package setup.

This is absolutely perfect for new ideas and inspirations and will help get young starts up and running (its ideal for an idea of my own).

Thanks for reading, here's the link: www.1and1.co.uk (click on "TEST DRIVE")

Thanks for reading

- Ricky

Do they let you transfer the domain away after the 6 months? And is that free?

Not a bad way to get people roped in because once they have a site up and running they're not going to want to give up on it. .uk domains are probably cheaper to give away than paying for a click on google adwords.
    Steve

i would agree - but even on the premise that this is no doubt a very clever marketing ploy - i will most likely pay to renew the contract after the 6 month as they have shown themselves to be of calibre.

It's weird, it's giving me this error "Area Code: Area prefix not allowed." even though I put area code in.

Never mind just saw it was for UK people only

Disregarding that this is free: I have been a past customer of 1&1 and registered a batch of domains at the same time there, for some reason- some domains could be pointed at nameservers, while others could not be modified at all. Their support not helpful in the situation either, kept saying that it was something wrong with my server, even though certain domains from that batch consistantly worked fine and others consistantly never worked on multiple servers.
    www.Yekaroo.com - Your Chinese Radio Online!

I have heard that 1and1's support is dubious.

However, in this instance, you can hardly moan at something which is free and actually costs them.

Originally posted by Oblivex
    However, in this instance, you can hardly moan at something which is free and actually costs them.
    People will though. When they first starting offering accounts in the US people would carry on about how poor support was, even when they were getting their accounts for free.

Ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Originally posted by akashik

Ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
    Soup Kitchens.

Originally posted by Camp2Win
    Soup Kitchens.
    Only free for the people eating

Exactly.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Originally posted by Diaga
    for some reason- some domains could be pointed at nameservers, while others could not be modified at all. Their support not helpful in the situation either
    Sorry for a 'me too' type post, but I have nothing positive to say about them. Have seen complaints on newsgroups about problems if one wants to transfer away.

The inability to change nameservers means that if you have alternative hosting, you cannot change the nameservers to use that hosting, at least not while the domain is still with 1and1. OK, so you have to start a transfer to another domain registration firm, which may require a fax to 1and1 (hmmmm, a problem if you like to run paperless yet have to print out their darn forms to sign and fax back) and then they take a few days, before the transfer is actioned...

So once they do accept the transfer will take place, they zap the domain from their servers, and your web and mail stops... so now you are part way through the transfer. Once it is with your new firm, you can then set the nameserver and get things working again, once servers pick up on the change having taken place.

I have only had domains with them, and transfers were a pain, but heaven knows what it would be like if the hosting was with them and your site went dead for a few days before you could make essential nameserver changes!

Incidentally, when I wanted to register some domains using my PO Box address, they claimed that was banned by Nominet.... It isn't, but just one of their policies, I guess, but why lie to a customer when it was obvious I could check direct with Nominet if I had needed (I didn't need to as I had already had papers from Nominet at my PO Box for some other domain). (NB Nominet is the UK registration authority.)