ThePlanet vs LayeredTech

Both providers seem to have a top network and excellent hardware. Can anyone sway my decision by giving reviews or opinions?
    My target customers are anyone that lives in the USA (web hosting).

I am hosted with theplanet shared reseller plan
    but I am going to purchase a LayeredTech dedicated server.
    Me too interested in this thread

try to use the search function to get more info
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search...der=descending

Good luck to either of you choice
    And good luck to me
    I Love WHT

The Planet = more expensive, and a more comprehensive network. They also offer 100% uptime and support more technical issues than the unmanaged LT staff does. They offer 24/7 toll free support as well.

That being said, Layered Tech is FAR less expensive, completely unmanaged, and uses only Savvis bandwidth for most, if not all, of their new customers. They are *very* good at what they do, but it's completely different from what ThePlanet does.

If you need a 100% Network Uptime SLA, go with ThePlanet. If you need managed services, or toll free phone support, go with ThePlanet. However, if you just need some cheap server on a solid network, and can do all of your own trouble-shooting and management, then go with LayeredTech.
    Thanks,

Brendan Diaz
    Connect: linkedin.com/in/brendandiaz

Thanks for the review keep em coming

i agree with Lucid-Felix it looks to me as if with layered you are the tech
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

Both are great dedicated providers but theplanet does cost more but they offer 2000GB of bandwidth and layeredtech offers 1000-1200gb of bandwidth. If you plan on going with layeredtech for a server I would look at there reseller Dedicated Place as they charge like $15 more a month but its layeredtech managed servers. They have put up with alot of crap from me having them help setup dns , email accounts, setup hosting for client, install ssl cert, setup dedicated ip for my site and ssl cert. You name it and they most likly can do it and its all including in there monthly fee.

Thanks once again, but can someone answer this question. Which provider has the most reliable network? I would need the fastest download times from anywhere in the US.

Layeredtech is dependent solely on one bandwidth provider, Savvis and if that goes down then everything to them would not be accessible. Speed would just be dependent with who Savvis peers with.

With The Planet, it come with a multi-homed network and currently has connections with 10 network providers so if one is down, it would not affect the connection. With the choice of 10 network providers, your customers would be connected to it using the fastest connections. Probably in the next month or so, they will also be including Savvis as one of the new network providers.

Technically speaking, The Planet is a better choice.

Originally posted by v3|dark
    Thanks once again, but can someone answer this question. Which provider has the most reliable network? I would need the fastest download times from anywhere in the US.
    ThePlanet has a more reliable network (since it uses more than one provider), but from my experience, has higher latency than layeredtech.

LT is cheap if you don't need paid OS like RedHat or Windows. LT's server also started with 512mb while TP/SM's server started with 1gb.

so if you need paid OS, need at least 1gb of ram...you add that up and the price come to about the same more or less. also LT's BW started at 1000 while SM's bw started at 1200.

LT's server really shine if you know what you're doing and use free OS but like someone already said you need to keep in mind that LT's server are at Savvis there is no other pipe that go into Savvis while TP/SM have multi different pipe.

Latency would depend on where you are located. For me in Asia, The Planet has a lower latency compared to Layeredtech.

Originally posted by eddy2099
    Layeredtech is dependent solely on one bandwidth provider, Savvis and if that goes down then everything to them would not be accessible. Speed would just be dependent with who Savvis peers with.
    LayeredTech might not have multiple upstream providers, but it is multi-homed through several different Savvis links. The chances of all those links going down is slim and none, especially since Savvis has engineered their network to meet the needs of financial markets.

Originally posted by eddy2099
    Latency would depend on where you are located. For me in Asia, The Planet has a lower latency compared to Layeredtech.
    For most people, the latency at LT/Savvis is lower than at TP. I've had servers at both places, and asked hundreds of people from all over the world to give me traceroutes. The results of these are overwhelmingly in LT's favor by about 18ms.

Hmm, what about the terrible customer support reviews of theplanet that I have been reading. Can anyone expand upon that?

ThePlanet is the best, hands down, no questions asked.

Hmm, what about the terrible customer support reviews of theplanet that I have been reading. Can anyone expand upon that?
    Well, The Planet is growing at a rapid pace and as such would have attracted different types of customers and employees and it is possible that out of the 26,000+ servers that are hosted in their facilities, there would be some bad issues experienced by their customers.

The Planet offers a managed plan and the ones which is included for free is not extremely comprehensive and if you know what is provided and what is not and what skill level is required of you, it would indeed be a good experience.

The trouble is that there are some customers who plunged into a dedicated server thinking that they will get the same level of support as a shared hosting account and assumed that they do not need to know anything about server management or knowledge about the underlining operating system. Some would assume that The Planet tech would do everything for them. And as such, they would get sorely disappointed when things do not go their way.

Each support ticket would need to be handled individually and if they get bogged down by newbies sending numerous tickets each day asking for support for things which they should have done themselves would indeed tend to slowdown the speed of support.

Of course, at the same time, with the expansion that The Planet is experiencing now, they have brought upon a lot more new people in tech support and sales. Some of which may not be experience enough or responsible enough as the senior techs. Some may not be very tactful in handling customers. That could lead to some bad experiences.

Some issues with them are genuine while others are pretty much bogus. I would believe that despite all that, The Planet is growing and there are quite a number of loyal customers. Overall, it is a good company to be with, not perfect but better than most especially if you work out what you are getting for each server at the current price range.

I personally get a lower, and steadier ping out of my Layeredtech sever than out of my one theplanet. Since I manage my servers myself... layeredtech is my hands-down decision.

instead of ordering on Theplanet.com website just go to servermatrix.com and they are also from theplanet but they have cheaper servers compare to the ones advertise in theplanet.com website.

But isnt servermatrix of lower quality or something?

i used to have a P4 2.8 ghz with 1gb ddr with windows 2003 at servermatrix for 99 bucks and i regret it up to now why i cancelled it last january. Quality is good. The only downtime i had was a scheduled maintenance. Plus they have a 24/7 toll free tech support who answered right away

But isnt servermatrix of lower quality or something?
    They provide cheaper servers than ThePlanet by using less "enterprise grade" hardware, offering less of an SLA, and not managing the servers like TP does. Also, in the case of a major incident at their datacenter, the servers at SM are the last ones to be attended to (this is based on experience on two occasions)

honestly. I went with dedicatedplace.com because of them stating they manage servers. I have had my box with them for about 2 or 3 weeks and they have help me with anything asked. I was having plesk issues and they took there time to search plesk.com fourms to solve my problem =) This is the type of provider I needed and I'm happy I found them. I'll be with them for a very long time.

What kind of support response timings can you expect from LayeredTech? Has anyone ever had any downtime with them?

I have had good experience with ThePlanet, great support and great prices also! But I'd also like to research other Datacenters as well