• No

4 17.39%
  • Yes, Although I have had problems with support and/or warranty replacement

2 8.70%
  • No, Although I would if I had the opportunity

0 0%
  • I do not shop online

1 4.35%

Do you purchase expensive electronics online or in-store?

HI,

I am wondering how many of you purchase big ticket items online from tigerdirect, newegg or similar stores. I'm considering buying a digital camera from tigerdirect.ca but have never done so and I don't know how much of hassle getting it fixed would be if it broke on me. Also do you ever purchase those extended warranty plans?

Thanks
    Jeff
    Last edited by Xoopiter-Jeff; 04-30-2005 at 03:56 PM.
    Xoopiter.com:: The new standard in Web Hosting

Don't think I've bought anything major in a normal shop for the last few years. Much cheaper online and I don't even have to go out.
    Steve

It really depends.

If it's a digital camera for example, I'll go to bestbuy and other retail places and check out the cameras and if I find one I like, I'll order it online say Newegg. I don't like ordering from Tigerdirect.

Its certainly cheaper, the most ive spent online is just over £400 ($900) on computer parts which are alot cheaper online, but for a piece of midn shop instore!

I haven't bought anything over $500 in my life anyhow, and the one thing I did -- a computer -- I bought from Dell(.com) about four years ago. Therefore, I voted that I do (although more realistic would be that I have bought expensive electronics online), but I have had problems with warranties and support.

Dell, after hassling with them about this for several weeks, suddenly -- or at least according to a suspiciously conclusive Indian support rep -- wouldn't ship me a replacement copy of Windows XP for $20 like they said they would before; they changed it from $20 to full price, about $200. Finally, I talked to a supervisor and he said they would ship it out promptly for $20. They don't have good interdepartmental communication, and their phone system just plain blows.

I haven't ordered from Tigerdirect in a long time because of their past history of disregarding unsubscribe instructions. I have found bhphoto.com to be good for cameras and accessories. Buying from an actual store can be an advantage, especially if they have a good return policy. You avoid shipping charges, and avoid them again if the item has to be returned. A reputable online store can sometimes be worthwhile for the lower price, and especially for items that are hard to find locally.

Warrenties can be a problem, remember you may have to pay return costs and that is not really cheap, check the terms and cons before buying, its cheaper but there is sometimes hidden costs delivery etc, its better to see how much you save compared to buying in store and if its not much of a difference id just go and buy from a store.

Almost always buy in store... for the return policy as Disgruntled mentioned. The primary exception being computer parts which I buy from Newegg, but it isn't that often that I need them.
    A well-reasoned assumption is very close to fact.
    - Adorno

I just bought around $2000 worth of computer equipment on TigerDirect. I have had to warranty issues, as the returns are directly to the manufacturer and not the dealer.

I've bought computers, parts, etc online many times, not to mention digital cameras, and other biggish ticket items.

When it comes time to buy a stereo or TV or projector or other such I usually try and buy local unless I'm just gonna save too much money online to ignore the online option.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

I've bought a number of expensive of electronics online. Only place I ever had trouble was with TigerDirect. Although, they eventually took the item back.

I've bought every digicam and camcorder (about 10) since 1999 online.

I've never bought an extended warranty.

If one ever broke (1 time in 6 years) I dealt directly with the manufacturer under their rebate and had no problems.

The other thing I do with them is take out a personal article floater on the items to cover against theft and lost.
    Rich
    Husband, Father, Retired Marine, Geek

online stores like Newegg seem nice. Good prices and secure transactions.

I've spent thousands online. I've bought expensive computers, computer parts, digital cameras, MP3 players and more online. The price difference is massive, thus the choice for me is natural. It's also more convenient and I perceive the risk to only be marginally greater purchasing online, as long as I purchase from a reputable, well-researched company.
    <?php include_once('signature'); ?>

Usually online - all depends if I need it right then and there.

And of course there's ordering a computer online. A reputable online dealer can provide more customization that you'll find in the packages in a big-box store. Probably my biggest online purchase is my Dell laptop.

I have bought numerous items online but if they have what I want at a local shop, I would probably just buy it from there. I just don't want to wait for it to be delivered.
    ••If one picture is worth a thousand words, what is the value of an entire movie?••
    ••Check out our flash tutorials here ••
    Webhosting :: Reseller Accounts :: Customized Flash Tutorials
    http://www.ivialis.com :: sales@ivialis.com

Well I did it! I ordered my Digital Camera (http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...Tab=0&NoMapp=0) from TigerDirect. I figure if bad things happen I can always drive to there store (45 minutes away) and get the problem solved. I hope I made the right choice!

Jeff

I just checked the CircuitCity site. It's not available yet, but it shows that when it will be in stock it will be $324.45 after rebates.

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/catO...ategorylist.do

Originally posted by Disgruntled
    I just checked the CircuitCity site. It's not available yet, but it shows that when it will be in stock it will be $324.45 after rebates.

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/catO...ategorylist.do
    That's USD I believe + I might get duty and all sorts of other hassles when I order online from a store in the states. I ordered from Tigerdirect.ca so that's in Canadian dollars.

Jeff

I hadn't though of that. The Tigerdirect.ca price calculates to US $375.52, which probably isn't so bad given it's in stock now, as well as Customs issues, shipping, etc.