Why register my own custom nameservers?

My current host allows me to register my own custom nameservers.

How does this benefit me? What does this do? Does this mean that when someone does a whois on my domain, then the nameservers will be ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com instead of ns1.host.com and ns2.host.com ?

Thanks!
    Gary King

Re: Why register my own custom nameservers?

Originally posted by Gary W
    My current host allows me to register my own custom nameservers.

How does this benefit me? What does this do? Does this mean that when someone does a whois on my domain, then the nameservers will be ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com instead of ns1.host.com and ns2.host.com ?

Thanks!
    Yes, Its good to have if you are a reseller. Gives your biz a more branded look. I am sure there are other reasons but that one comes to mind first.
    Dave

I'm sure the primary appeal of the private nameservers is the fact that the customers won't immediately know that you're a reseller of another company. Then again, if they were to look up the ip address, they'll get more information.

It is more a vanity issue. Of course if you are reselling and you want everything to look as if it is all your business and you do not want your customers to know who your vendor is, you can set up your own DNS.

On the technical end, it does not matter which DNS server you use as long as it works.

Custom Name Server provides a very professional look to your business if you are running a reseller hosting business. At the same time it is true that in case of the custom name servers the site will show the name servers as ns1.yourdomainname.com and ns2.yourdomainname.com rather than ns1.host.com and ns2.host.com

Why use your own nameservers? It provides a more professional look to your clients when you have them use your domain as the nameservers at their registrar.

Another good reason to use your own nameservers is so that you can sell your business or move it to other servers. All the buyer have to do is go to your registrar and repoint your nameservers to their new servers. This will immediately move all the clients to the newservers without any interruption to your clients.

Or let's say the company you're reselling through go out of business. All you need to do is contact a new server company and have them move the files from the old servers, then go to your registrar and repoint your nameservers to the new company's servers.

I have my domain with registerfly and they allow you to register your nameservers that point to your site free of charge. It gives your hosting service a more professional look.

If your reselling i would advice on Custom Nameservers, as said above it makes your company look independant, but a more experienced user could just look up the IP as also said above.
    However i wouldnt go out of your budget just for nameservers.

Originally posted by Francis2005
    I have my domain with registerfly and they allow you to register your nameservers that point to your site free of charge. It gives your hosting service a more professional look.
    Do you mean that registerfly register the custom name servers for free or point to any server for free ???

Aside of the professional aspect (which I could really care less about) it also gives you more control over your DNS. That would be my reason for doing it.

It looks professional with your own ns, also it's better for custemors. Who won't found it strange that you are with example Spiderhosting and your nameservers are example ns1.customhosted.net

I didn't know that I tought it were just the looks