Buying a domain off of someone

Hello,

My domain for ZapX Technologies is zapx.net, which is ok, but what I am concerned about is that zapx.com is already taken. I haven't been worried about this for the last few months but am growing increasingly concerned, and would like to obtain ownership of this domain for obvious reasons.

I emailed [email protected], explaining the situation. He replied with the following:

Hello,

I understand your situation.

Please make me a "reasonable" offer for the name, and I will
    respectfully take it into consideration.

Regards,

Michael R. Waldrep
    Sounds reasonable to me, but I am clueless as to what a reasonable offer is. I have never been in a situation like this before. Any suggestions?

I'd edit your post, someone else might get it now and charge you more!
    Ankit Gupta - Cernax Hosting
    "We're always second in the industry, the customer comes first."

Not much I can edit to stop that; their email address is right on their site.

I'd say $50.

Say this will incurr the charge to transfer the domain into your hands too.
    It's Scott!

Hmm yeah, that sounds like a pretty reasonable price to me. I think it's pretty important to have the .com domain for zapx.

Well he owns the name for another year so that's around $10. It might cost for transfer depending on where the domain is registered. Based on its 4 letter combo wich is pretty good, I'm not sure he'd accept a $50 offer. You can try but I'd think he'd be looking for minimum of high $XX.

I'm not so sure. Look at their site; they have plenty of other domains. How valuable can this one really be to them?

I doubt its even worth $50, thats just to be nice to the guy.

Its not like it has a ring to it. Its a word with an 'x' attached to it.
    It's Scott!

when you post, you should left the zapx.com's owner's name out of the thread. i mean this is a public fourm. i think you should give the guy some privacy.

just my two cent.

i dont think some one knowing you want to buy his .com will accept $50
    go for $100 so he will think its a good sale
    some people think its there chance to make $$$ so they willa sk for a high price

Well, I offered $50 so we'll see what comes out of that.

If you're serious about obtaining the zapx.com domain, don't make a fifty dollar offer. It will only be a one time fee for you. Therefore, I would offer as BizB suggested, one hundred dollars. Some individuals, register an array of domain names knowing they will be able to sell them in the future for a good price. Also, major corporations/companies are willing to pay a big price for such requests.

Basically, he got you to initiate the offer. Who knows, maybe to him you will offer more then what he originally expected. Now, he may deny your first offer and present a counter-offer which in turn may cause you to present a count-offer in return. Nevertheless, this may give him time to think and he may even hold onto that domain.

Originally posted by UniServe Hosting
    Basically, he got you to initiate the offer. Who knows, maybe to him you will offer more then what he originally expected. Now, he may deny your first offer and present a counter-offer which in turn may cause you to present a count-offer in return. Nevertheless, this may give him time to think and he may even hold onto that domain.
    As UniServe said, he may just take your offer and deny it to see if you make another offer, then deny that.. make you offer again. Once you offer a 2nd time, he knows he can drive it up more, etc. Good luck with it though! Tell us when you receive a reply
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management Search Engine Optimization Pay Per Click Email Marketing

Yeah, thank you for the suggestions. I will certainly post back when it is completed.

I tried them for a reseller account once a while ago. They do have a ton of downtime and always have atleast 1 server down.
    http://www.surpasshosting.com/status/stats/stats.php

Cheers
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

ZeonFX...I think you replied to the wrong thread?

Originally posted by ZapX Technologies
    ZeonFX...I think you replied to the wrong thread?
    Thats what I get for having 4 WHT windows open and reading all at once...

Cheers
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

LOL that was great....thank god your admitting to it . For a second I thought you had multiple personalities or became delusional and read something we all missed

Who said he didn't? He just has it under control for this thread
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management Search Engine Optimization Pay Per Click Email Marketing

Lol! oh very funny.....

took me a while to recover from laughing.

Sorry to bring up this very old thread.

I finally got a response, because I emailed him again yesterday.

here's what he replied:

Hello,

Zapx.com is and has always been forwarded to zapcomm.com, the
    home page for ZAP Communications, Inc..

Zapx.com was purchased in July of 2004.

Zapx.net was purchased in December of 2004.

I asked for a "reasonable" offer.

$50 is not a "reasonable" offer.

Zapx.com is not for sale.

Please don't waste my time or yours.
    Well I did reply to that, but I don't have much hope about this. the domain is only a couple of months older than mine so I'm not sure what his point is there. It's not even his official domain, it is just a redirection.

Yeah, when I saw $50 as the estimated worth of that domain...I almost fell out of my chair laughing. I wouldn't have offered him anything less than $5000...and then that would be only to get the talks started. I suspect he's looking for at least five figures for that domain.

Come on, its a 4 letter .com with SERIOUS branding possibilities. $50 is an insult and told him that you're either not serious or don't have the kind of cash that domain is worth.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Umm.. I don't think that domain is worth anymore than $100.

Originally posted by elix
    Yes but when you want something you have to pay for it, If he was selling it he would settle for anything around $50, but its the other way around so he wont settle for that figure
    Offer him more if your serious.
    Regards

I think he's insulted the domain owner and I am pretty sure he won't respond to future offers from him unless they are well above the $5000 mark.

--Tina
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Originally posted by elix

Yes, but you aren't the one who wants it and has a need for it.

Someone who had a very good reason for wanting a domain name I had offered me $35,000 for it. I didn't sell and he couldn't afford to offer me more. Would *you* have offered me that much for it? I seriously doubt it because, to you, that domain was worthless.

--Tina

Unfortunately we're not millionaires.

A staf fmember called them, from finding their number on their site. He talked to their management and they denied owning zapx.com.

Originally posted by ZapX Technologies
    Unfortunately we're not millionaires.

A staf fmember called them, from finding their number on their site. He talked to their management and they denied owning zapx.com.
    Sure but you know how it works, but yourself in his shoes, Youd want more dont you think
    Regards

You need to figure out what the domain is worth to you. Is it worth more for you to have the domain, or to let it remain as it is?

Once you put a dollar amount on how much the domain is worth to you, that is what you offer. If you aren't willing to pay what the current owner is selling it for, then it isn't worth it for you to have that domain.

Personally, I wouldn't have chosen the domain zapx.net if I didn't get the .com first.

Well, of course the domain was worth a lot, it was a question of how much I could afford.

As you see I've given up. I figure it's better to change now than later on and still have this hanging over us. i've registered all the major tld's for hostultrix. Excruciating two days of pondering for another name!

i doubt anyone would sell his name for anything less than $xxxx

especially if he knows that the domain is VERY important for you
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

hi,

This is an old issue now, and the domain is no longer important to us, as we have changed our business name. The names ZapX Technologies and Zap Communications, INC are a bit too close for comfort, anyway, in my opinion.

Anyway this issue no longer exists.