Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Site uptime tools

Which tools do you use to estimate your site's uptime, and which tools are the best and / or cheapest? - I came across http://www.siteuptime.com and subscribed for a free account (max. 1 site monitoring); any comments on them and other similar services?

upPanel.com

siteuptime is pretty good here are some others:
    http://host-tracker.com (tried it, very good and reliable service)
    http://www.siterecon.com (didnt try it)
    http://hyperspin.com

Originally posted by PTH
    upPanel.com
    I haven't seen this one before. Just signed up to check it out. Thanks

We just started using siteuptime and they have a
    pretty good setup.  I asked about 10 questions before
    signup and support was right on the ball, quick, friendly
    and helpfull.  I have not tried any others yet but as of now
    siteuptime fills our current needs fo monitoring our servers.

Originally posted by PTH
    upPanel.com
    Been using this for about a week now. I like their setup. It's still in development though so a lot of functions don't work yet.

I'm using SiteUpTime and they are pretty good

I'll chime in with my recomendation of SiteUpTime as well
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

I have used Alertra in the past, although i prefer cheaper versions of site monitoring tools as then i can use the extra money elsewhere on making the server & services better.

Thumbs up for siteuptime as that's what i usually use.

Chris,

I have a premium acct with SiteUptime, been great
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management Search Engine Optimization Pay Per Click Email Marketing

Thanks for the free ones!
    Gary King

Site Uptime seems to have occasional problems with up times of their own... And about once a month I get false alarms regarding my sites. Two weeks ago it told me I had about 4 hours of downtime, while the site, mail, ftp, and everything else were all working fine the whole time.

I have been using them for about a year, and although they claim a 99.6% uptime, I know it is even higher.

Thanks for the link... I am now trying UpPanel... Nice simple layout, and I like the interval choices!

http://www.siteuptime.com have a great services, good prices and friendly support. For $5 a month you can monitor up to 5 websites every 5 minutes from various locations (London, NY, LA...)

Amazing fact, I tried to monitor google.com with a paid account, but they refused to monitor it every 5 minutes.
    .:. Enterprise SAN Consultant .:.

Originally posted by edelweisshosting
    Amazing fact, I tried to monitor google.com with a paid account, but they refused to monitor it every 5 minutes.
    Interesting.. was it automatic deny or did the staff tell you?

The monitoring was disabled by the staff, but they told me nothing about. Instead of monitoring google every 5 min, it was monitored once every 24 hours or more.
    .:. Enterprise SAN Consultant .:.

I use siteuptime.com it's been quite good although sometimes I've wondered if it's correct having it report downtime that just seemed strange like one random outage. Probably just dropped the packet or something to report it as an outage. I've also tried out hyperspin but I wasn't impressed with their public reports I thought siteuptime.com has better public reports. uppanel.com looks very promising also but it wouldn't be remote monitoring sadly I think I host them apparently It's a small world
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X & PHP 7.0.X Support!

Haha, yeah that may be a problem

Originally posted by TonyB
    uppanel.com looks very promising also but it wouldn't be remote monitoring sadly I think I host them apparently It's a small world
    I got a good laugh out of that, .

Siteuptime looks good, I'll give that a try.

Thank you very much. Interesting replies here.

Well, I have been testing siteuptime.com and uppanel.com and I find the usefulness of these services limited.

1) I receive regularly emails advising that one of my sites is down. As I receive the email, I click immediately on the link to my own site... and my site is up and running.

2) On the other hand, several of my sites were really down for several hours / days. I discovered it by accident. The uptime reporting services were reporting that my sites were up. I contacted support (siteuptime) and their reply was: "The site for www.[my site].com is active but not being displayed via a web browser. For example, you can ping the site and telnet to it and resolves to IP 72.29.XX.XXX. It seems to be a problem with your server config, contact your web hosting provider about this." - In that particular case, there was indeed some fault at the hosting company and my site could not be seen; but siteuptime was reporting that everything is OK.

Does anyone know of a service that would alert me if my site does not display in a browser? .... As I think most people would view my sites via a browser!

Siteuptime hasnt contacted me yet my site is down according to their own "Quick Check".

Not sure if their email reporting is slow or they just didnt notice the outage.

Anymore comments on alertra? I am considering them. I signed up for the 30-day trial and like it very much so far.

Does anyone have any comments about them?

Well I signed up for Alertra. First tried the trial for a day or two and just decided to upgrade right then since they had some nice specials. The host device monitoring (usually $29.95) I got for $20.25 monthly.

They seem really good so far.

They also have some nice offers regarding affiliates

not impressed with siteuptime. its showing an uptime of 100%, even though this site has been down for the past 1.5 hours, confirmed. its supposed to be checking every 30 mins.

have had this issue numerous times. sometimes it tells me site is down when its 100% up, but most of the times it doesnt' tell me when site is down when it really is....

Good thread! Wish I'd found it before I started the other one
    "Obsolesence is just a lack of imagination."

