Girl pricks students with needle, creating HIV scare

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate...n/11529355.htm

PHILADELPHIA — The case of a needle-wielding youngster pricking more than a dozen pupils at a local elementary school has turned into a nightmare after one of the children was found to be HIV-positive in a preliminary test.

The risk to students who were stuck afterward depends on factors including the depth of the stick, health officials said.

Parents are furious. And scared.

Although district officials would not confirm it during a community meeting, several parents said they were notified by St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children that one of the poked pupils was infected with the AIDS virus.

wow...

OMG!.........
    Speechless

That is the most horrifying thing I've heard in a while. Our poor children can't even go to school safely anymore. It's a shame..
    BliksemHosting.com
    New! End-user support now included
    Shared-->Reseller-->Semi-Dedicated-->CO-OP-->VPS-->Dedicated
    Web Host Magazine May 2006 Editors' Choice for Reseller Web Hosting Services

Its a new trick of shoplisters in Birkenhead/Liverpool area. They carry syringes and threaten to stab you with them unless you move/hand over what they want. And all these doin it are smackheads, so I wouldn't be suprised if they have got aids in the syringe.
    BTi-Hosting.co.uk High quality hosting, low low prices.
    One step ahead of the competition - Today IS tomorrow.
    FraudWise.Net - Fight the fraud!

Originally posted by IH-Ken
    Wow, some people....

Wonder if they have the death penalty in PN, if so...
    What this child did was horrible, never the less it is still a child. Putting children to death is even more horrible then this act of childhood stupidity.

Originally posted by IH-Ken
    Wow, some people....

Wonder if they have the death penalty in PN, if so...
    That's an ingenious idea! Execute a little kid for doing something incredibly stupid and childish! Hah, I'd never have thought of that; you're truly a genius.

I'm sorry, but if the dozen students have HIV, this child deserves the death penalty or life in prison. I feel the government should take very extreme measures to children who purposely spread diseases such as HIV, AIDs, etc.

Meanwhile, the third-grader who started all the trouble has been suspended and likely will be transferred to another school.
    thats it? no criminal charges?
    Kerry Jones

Originally posted by Kerry Jones
    I'm sorry, but if the dozen students have HIV, this child deserves the death penalty or life in prison.
    While I usually dismiss your fairly blinkered view of the world, I'm pretty appalled at your opinion on this one.

Children do some pretty stupid things - it's what makes them children in the first place. If we went off topping any kid who screwed up like this, we'll have a hell of a lot less kids around.

As a parent myself I can empathise with the other parents of those kids who may be infected now, but that's a long way from wishing death on a child.

As many of us 'older people' keep telling you, and you keep denying, you've got a lot of growing up to do yet.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Originally posted by akashik
    As a parent myself I can empathise with the other parents of those kids who may be infected now, but that's a long way from wishing death on a child.
    Only one student tested positive for HIV, and that was in the preliminary test (the first of two -- if the first tests positive -- ELISA tests), 0.2 percent of which yield false positives. Especially if this child was sick already, the test is much more likely to yield a false positive due to the antibodies present when one is sick.

It has not been made clear whether or not the person from whom the needle came originally (supposedly the girl's mother) has the virus or not. If so, there may be reason to worry; otherwise (or unless one of the kids who was stabbed has HIV) there is little reason to worry. However, even if one of the kids does have HIV as a result of that needle, I still don't deem that reason enough to sentence the child to death. I doubt whether or not that child intended to infect her peer(s) with an eventually lethal virus.

akashik, I know its extreme... but when people spread HIV/AIDs on purpose it really enrages the hell out me because of the amount of lifes this idiot kid has ruined. the amount of years taken off the life of these kids are equal to or more to the amount of years the kid would live. I hope that the one who tested postive is the only one who got it.
    Kerry Jones

Disgraceful, that "youngster" needs some discipline.
    If Over 12, then a good few decades would suffice in jail, if over 16, then life in jail.
    Age isn't an excuse.
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

akashik, I know its extreme... but when people spread HIV/AIDs on purpose it really enrages the hell out me because of the amount of lifes this idiot kid has ruined. the amount of years taken off the life of these kids are equal to or more to the amount of years the kid would live. I hope that the one who tested postive is the only one who got it.
    She didn't do it on purpose, I don't know what goes on in a childs mind but for her it was a game, little did she know that one of the kids had HIV. I don't understand how you guys want her to die or go to prison it's just an accident.
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed and Self-Managed hosting solutions
    Toll free: 1.888.915.4400 / Local: 1.514.316.1885 / Live chat
    Cloud VPS Hosting

You're presuming the kid who tested positive got it from the needle, rather than having it already. Until the facts say the needle was the source you're jumping to conclusions.

It worries me that you want to get into politics, and yet support the killing of third graders. I think we have enough bad people in politics without your extra addition.

