Smile Newbie in Windows

Hello,

This is a real newbie question perhaps, I've been working on windows millenium for my life since my computer specs were too low...so now I wanted to use XP instead..good? I couldn't install XP from DOS and i figured that i cannot install like windows me e.g. from startup disk and dos mode. So now what? I saw 2 options..

First, upgrade..
    Second, clean install..but that won't remove windows me...

So I choosed upgrade..I have one operating system but what If I wanted to install windows XP as the only operating system on my computer without having to upgrade? (Clean Install).. and remember I don't want to have 2 operating systems on my PC too...

That may sound real newbie here but I don't know how to do it.
    Just for your note the XP version is Windows XP Pro v5.1 build 2600

Why wouldn't clean install remove Windows ME? That's exactly what it does unless I'm mistaken.

I really have no idea what the second part of your post is stating or asking.

you want to do Clean Installation. That will remove EVERYTHING. Make sure you do a backup of your data, it will then install XP fresh.

Clean install will not remove your old windows, it will keep all your progam files data and old windows directories, if you want a real clean install then backup your files and do an entire hard drive format, ofcourse make sure you have a bootable XP install CD, this is the best solution to startup with a clean system.

Otherwise you have to install XP with a new installation option, this will still be a clean install but your program files folder will keep the old windows programs, as for your old windows directory you can safely delete it once XP installation is done.
    RofyHost - Affordable Shared & Reseller Hosting Since 2003
    Proud Moroccan

Okay Insert your windows XP CD, Go into Bios and change the primary boot device to cd, follow on screen instructions to install xp, when it says there is another OS on the drive c:, It will say something like press f to reformat do this, this will clear all data from the pc continue installing and your sorted.

Originally posted by Naz.A
    Okay Insert your windows XP CD, Go into Bios and change the primary boot device to cd, follow on screen instructions to install xp, when it says there is another OS on the drive c:, It will say something like press f to reformat do this, this will clear all data from the pc continue installing and your sorted.
    don't forget to do a backup of your data before going with this
    RofyHost - Affordable Shared & Reseller Hosting Since 2003
    Proud Moroccan

Originally posted by Naz.A

That's what I'm asking about guys. The problem is that I didn't know how to boot from CD. that's all. so I think that will solve the problem.

Thanks Naz.A

I didn't only want a clean install but I also wanted to clean all Windows ME related files and directories.

Thank you!

My desktop computer came with Windows 98SE. I upgraded my RAM to 256MB and bought Windows XP Upgrade when it came out. It is much more stable. Ideally, after wiping out your old OS it should be possible to boot to the XP Upgrade CD and have it work. That doesn't always work. If it doesn't, you will need your old boot diskette to get it started. Fortunately having bought XP Upgrade when it was just coming out, Microsoft was more generous with phone support. You will need to have your original Windows ME CD and boot disk. Here are the instructions which I have saved to a text file:

(Note: Before reformatting your harddrive, it is a good idea to copy smartdrv.exe from your Windows 98 CD to your Windows 98 bootdisk.)

Starting Windows XP Setup from MS-DOS
    Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM in the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.

Start the computer to an MS-DOS prompt with CD-ROM support. If your computer does not have MS-DOS already installed, or does not allow you to choose to start to an MS-DOS prompt in the Boot menu, see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

Q187632 How to Create a Windows 98 Startup Disk that Supports FAT32
    Start SMARTDrive if it is not already started. To do this, change to the folder that contains the Smartdrv.exe file, type smartdrv, and then press ENTER. If you do not use SMARTDrive, you may notice that the portion of Windows XP Setup that copies files to the hard disk performs slowly.

At the command prompt, type drive:, and then press ENTER (where drive is the drive that contains the Windows XP CD-ROM).

Type cd\i386, and then press ENTER.

Type winnt, and then press ENTER. Windows XP Setup starts.

Type the path to the Windows XP installation files, and then press ENTER. For example, type d:\i386.

Windows Setup copies files to the hard disk. When the files are copied, the following message appears:

The MS-DOS based portion of Setup is complete.
    Setup will now restart your computer. After your computer restarts,
    Windows XP Setup will continue.

If there is a floppy disk in drive A:, remove it now.

Press ENTER to restart your computer and continue Windows XP Setup.
    Remove any floppy disks from the computer, and then press ENTER. The computer restarts and Windows XP Setup resumes. Press ENTER to continue.

Follow the steps to select and format a partition in which to install Windows XP.

If your hard disk contains only one partition, do not delete it from the list of existing partitions. Windows XP Setup has copied the installation files to this partition.

You can later convert a FAT32-formatted partition to the NTFS file system.

Setup copies the files needed for Windows XP Setup, and then the computer restarts.

If you chose to format the drive by using the NTFS file system, Windows checks the drive for errors, and then restarts.

Windows XP Setup resumes in Graphical User Interface (GUI) mode.

Follow the steps in the Windows Setup Wizard to complete the installation of Windows XP.

Originally posted by wdi-home
    That's what I'm asking about guys. The problem is that I didn't know how to boot from CD. that's all. so I think that will solve the problem.

Thanks Naz.A

I didn't only want a clean install but I also wanted to clean all Windows ME related files and directories.

Thank you!
    Im glad i could help you
    Windows xp is a much better and stable o/s than ME.
    If you have any problems let me know
    Yeah of course do back up data, as a format will clear ALL your files.
    Good Day
    -Naz