Accepting more than 1 month payments (merchant provider)

Does anyone know a merchant provider who allows merchants to accept advanced payments for web hosting services? We're using ECHO, but the company won't let us accept payments more than 1 month at a time. This causes high transaction fees as well as high maintenance costs (billing hours for handling denied credit card transactions, emailing expired card holders, and etc.)

We've designed our own payment module using 3rd party API, and other than the problem stated above we have no complaints. The company we're dealing with does not wish to grant us to accept advanced payments, regardless of any and all workaround we're willing to accept. This made us to look for another provider. We have following requirements.

1. Allow us to accept advanced payments
    2. Provides PHP API that we can use to integrate gateway services.
    3. Reasonable fee + D/C rate.
    4. Hopefully the company offers both merchant account and payment gateway services.

Scott

Presently I have been using merchantplus which provides an authorize.net merchant account. If you are in the US it works quite well (of course you have to tweak the AVS settings otherwise it denies anything non-US by default).

-Justin
    Justin Schurawlow :: Technology Enthusiast
    Schurawlow PC Repair
    Computer Services for the Lehigh Valley area
    Blog :: The Justin Schurawlow Blog

Re: Accepting more than 1 month payments (merchant provider)

Originally posted by aladar
    Does anyone know a merchant provider who allows merchants to accept advanced payments for web hosting services? We're using ECHO, but the company won't let us accept payments more than 1 month at a time. This causes high transaction fees as well as high maintenance costs (billing hours for handling denied credit card transactions, emailing expired card holders, and etc.)

We've designed our own payment module using 3rd party API, and other than the problem stated above we have no complaints. The company we're dealing with does not wish to grant us to accept advanced payments, regardless of any and all workaround we're willing to accept. This made us to look for another provider. We have following requirements.

1. Allow us to accept advanced payments
    2. Provides PHP API that we can use to integrate gateway services.
    3. Reasonable fee + D/C rate.
    4. Hopefully the company offers both merchant account and payment gateway services.

Scott
    I used Linkpoint for a while before I settled in on a local bank and hired someone to manage my API connection to them [read] they wrote the interface..

I don't know how they are with chargebacks, etc. I didn't have any. but again, was only there for 7 months.

I sold 12 month and 24 month plans. If they didn't allow it they sure didn't police it because it was clear on my site, and my orders.

I'd also suspect (this is just a guess, don't think i'm claiming to know this) that you probably have slow/bad credit, or very little credit (business wise) because that's a common restriction for companies trying on startups and small companies.

I also know that authotize.net will let you do at least 12 month advance, but you'll go through a structured check, so if credit was the issue, it will be here too.

At least that's my limited experience. I signed up with linkpoint http://www.linkpoint.com/ on a monday, and tuesday evening i was live. no credit checks, no deep company investigations, nothing. a 2 or 3 minute conversation on the phone to get my merchant number. I did get a call shortly thereafter because i accepted Amex and that was handled differently.

I don't know, just my opinon because i have very little experience, but I do know linkpoint was fast, they upheld their statement of 48 hour deposts, and their services didn't faulter. But there's probably otheres here that have a lot more history and knowledge

There are some MAPs that will support the plans that you request depending on the cost of those plans and your location.

The main reason most do not is because of the time issues. If yu start to sell yearly plans and then let's say after 10 months, you go out of business and those customers have to be refunded. If you cannot be found / located, the acquiring bank has to pay those customers and the acquiring bank passes the costs down to the MAP.

LinkPoint, Verisign, and Authorizenet.com will support recurring billing.