It was probably something I shouldn't of written, but I would at least like to see her serve in a juvenile detention center until shes 18, so she can realize the consquences of her actions. I feel that if she is allowed at another school she may do it again, which worries me.
    Kerry Jones

I feel that if she is allowed at another school she may do it again, which worries me.
    I'm almost certain that she learned her lesson now.
    Cloud VPS Hosting

Originally posted by J-P
    She didn't do it on purpose, I don't know what goes on in a childs mind but for her it was a game, little did she know that one of the kids had HIV. I don't understand how you guys want her to die or go to prison it's just an accident.
    It would really help if I knew how old this girl was. I said age isn't an issue but within reason.

I'd like to know her age.

Jord
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

Originally posted by effusionx1
    It would really help if I knew how old this girl was. I said age isn't an issue but within reason.

Jord
    I would think 9 or 10 if she's in third grade.
    Cloud VPS Hosting

when people spread HIV/AIDs on purpose
    That's really your take on the article?

What makes you think she went out to spread aids? There is nothing in the article to back that up. Just a kid causing a bit of mischief - you can't draw any sense of motive from that.

Douglas

akashik.

did you not read what I just wrote? It was an extreme comment, but a first time reaction. If you noticed I downgraded it to juvenile detention. after rethinking the matter and talking with a friend on im, I feel the school should raise awareness on these needle games these children play starting as young as pre-k.
    Kerry Jones

That was Douglas who posted that, not me.

Originally posted by effusionx1

Jord
    I would guess 8 to 9 if she's in third grade.

I'm sorry, but if the dozen students have HIV, this child deserves the death penalty or life in prison. I feel the government should take very extreme measures to children who purposely spread diseases such as HIV, AIDs, etc.

thats it? no criminal charges?
    Kerry, your opinions on political and society matters are getting more and more outrageous.

akashik, I'm with you on your opinions on this guy.

my first thoughts were also pretty harsh, but i hadn't read all the article and was under the impression this was a hyperdermic needle, but got to

the girl brought in her mother’s pin-prick, 2 mm in length and used for diabetes-related blood-testing, and began poking other students at breakfast time
    yeah this is a prank that could go horribly wrong if it turns out she did pass on the virus to people, in which case it is just down to it being a horrible accident.
    The girl should not have had access to the needle in the first place, especially if the mother has HIV.

This is one of the scariest things i have ever read and makes me scared to even think of having my own children in a few years.

As far as punishment I don't really think there is much they can do. Sure you can throw them in a childrens detention center until they are 18 but you would just be creating a monster I feel and it's not really what we want to do to children is it?

As far as the death penalty in defense of Kerry he is from Texas so he has an excuse In reality though I think many people (I know I do) sometimes have a very unthought of punishment when we hear about certain crimes and at first we sometimes yall out those thoughts without really thinking it over or thinking about who will be reading it

Originally posted by OKIHost
    This is one of the scariest things i have ever read and makes me scared to even think of having my own children in a few years.
    Are you really saying you wouldn't have children because of this incident? I think it is a once off type incident...

Originally posted by en2
    Are you really saying you wouldn't have children because of this incident? I think it is a once off type incident...
    Oh no I just mean it seems there are so many things it seems these days, I probably just notice it now as I am old but you need to worry about things like this, abduction, molestation, kids getting into fights and killing/stabbing each other and a whole slew of other things.

I doubt this would ever become something we would see very often just very sad and I can't imagine the suffering and worrying these parents are going through right now.

Yeah. My uncle died of AIDS. It was not a pretty sight...

Hopefully the first positive test was a false positive (they happen).

It's sad.

Kerry, your opinions on political and society matters are getting more and more outrageous.

akashik, I'm with you on your opinions on this guy.
    It seems when I write something good people ignored it. If you noticed I wrote something different and people at first have different reactions when reading an article and we are all guilty of it. If you read my final response after thinking on the subject you will see this:

akashik.

did you not read what I just wrote? It was an extreme comment, but a first time reaction. If you noticed I downgraded it to juvenile detention. after rethinking the matter and talking with a friend on im, I feel the school should raise awareness on these needle games these children play starting as young as pre-k.
    focus on the postive comments rather than the negative ones. you've completely skipped it after I thought about it.
    Kerry Jones

Kerry, it's not exactly your comments that people are jumping on, its you're conclusions. You thought the girl brought her mothers needle to school with the intent of spreading a disease.

When I read that article, I saw it as a 3rd grade girl, who sees her mother prick herself (for diabetes), so she brought it to school, and was doing the same to her classmates. How many children do you know that act out what their parents do? A 3rd grader doesn't know any better, and since mommy does it, why not do it for everyone?

HIV/AIDS isn't something that elementary students are taught, and I don't think they should be. Yes, it is a serious topic, but they don't need to know the detailed specifics of AIDS, because then if there is a child that does have AIDS, the kids would be that much more afraid to play with the kid.

Originally posted by amish_geek
    HIV/AIDS isn't something that elementary students are taught, and I don't think they should be. Yes, it is a serious topic, but they don't need to know the detailed specifics of AIDS, because then if there is a child that does have AIDS, the kids would be that much more afraid to play with the kid.
    I tend to agree with you there. It's a fine line between educating a kid and making them grow up too fast. I do think that awareness of needles is something that should be taught however - especially given the disgusting habit junkies have nowdays of leaving needles in playgrounds, public toilets etc.