I'm using upPanel right now. Rocking so far!
    Gary King

i'm with gary w, uppanel is the best tool i've used so far. so far it's caught and notified me of 3 downtimes on 2 domains that siteuptime.com doesn't even have a clue about.

for siteuptime users: honestly, leave them. even their paid service isn't as good as uppanel's free service....

Originally posted by zimsters
    i'm with gary w, uppanel is the best tool i've used so far. so far it's caught and notified me of 3 downtimes on 2 domains that siteuptime.com doesn't even have a clue about.

for siteuptime users: honestly, leave them. even their paid service isn't as good as uppanel's free service....
    It depends what intervals you are using, if it's half an hour, that's too much. I used alertra and siteuptime for two months (at the same time), neither reported any downtime (none to report). It may be that upPanel is reporting false downtime (which didn't happen), could have also been a network issue (depending on where you are monitoring from). I've been using SiteUpTime paid service (I did have some problems with the free service but paid seems to work much better) and another system, on another server, for the last five months, and it hasn't missed anything so far.

true- the time between checks matters enormously... although i did have a 1.5 hour downtime just a few days back (see my post a few posts above) and siteuptime didn't even notice. it reports one of my sites as 100% uptime last month when i was switching servers and the entire server was offline for the better part of a day... i just don't trust it.

maybe their paid service is better, but their free service is just a marketing gimmick which doesn't even do anything IMO

I've been using siteuptime.com for about six months now with 5 minute intervals on ping and http service checks. It's notified me within 10 minutes of every single outage I've had but there are a lot of false positives. About once every two weeks it says my site is down when it's not. But the best feature is you can monitor the same service with siteuptime.com via multiple locations. It might notify you that your site is down from their new york location, but if you don't hear anything from their san francisco monitoring then obviously it's a problem on their end, and not yours.

I double/quadruple monitor my services and I know if I get one notification, it's probably okay. If I get five at once, then I know my servers are truly down.

The support here is fantastic. I made a request to have a customized output page so that I could include it directly into my website, and they were able to set that up for me right away. They also removed some false-positives from my stats for me.

The one thing I would like is the ability to edit the downtime stats myself because they removed a couple too many after my request and also I have more false-positives in the stats that are incorrect.

I just upgraded to their $10/month plan.
    Fork Networking - 1995-2010+
    Colocation & Dedicated Hosting
    West Coast, 99.999% uptime.
    <www.forked.net>

From the UpPanel.com Terms of Service: "you agree to link to upPanel.com from the site you are are monitoring"...

which is why I probably won't use them in the long run. If they have a great service, charge me a fee and let me keep my site as it is...

Originally posted by apexio
    I've been using siteuptime.com for about six months now with 5 minute intervals on ping and http service checks. It's notified me within 10 minutes of every single outage I've had but there are a lot of false positives. About once every two weeks it says my site is down when it's not. But the best feature is you can monitor the same service with siteuptime.com via multiple locations. It might notify you that your site is down from their new york location, but if you don't hear anything from their san francisco monitoring then obviously it's a problem on their end, and not yours.

I double/quadruple monitor my services and I know if I get one notification, it's probably okay. If I get five at once, then I know my servers are truly down.

The support here is fantastic. I made a request to have a customized output page so that I could include it directly into my website, and they were able to set that up for me right away. They also removed some false-positives from my stats for me.

The one thing I would like is the ability to edit the downtime stats myself because they removed a couple too many after my request and also I have more false-positives in the stats that are incorrect.

I just upgraded to their $10/month plan.
    tbh it sounds a little fishy to me to be able to modify your uptime stats, false-positive or not. to me that makes me lose faith in siteuptime, since my entire trust on them is based upon the fact that they are a neutral third party service that gives you results as-is, not some nicely neatened up statistics that you can show off to your clients....

i don't know, siteuptime just lost points from me for doing this. giving the customer the ability to modify their "false positives" would be what would make it go over the edge in terms of absolute idiocitry.

None of the services mentioned here does the job properly, I think. I have been experimenting with Siteuptime and Uppanel among others. Many false positives and - worst - no alert at all when the site was really down for several hours / days.

My site was down because of a server configuration error. No page would display at all; however the reporting services were all claiming that everything is up and running.

I am now trying to look for a service that would read a button or a string of text on my site, and make reliability stats out of it. So far, I haven't found one. http://netmon.com/ seems to be offering that type of service (button), but it did not work for me.

http://host-tracker.com

Real free.
    1 min.
    head/post/get + keyword
    monitor many URL
    monitor from 22 servers around the world.
    email nofity only.

Originally posted by markwolk
    I am now trying to look for a service that would read a button or a string of text on my site, and make reliability stats out of it. So far, I haven't found one. http://netmon.com/ seems to be offering that type of service (button), but it did not work for me. [/B]

Have you try http://host-tracker.com ?

Thanks for the tip. I have just subscribed with host-tracker and will let you know how it progresses.

Another host-tracker user checking in. I have been really happy with their service, and they offer 1min checks which most sites don't.

Wow, I'm the third one here using Host-tracker!
    I think they are OK; now they also offer a nice little image you can put on your page which displays the current site uptime to all the world.
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast