Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OrangeFiber vs LiquidWeb for hosting large forum

Hello all,

I have a large forum with about 50,000 members and 10,000 posts per day. It typcially has 600-800 people online during the week, but we get really large visitor spikes (1400+) at certain times.

We need to move hosts and upgrade, and I have narrowed it down to OrangeFiber and Liquid Web.

Price is less important to me than primo tech support, but of course all things being equal (is it ever?) we'll go with price. We have no linux know-how and unfortunately really need it.

Orange Fiber has already gotten me a quote, here it is for reference:

Webservers: 2 servers: Dual Opteron 242 1 GB Ram
    MySQL Server: Dual Opteron 242 4 GB Ram
    Load Balancer: Cisco Local Director 416 LDIR

Total is $1415 per month.

LiquidWeb seems to have raving customer reviews here, but any comparison as to the pros and cons of one over the other is appreciated.
      0 Not allowed!

Hello, OrangeFiber is a very shady operation. I used to resell for them, but have since stopped due to so many problems with them. I have used LiquidWeb in the past briefly, and I did enjoy it, just couldn't quite afford it for what I neede dit for though. The support from LiquidWeb is 10 times better than OrangeFiber, and the network for OrangeFiber, is cogent only with no backups. Though cogent is great, it's nice to have some backups in case problems occur. Best of luck in your decision.
      0 Not allowed!

Orange Fibre is not very professional from what I have seen but I have no first hand experience. Like JHosts said, they run a shady operation.

I have first hand experience with Liquidweb and they are almost PERFECT in every way besides the fact that the guy told me he would speak to his manager about a partial refund but I never heard another word. Should have just told me "No"
      0 Not allowed!

In addition it has been pointed out just about a week ago or so that some people got access to OrangeFiber MRTG (me included) and noted that the vast majority of their uplinks are ~950 Mbps and pretty much congested.
    Justin Cassidy, Accentra Inc.
    www.faxmicro.com :: Your Internet Fax Solution
    www.tollfreeexpress.com :: Hosted PBX Solutions
      0 Not allowed!

Holy Bejeebus that has to be the largest forums I've seen yet. 2,000,000+ posts in one thread?? All I can say is... wow
    Adam Lawson - AQORN
    OpenStack Professional Services. Commercial Support. Open-Source Cloud Management
    Official OpenStack Foundation Member & Corporate Sponsor
    Our Clients: AT&T | Cisco | Juniper | SAP | Autodesk | SUSE | Ubuntu
      0 Not allowed!

Hi,

Don't mind Jhosts. He's been complaining about OrangeFibre so much that he hasn't even fixed the many problems with his own business. He just had amazingly ludicrous expectations for OrangeFibre, and he demanded that they do more work for less money (and perform services for free that no host would ever offer). You may want to read some of his complaints about OrangeFibre before you make your decision.

JHosts, I'm sorry to say this, but you're really one to talk. I've seen alot more threads complaining about you than I have about OrangeFibre. If you demand that they run your business for you, of course they're not going to take kindly to your demands. And don't call them a shady operation when you list false contact info in your WHOIS info and disappear for a week. Again, I'm sorry to say this, but what you said was highly hypocritical.

OrangeFibre is an excellent company. I've worked with OrangeFibre servers before for some of my clients, and I have nothing but compliments for their uptime, network and SLA.

And every host's network is like that. Every server for OrangeFibre is on a 1Gbit port, so utilization is expected to be that high.
    Last edited by danclough; 04-30-2005 at 12:48 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Jhosts and OrangeFiber have a recent beef so just take that into consideration. Not sure that Jhosts or Orangefiber are wrong, both had good points but as usual people just want their issues addressed.

I am not saying to discount his feedback but just consider it with everything else. My dealings with OrangeFiber have been very professional (no we don't resell for them) and we have yet to see live chat unmanned and without knowledgeable staff.

Liquidweb has a good reputation as well. I am not sure that you will go wrong with either of them. On the topic of network congestion, I am sure most people's business models have the best bang for their buck when they have utilization at about 75%. Having grossly underutilized lines isn't a good thing financially and clearly having them at max are also not good.

I would have a discussion with both businesses and see who you are more comfortable with.
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by MrManager
    Holy Bejeebus that has to be the largest forums I've seen yet. 2,000,000+ posts in one thread?? All I can say is... wow
    I guess you haven't seen Gaia then :p
      0 Not allowed!

Semi-offtopic: why are you taking such beasts with only 1Gb RAM? Considering total cost of this stuff, I'd go with at least 2Gb; it's cheap, after all.
    First Amendment of a webhost: if you fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by MrManager
    We actualy have 5.6 M posts, but who's counting.

Good posts, keep them coming.
      0 Not allowed!

And every host's network is like that. Every server for OrangeFibre is on a 1Gbit port, so utilization is expected to be that high.
    Are you referring to the fact that most of their Gig-E lines are almost completely full? Most companies don't keep lines above 75% utilization... 950Mbps/1000Mbps just doesn't leave enough headroom. ServerMatrix ran into issues when their bandwidth for unmetered servers filled up, and the maxed out lines caused slow speeds and even packetloss. They've fixed that though.

I have a large forum with about 50,000 members and 10,000 posts per day. It typcially has 600-800 people online during the week, but we get really large visitor spikes (1400+) at certain times.
    Go with a network that has a 100% SLA then.

OrangeFibre is an excellent company. I've worked with OrangeFibre servers before for some of my clients, and I have nothing but compliments for their uptime, network and SLA.
    It doesn't look like OrangeFiber has an SLA at all, and their live help person didn't know anything about one.

- Matt
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by flashwiregsn
    Hi,

Don't mind Jhosts. He's been complaining about OrangeFibre so much that he hasn't even fixed the many problems with his own business. He just had amazingly ludicrous expectations for OrangeFibre, and he demanded that they do more work for less money (and perform services for free that no host would ever offer). You may want to read some of his complaints about OrangeFibre before you make your decision.

JHosts, I'm sorry to say this, but you're really one to talk. I've seen alot more threads complaining about you than I have about OrangeFibre. If you demand that they run your business for you, of course they're not going to take kindly to your demands. And don't call them a shady operation when you list false contact info in your WHOIS info and disappear for a week. Again, I'm sorry to say this, but what you said was highly hypocritical.

For you to say "dont mind JHosts" is completely unacceptable. I have first hand experience with them. Perhaps if you read about everything that happened, you would find your comments to be wrong. Though due to the fact that you like them so much, are rejecting the bad, and only wanting to listen to the good. Every price I sold at, was the price orangefiber offered, I did not lowball or anything. I did not demand they run the business for me, I demanded a system to use, rather than them just asking me what server # it was. I had no interface at all, like EVERY SINGLE OTHER PROVIDER in the world, to view my account and information. Just because I have beef with OrangeFiber doesn't mean it will affect what i say. You're the one bringing up the problems with them, I only stated my experience with them and left out all the other garbage of them.
      0 Not allowed!

I believe OrangeFiber is also single-homed Cogent, that may be a downside (not that they have Cogent, but because there are single-homed).
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by HstCreations
    I believe OrangeFiber is also single-homed Cogent, that may be a downside (not that they have Cogent, but because there are single-homed).
    Thanks HstCreations. Sadly I don't know what single-homed means, but it sounds bad.

FWIW, my OrangeFiber sales contact wrote:

"we are not singled homed to Cogent
    - you would be on a Abovenet + Cogent mix, as I have mentioned before. Abovenet has 10Gbps of capacity in our building."
      0 Not allowed!

I too am considering several different providers for similar high bandwidth needs, and so far, orangefiber is at the top of my consideration.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Trommsdorff
    Thanks HstCreations. Sadly I don't know what single-homed means, but it sounds bad.

- you would be on a Abovenet + Cogent mix, as I have mentioned before. Abovenet has 10Gbps of capacity in our building."
    Have them show you a traceroute from their network to www.abovenet.com . I guarantee you that they won't provide one, as it'd go over Cogent . Last I heard, they just had AboveNET in as failover.
      0 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!

I ordered a server from Orangefiber few days ago,
    And my experience with their network so far has been great.

The downside with Orangefiber in my opinion is their Support and Account managment, from my experience there is no solid orginaized interface for both of them.

Also, I asked for some jobs on my server, and some tech's I ran into weren't helpful at all, and I had to ask them again and again to complete the job and for the status of the job, though couple of hours later they got all done (probably different tech).

If you are looking for good speeds and you can run your own server I would go OrangeFiber.
    If you need fully managed servers I wouldn't go with them.

<<Signature to be setup in your profile>>
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 04-30-2005 at 09:18 PM.
    Best regards,
    Gil - ZoneServ.com.
      0 Not allowed!

Trommsdorf, single-homed means they have only one bandwidth provider, Cogent. That's absolutely not good for a serious site.

I have no experience with OrangeFiber, but after all that was said here, I personally wouldn't consider them as an option. These reviews may be true or not, but there's obviously quite a bit of uncertainty with OrangeFiber, and that's not what I like for a hosting provider...
    First Amendment of a webhost: if you fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
      0 Not allowed!

I would go with what you know is a respectable / reliable company . To me liquidweb is that company.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by sysc
    I would go with what you know is a respectable / reliable company . To me liquidweb is that company.
    I take it you have been with them a while - without dramas?

I'm looking at this situation right now. So far, liquidweb is top rank - in both presence AND top charge!

Would appreciate any votes from people who have had at least a year or two with them! ( Apparently a rare thing - 12+ months housing)

Am jumping from living with Reselling Resellers to becoming one - just to get stability for a pretty small operation. A very basic dedicated box.
    I WILL need support more than anything else - am strictly non-geek.

TIA,
    Himagain
    On 4th change in 18 months due to dying Resellers........
    -----------------------------------
    CENSORSHIP?? They can't stop m
      0 Not allowed!

Welp - liquid web won't do these types of quotes on the weekend - so I'll post Monday what they come up with.
      0 Not allowed!

You should not compare both of them. They are both in different league. Liquidweb for sure. You can look into iweb.ca too.
      0 Not allowed!

We need to move hosts and upgrade, and I have narrowed it down to OrangeFiber and Liquid Web.
    Who were the others on the list? Have you looked at www.ThePlanet.com for example? www.Rackspace.com?

We have no linux know-how and unfortunately really need it.
    Of the two, I'd definitely go with www.LiquidWeb.com if you need complete management. That's exactly what LiquidWeb can offer you, and they're great at it. They also have true 24/7 support. Of the managed providers I have worked with in the past, LiquidWeb is above par.

However, if price is not as important as quality, then I suggest you take OrangeFiber right off of your list and start looking at some additional high quality providers. OrangeFiber is pure Cogent, single homed - Cogent itself is not necessarily a bad provider, but for you, since you're looking for "high quality," I'd go with a multi-homed provider with a 99.999% - 100% network uptime SLA. As it has been previously pointed out in this thread, there is nothing in writing about OrangeFiber’s network uptime policy – meaning you could run into trouble there.

At the same time, you don’t specifically refer to network uptime or SLA as being important, but instead refer to the tech support being the key factor. If that’s the case, and you believe OrangeFiber has high quality tech support, then they might work for you. But still I’d recommend looking at some other providers that encompass both better networks, and top notch customer support. Here are a few you could look at (no specific order):

www.SteadFastNetworks.com
    www.NYI.net
    www.Rusko.us
    www.RackSpace.com
    www.CRNC.net
    www.ThePlanet.com
    www.Gnax.com

And there are many others as well.

Whatever road you decide to take, best of luck!
    Thanks,

Brendan Diaz
    Connect: linkedin.com/in/brendandiaz
      0 Not allowed!

They've been talking about using AboveNet (and even Savvis from what i've been told) but by looking at what they have now the previous poster is correct: Single homed Cogent (and most likely congested based on the MRTG's that many of us witnessed while they were live).

Originally posted by Trommsdorff

0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Lucid-Felix
    Who were the others on the list? Have you looked at www.ThePlanet.com for example? www.Rackspace.com?
    Hi Felix,

I did actually check both of those out, first. Neither one will do anything besides linux/php/apache/mysql support. Maybe we'll hire someone to apply vbulletin updates and make sure our databases are running smoothly and go with them. But the "hands off customer data" policy of rackspace and theplanet have turned me off.

The bandwidth on rackspace is pretty low also.

I am anxious to get this show on the road - so far Liquid Web has underwhelmed me in their effort to secure my business. I, like many people, work during the week and only have time to do stuff like this on the weekends. But, I'm patient and will wait.

Thanks also for the other list of service providers - I will check them out.

You guys have been killing OrangeFiber. The sales rep I have supposedly is getting a SLA of 99.9% in writing. He also promises a traceroute from orangefiber to abovenet. He also claims a link to Savvis will be up and running in 2-3 months.
      0 Not allowed!

Trommsdorff,

A traceroute to above.net does not mean they're using AboveNet transit. It could possibly mean that they're pushing traffic to AboveNet over an exchange.

Cogent offers a 99.99% SLA themselves, whether or not this holds to be true depends on your paritcular situation and the market where you're being serviced.
      0 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!

We have been looking for a new server provider on the past 3 months, and we decided to go with LiquidWeb, We are only there for one week, but, Impressed with the Quality and Support.

Regards.
    Portugal Networks
    Shared and Reseller cPanel Accounts. NEW! Windows 2003 with Plesk, ASP.NET 2.0 and MSSQL 2005.
      0 Not allowed!

OrangeFiber does not have AboveNet bandwidth (at least not as primary.) Here's a traceroute from our servers at AboveNet:

# traceroute orangefiber.com
    traceroute to orangefiber.com (66.28.206.119), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
    1 758.ge-4-1-1.er10a.sjc2.us.above.net (208.185.243.2) 0.426 ms 93.328 ms 0.380 ms
    2 so-1-0-0.mpr4.sjc2.us.above.net (64.125.30.93) 0.605 ms 0.698 ms 0.576 ms
    MPLS Label=108880 CoS=6 TTL=1 S=0
    3 * so-3-0-0.mpr1.sjc7.us.above.net (64.125.30.177) 0.560 ms 0.919 ms
    4 g4-6.pr01.sjc03.atlas.psi.net (64.125.12.90) 1.044 ms 0.782 ms 0.598 ms
    5 * p3-0.core01.sjc01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.1.29) 1.361 ms 1.117 ms
    6 p14-0.core01.iah01.atlas.cogentco.com (66.28.4.237) 61.536 ms 61.590 ms 62.499 ms
    7 Alpha.demarc.cogentco.com (38.112.16.46) 61.564 ms 61.470 ms 61.435 ms
    8 66.28.206.119 (66.28.206.119) 67.239 ms 62.001 ms 61.580 ms

Cogent all the way... I would not pick a Cogent-only provider for a site that needs 100% reliability.
    Erica Douglass, Founder, Simpli Hosting, Inc.
    »»» I founded Simpli Hosting, and sold it in 2007 to Silicon Valley Web Hosting after over 6 years in the business.
    Now I'm blogging at erica.biz!
      0 Not allowed!

Well, for those who are interested, it is 4 pm CST on Wednesday and I still do not have a quote from Liquid Web.

LiquidWeb only has one person who makes quotes and for this type setup, and he is quite behind unfortunately.
      0 Not allowed!

I, personally, would not do business with OrangeFiber.

LayeredTech seems to have a great reputation.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.
      0 Not allowed!

I would definitely go with OrangeFiber. OrangeFiber has 24/7 support via toll-free phone and live chat. Obviously LiquidWeb does not have this as I just tried to see if their live chat was online.
    As you can obviously see, a kid started this about OrangeFiber and a lot of other people who really do not even have experience with them just chimed right in.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by LBX
    I would definitely go with OrangeFiber. OrangeFiber has 24/7 support via toll-free phone and live chat. Obviously LiquidWeb does not have this as I just tried to see if their live chat was online.
    As you can obviously see, a kid started this about OrangeFiber and a lot of other people who really do not even have experience with them just chimed right in.
    Do you have experience with them? Are you a customer?

I guess, as a potential customer, I would be concerned that it appears that they lie about their connectivity. I guess I would also be concerned that they had some questionable software that they "claim" they didn't know about.

Too shady for me... just because they have a toll free number and live support, does not make them the right choice.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.
      0 Not allowed!

Yes.

They are not lying about connectivity. AboveNet is in and they are just waiting on ARIN to assign them an ASN.

If you would look back, people with 0 experience -- much like yourself -- are the ones passing judgment and saying the negative things. Everyone who has actually used them have said nothing but compliments -- of course besides JHosts.
      0 Not allowed!

I currently have a server with another company affiliated w/ orange fiber, thru S4S. It's at the alphared datacenter. OrangeFibre is on 24/7, and was able to help me get more server IP's as well as help when something went wrong with the server. I get very good speeds on that Alpha Red server, and am a happy customer of S4S (in the Alpha Red datacenter)
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by LBX
    Yes.

They are not lying about connectivity. AboveNet is in and they are just waiting on ARIN to assign them an ASN.

If you would look back, people with 0 experience -- much like yourself -- are the ones passing judgment and saying the negative things. Everyone who has actually used them have said nothing but compliments -- of course besides JHosts.
    One can easily obtain an ASN at any given time without so much as 24 - 48 hours notice.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by vidahost
    Holy fnord!
      0 Not allowed!

let them go please, they have enough with not been able to sell servers in this community.. that it is worst than the bashing from a few apples here..not that many people who ARE REALLY USING their services and goods can't comment, cause there are not the many to fill those 700 servers they suppose to have!

i wish there were 500 customers giving their opinion here about the service, and then only then i might not be customer #501 until then i or anybody else who's looking for something cheap and want to try them go for it and a month later come back here and give your opinion, till then all these bashing are waste of time and energy..
    el Dutty-Dutty
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by vidahost
    And it's hosted on PHPBB too!
    I would go with LiquidWeb just based on what I've seen around this forums. That AIM convo that someone posted is definatly a reason not to go with OrangeFiber.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast