ecommerce with bank merchant acct

Question for the experts here:

As a webdesigner, I have a client who already has a merchant
    account with a bank (Legacy Bank in Texas). The client wants to
    process credit cards payment online using that bank merchant account.

If I go with something like CDGcommerce, CDG makes it's money
    establishing a CDG merchant account. How do I go about
    using some gateway with the client bank merchant account,
    not the CDG merchant account? Looks like EPN, authorize.net
    etc. are only available through resellers.

Any recommendations for this sceanario? Maybe someone like cdgcommerce or corybryant can throw some light...

Welcome to the forums raj43210

All she needs to do is contact her bank & ask them if they support an internet merchant account. And then have her ask them what electronic payment gateways are supported. That should get your answer.

Plus most banks actually use a merchant account provider to actually offer her the merchant account since most banks are not in that business. The bank though might be able to combine both account and offer her some type of a discount. Ask her to check that out as well.

What reason did your merchant give for wanting to use her merchant account with her current bank?

One thing for her to keep in mind is that she can readily maintain her bank account with Legacy Bank but have the merchant processing handled by another company. Most processors do not require you to have your bank account with any specific bank.

Additionally, in my experience, most banks are not very adept or well situated to handle Internet merchant processing. For a retail "bricks and mortar" type application like a retail store, restaurant, hair salon, hotel/motel - banks do just fine in most cases.

However, when it comes to Internet - I have never seen a bank who actually can readily support e-commerce or Internet applications... and as Corey mentioned, most of them outsource to a processor like FDR, Nova or another to handle their actual merchant processing.

In addition, it is important that your client know that there is a distinction between a conventional Retail (Card Present) and even some MOTO (Mail Order/Telephone Order) accounts.

Internet payment gateways typically support multiple processing networks and whoever Legacy Bank outsources or handles their processing through will need to be on a certified network supported by the gateway that you want to use.

In addition, they will need to be able to build a "front-end merchant file" configured for use with that gateway and provide the merchant with the necessary details that the gateway provider will need to know in order to activate the account.

There are a number of merchant processors that offer the gateway service on a standalone basis - you can check around with each one to see what available gateway options exist with them and what applicable pricing is.

Hope this info is helpful!
    CDGcommerce.com - Trusted Merchant Account Solutions since 1998
    Many thousands of successful, growing businesses benefit from our expertise every day. You can, too!
    We help merchants to eliminate gateway costs, reduce & mitigate fraud and achieve streamlined PCI compliance.
    Learn more today at http://www.cdgcommerce.com - we look forward to helping your business grow!

when I talked to bank of america, they pointed me to http://cybersource.com/, http://www.cybersource.com/bankofamerica/

Thanks corey and cdg

Guys, Thanks for the info... You guys sure are very responsive
    and prompt in this forum!!

I will followup with client and see what he wants to do.

cdgcommerce (chris) - this forum doesn't allow me to pm you.
    Says I am not authorized, even when i am logged in. Have a
    few questions about cdg reseller account. Any way I can IM you,
    what's a good time?

coreybryant - my IM to cdg does not mean your service is bad
    I am in the webhosting business and will sure look into all
    options. MA4L is priced lower than cdg, but cdg has a better
    reseller program (percentage of residual) !!

Hi Raj,

I would be happy to speak with you further over AIM or any other venue, I do not know if I can post my contact info here due to the forum TOS but you can locate it from our Web site. Thanks!
    CDGcommerce.com - Trusted Merchant Account Solutions since 1998
    Many thousands of successful, growing businesses benefit from our expertise every day. You can, too!
    We help merchants to eliminate gateway costs, reduce & mitigate fraud and achieve streamlined PCI compliance.
    Learn more today at http://www.cdgcommerce.com - we look forward to helping your business grow!

Basically - the differences between Chris and ourselves - Chris is an ISO and we are a reseller for an ISO (CSI).

(I hope that is in the TOS MODS)

And no harm - no foul raj43210

Re: Thanks corey and cdg

Originally posted by raj43210
    cdgcommerce (chris) - this forum doesn't allow me to pm you.
    Says I am not authorized, even when i am logged in. Have a
    few questions about cdg reseller account. Any way I can IM you,
    what's a good time?
    Hey Raj - normally I wouldn't know this, but since I just joined as well, I recently had occasion to go through the forum rules, where it says you need at least 5 posts before being able to use the PM feature.

HTH, Michael