Question Need help with Mysql server

hi, i used to able to google remote access Mysql and the command that i can run with telnet but i can't find it anymore. does anyone have link to Mysql 4.0 manaul that show you what command you can run and how to access mysql server via telnet or remote access.

thank you.

Don't you mean SSH? Almost nobody uses telnet anymore for remote server connections, and if you are, you shouldn't be.

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do remotely via MySQL, but I suspect that you're looking for either mysql or mysqladmin, in which case, use:

mysql --user=<mysql username> -p

You will then be prompted for the password interactively. Mysqladmin runs from the command line in a similar fashion. You can type mysqladmin from the command line to get a listing of commands and their effects.

mysql -u $username -p -h $hostname/IP

You will need to first 'grant' access to your remote IP on the MySQL server before you will be able to connect to the host. You also need to make sure the MySQL server is setup to listen on the public IP port and not just localhost.

The 'grant' statement is similar to this. This will allow ALL privileges on the DB to the remote user and host.

GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO [email protected] IDENTIFIED BY 'somesecretpass';
    FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

If you want to only allow access to 1 of the DB's on your host change the *.* to dbname.* IE nuke.*

Thanks

Jeremy

thank all. does anyone know the link on mysql.com's website for remote access. yeah i think it was SSH, not telnet.